Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a spare or backup Ssd or hdd?

I was able to run 2 RX 480 cards by selecting inject Intel, and no inject ATI, no EDID, no Load Video Bios. Once you have the 4100kext mod done correctly and have accleration you don't need anything for the RX cards to get support.

Try this, use EFIMounter and mount your EFI partition. Open clover folder and pull your config.plist out and save in a folder. Now remove it to trash (no EFI folder in clover).
Next go to main partition using the GO tab/Computer/(select disk Sierra is on)/EFI Backups folder. Open and remove config.plist to trash.

You now have no config.plists in either folder. Now download a new clover bootloader and instal. This should give you a MacBook 1.1 definition in system bios in clover EFI folder.

Run clover configurator and mount EFI partition, go to devices and add Intel fake ID 0x19120003, and then go to graphics section and add ig. Platform 0x0a206080. Don't select inject ATI, or Inject Intel. Set any other fixes you normally run on your system but stay away from sound fixes for now. Run the magic wand and select system definition and make a new serial number. Now remove that serial number and replace with your saved config.plist numbers (if the numbers were good and are important to you).

Close clover configurator and then open EFI folder/partition and check that the fixes and IDs are there. Then reboot, at clover screen check again that you have fixes in graphics section and then boot. Try first without inject Intel and if it doesn't work try inject Intel. Report findings.

Note: Open GL which is most of the programs in OS Sierra will not use the second gpu, but open CL programs like Luxmark will use both cards and double your scores.

Thank you for this. So un-complicated and it just works.

Make sure to remove the info.plist from contents folder to make changes, return it and follow the authentication and replace options. Reboot and check card support status by checking the About this Mac then system report. Go to the Apple on the top left of upper tool bar to select About this Mac.
Wait a minute! Can I do this edit kext thing before i make a UniBeast install USB, or do I have to install it or can I just not edit the kext because luckily I have a Gigabyte 460 4GB. So can I just plug it in and boot macOS Sierra up and install, or do I HAVE to edit the kext ??? Remember today's date of what Sierra updates has released. Plz respond, Gigamaxx!!!

Wait a minute! Can I do this edit kext thing before i make a UniBeast install USB, or do I have to install it or can I just not edit the kext because luckily I have a Gigabyte 460 4GB. So can I just plug it in and boot macOS Sierra up and install, or do I HAVE to edit the kext ??? Remember today's date of what Sierra updates has released. Plz respond, Gigamaxx!!!

Just load UniBeast normally the Gigabyte RX 460 will not need any modifications. Those mods are for the RX 470-480 models. Good luck, when you get to the clover bootscreen, use directional arrows to select " options" scroll to "graphics settings" inject Intel(uncheck) use fake Intel ID 0x19120003, and use ig 0a206080. You may also need to go to binaries and set CPUID to 0x0306A0. Good Luck, the RX 460 will be the easy part.

Just load UniBeast normally the Gigabyte RX 460 will not need any modifications. Those mods are for the RX 470-480 models. Good luck, when you get to the clover bootscreen, use directional arrows to select " options" scroll to "graphics settings" inject Intel(uncheck) use fake Intel ID 0x19120003, and use ig 0a206080. You may also need to go to binaries and set CPUID to 0x0306A0. Good Luck, the RX 460 will be the easy part.
Thank you, man! I'm going to try it when I get home. I'm going to try it without anything, then I'll do the fake ID and stuff. Thanks, man! You are like the biggest help on this site.

To do so all we need is the deviceIDs and VendorID for that given card which is easily acquired via DPCIManger which is available here. Then we open our efi/clover/config.plist with clover configurator which is available here and click on the kernel and kext patches in the left hand pane. In the window hit the + sign under the kext to patch box and add these entries to to it for yours Gigamaxx and anyone else who uses the same deviceIDs and VendorIDs as you do.

Name
AMDRadeonX4100

Find
67E01002

Replace
67DF1002

Then tick the info.plist patch box on the right.

Change the type to data from string.

I like to tick the debug box above the kext to patch box to see the patching at boot up in verbose to see if it did patch it or not. Although this isn't needed but i like to do it until i got it how I like it.

Then make sure you have your FakeID in the devices section 0x67EF1002

Then it looks like you need to inject ATI so on the graphics section tick injectATI and it should work with the native vanilla AMDRadeonX4100.kext

To test make these changes and change your AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/info.plist back to it original.

Then you won't have this kind of problem.

Correct me if im wrong, I dont have a RX 480 yet, but isnt this the best way to enable the card? if you use this method you dont have to mess with the kext files at all and it works after updating the OS as well, you just have clover spoof the ID for you. does this not work? if it does, why are people still manually editing the kext files? it seems like this should be in the OP as the new preferred way to enable the RX 480.

you should really move to patching the graphics on the fly with clover kexts to patch function refer to my post on page 28 post 272 to do this

^

That is how I have been doing it. And yes I can confirm that it works for my ASUS ROG RX480 8G. One additional step that I would add is; after checking InfoPlistPatching, change the "Type/key" to DATA.
Are you using the same values for the Asus ROG card as in the example posted by carpentryplus25?

