Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results after, downgrade! this is on 10.12.4 beta 6 so only 16 CU. no big deal, I only need the extra power for gaming in windows.
Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 1.50.47 PM.png

did you say the 36 CU unlock doesn't work any more in 10.12.4 beta Gigamaxx?

So i have a weird issue: The kexts that are supposed to be modified are not in /System/Library/Extensions/.

Any help?

I believe this is a complete waste of time.

I got the RX 470 to work on both IGPU CPU and Non-IGPU CPU.

But the performance isn't worth it.
The improvement over a Radeon HD 7950 is vary small, not even 5%
And over a Radeon HD 7850 only very slightly better than what the 7950 got.

I have owned 4 Radeon HD 7950 cards that I bought used for $100 to $150.
The RX 470 cost almost $250 new, and that was supposed to be special pricing.

I was hoping for a worthwhile increase in performance, and reducing power consumption.
The performance and other issues just don't make any sense to use this card.

Requiring IGPU on supported CPU's or a discrete GPU with unsupported IGPU tells me one thing,
The OS is looking for dual graphics as is the case with Mac Pro's.

I've been hacking for more than 8 years and this is worst waste of time ever.

I picked up two 480 8GB for $180 each, I disabled my IGFX and it works also. I just have to leave my monitor off so the card doesn't get initialized before macOS starts up - going to crossfire for windows gaming, almost as fast as a 1070 for quite a bit less so id say its worth it.

Sold my 980Ti for $300 so it was almost an even swap price wise.

I would love to be able to however that requires having the hardware however I can guide you guys on how to patch the info.plist on the fly at boot up time and keep your kexts in S/L/E vanilla and live through an update with out having to reinstall any modified older versions of some kext you have on your desktop. The only thing this will depend on is apple not removing the Baffin line from the kext like they did in one previous update however we can still fool macOS by patching multiples at a time expecting them to move it else where.

To do so all we need is the deviceIDs and VendorID for that given card which is easily acquired via DPCIManger which is available here. Then we open our efi/clover/config.plist with clover configurator which is available here and click on the kernel and kext patches in the left hand pane. In the window hit the + sign under the kext to patch box and add these entries to to it for yours Gigamaxx and anyone else who uses the same deviceIDs and VendorIDs as you do.

Name
AMDRadeonX4100

Find
67E01002

Replace
67DF1002

Then tick the info.plist patch box on the right.

Change the type to data from string.

I like to tick the debug box above the kext to patch box to see the patching at boot up in verbose to see if it did patch it or not. Although this isn't needed but i like to do it until i got it how I like it.

Then make sure you have your FakeID in the devices section 0x67EF1002

Then it looks like you need to inject ATI so on the graphics section tick injectATI and it should work with the native vanilla AMDRadeonX4100.kext

To test make these changes and change your AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/info.plist back to it original.

Then you won't have this kind of problem.

For others with a similar GPU using the Baffin card but maybe have different DeviceIDs simply gather that info from DPCIManger and change the replace value in Kexts to patch section

Hope this help and keeps your systems up to date without the break
Happy Hacking
Carpentry
I tried this method Carpentry but added the AMD9510Controller kext (added the AMDRadeonX4100 as well) but I was unable to get it to work. I had the original kext files in the extensions folder. for the find value I used 67EF1002 as thats the only value in there now, and replace with the same 67DF1002, had injectATI selected and FakeID set to 0x67EF1002. Can this method be updated to work in 10.12.3+, is there something else I should be doing differently?

I got another RX480, and I wish it works without any change but no. How did you make working two RX 480 working?

I got another RX480, and I wish it works without any change but no. How did you make working two RX 480 working?

I ordered a second one too, what does it do for you? I think you need to plug the video into the first card on the main PCIE slot, the second slot disables the video I believe. do you get any video? did you try the other card?

I ordered a second one too, what does it do for you? I think you need to plug the video into the first card on the main PCIE slot, the second slot disables the video I believe. do you get any video? did you try the other card?

Yup, I just followed regular RX480 setting. I was working well when I use one card(XFX) in first PCIe slot.

booting is working if just one card is on the board(I mean power on). but if I put power both on, it let me hang on the boot progress bar in 3/4 area.

It is working well in Windows as Crossfire.

The weird thing is if I put any of these card in second PCIe slot (not in first one), even there is one card in the board, it is not working. (the same problem as hang in the boot progress bar 3/4 stage.)

Sorry my English is bad. But you can understand what is going on.

I am using XFX cards. not the same name but both have the same MHZ and memory.

Help me!!! anyone working both cards working in 10.12.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back