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if im wrong, I dont have a RX 480 yet, but isnt this the best way to enable the card? if you use this method you dont have to mess with the kext files at all and it works after updating the OS as well, you just have clover spoof the ID for you. does this not work? if it does, why are people still manually editing the kext files? it seems like this should be in the OP as the new preferred way to enable the RX 480.

You can also just use ATI fake ID 0x67EF1002 and oddly sometimes it works or for some people and for others it doesn't. I've had it work on one build and not on another using the same card. If this works for you by all means do it but if it doesn't you can always use the tried and true method of kext mod.

There are two methods, the clover injection and the kext mod method. The clover injection is great until they change something in sierra, and you need to rebuild your config plist to accommodate it. This can take more time than just doing the kext mod. My experience has been that when injecting one thing can cause issues with other things or apps.

I personally, try to keep my clover folder as simple as possible so that there is less to go wrong. For example FCPX crashes when injecting Intel hd 530 and hd 530 requires a lot of clover fixes to get it working coepreectly. I simply use fake ID 0x19120003, and ig 0a206080, and don't inject Intel. I get full metal SKL CRB or " native graphics" for the igpu and apps don't seem to crash. The same goes for hd 4600 and so on. Sierra beta 12.4 has required users to reconfigure their injected values and everytime they change a Framebuffer port or something someone needs to figure the right fix.

It's kinda like the Nvidia drivers you need to wait for the fixes. Using the kext mod takes about 2-3 minutes for me and that's now both the 4100 and 9510 kexts and I'm done. So it takes way less time to fix than the actual update takes to load and reboot twice. It also keeps you fresh on editing skills, and these skills can help for other graphics or other devices you may need to get enabled.

I've also noticed that injecting ATI and other fixes tends to lower benchmarks in open gl apps, the top scores that I've seen have been from minimum injection and kext mods using Skylake cpus.

I understand there are two methods but wouldn't you rather just be able to load macOS and have it work rather than edit the kext files after the fact? the clover method stays the same even if you wipe your OS partition - I would think all that would need to be done is use the ATI fake ID, macos should see it and treat the card as whatever you faking it as. Since you dont need the intel graphics other than to have it be primary in the bios so the RX card doesnt get initialized first, why would you need to inject or mess with the intel HD settings at all?

Again, I dont have a ATI card yet, just trying to figure things out to see if I want to get my hands on one.

Bad news!! I installed it on another hard drive I have windows 10 on 1 hard drive and my Mac on the other well now when I load up the boot to choose where I want to boot from it like skips the macOS drive and boots up windows 10 and I purposely had chosen the macOS drive what do I do!!!omg why is there always a problem with things

Bad news!! I installed it on another hard drive I have windows 10 on 1 hard drive and my Mac on the other well now when I load up the boot to choose where I want to boot from it like skips the macOS drive and boots up windows 10 and I purposely had chosen the macOS drive what do I do!!!omg why is there always a problem with things

Try going into bios and selecting boot option for the Mac disk. If you can't get bios screen, unplug your disk drives and reboot it will default to bios. Also, in bios go to Windows 8.1 and disable it. Windows will still work it just won't auto boot into windows.

I understand there are two methods but wouldn't you rather just be able to load macOS and have it work rather than edit the kext files after the fact? the clover method stays the same even if you wipe your OS partition - I would think all that would need to be done is use the ATI fake ID, macos should see it and treat the card as whatever you faking it as. Since you dont need the intel graphics other than to have it be primary in the bios so the RX card doesnt get initialized first, why would you need to inject or mess with the intel HD settings at all?

Again, I dont have a ATI card yet, just trying to figure things out to see if I want to get my hands on one.

Sierra 12.4 will require you to change that clover injection method so be ready to fool around with it in a week or two. I only need 2-3 minutes to fix mine. Again, there is the load up on clover crowd (inject and leave OS alone), and my preferred option which is leave clover as simple as possible and adjust OS.

The highest benchmarks (equals performance) are obtained when using fully accelerated internal graphics. If I use display 7mb (igpu, IGFX) my Uningine valley extreme hd bench runs around 1800-1850 tops. When I have SKL CRB 1536mb it's 1900-1950 so there is a 5% increase by using it correctly it is integrated graphics mode so you may as well take advantage of the integrated part. When you inject Intel it tends to throw off or initialize the IGFX instead of the RX card in certain apps and it crashes which is why I use fake ID without inject Intel so the RX gets initialized first.

Using inject ATI 0x67EF1002 is hit or miss whereas the kext change works 100% unless you have a troublesome brand card which will give you problems either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back