Contribute
Register

El Capitan & Windows 8 on separate drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
To ensure the Windows is installed in EFI mode, format the drive with OS X disk utility as if you were going to install OS X. In the Windows installer screen where it asks you to select a partition, select the OS X HFS+J partition, click on delete and click on continue. This forces Windows to install UEFI since the drive is formatted GPT. The installer will not create an EFI partition for Windows because one already exists so it will use that one.

So, if starting completely from scratch, what would be the proper order/steps to install Win10 EFI and El Capitan to get Clover and Windows to play right? El Capitan first?

So, if starting completely from scratch, what would be the proper order/steps to install Win10 EFI and El Capitan to get Clover and Windows to play right? El Capitan first?

Same drive or separate? Separate drive it does not matter - just connect the single drive you are installing on for each OS. I suggest for preventing :banghead: later you put the Windows drive in the lowest numbered SATA port.

I really have not had time to do same drive installations for El Cap, so which is best to do first I do not know for sure. I do know that OS X has problems with the Windows MSR partition creating partitions on the drive. Rehabman and I thrashed this out in the thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html .
We also determined that the Windows installer did not create a large enough EFI partition if installed first and OS X refused to install. OS X also does not like the EFI partition not being the first partition on the drive.
So, given the above, I would format and partition the drive in OS X for both OS X and Windows with all planned partitions for OS X accounted for and a single HFS+J partition on the last part of the drive for Windows. Then either install OS X then Windows or Windows then OS X. I would definitely wait until both are installed before installing Clover as the boot loader.

Same drive or separate? Separate drive it does not matter - just connect the single drive you are installing on for each OS. I suggest for preventing :banghead: later you put the Windows drive in the lowest numbered SATA port.

I really have not had time to do same drive installations for El Cap, so which is best to do first I do not know for sure. I do know that OS X has problems with the Windows MSR partition creating partitions on the drive. Rehabman and I thrashed this out in the thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html .
We also determined that the Windows installer did not create a large enough EFI partition if installed first and OS X refused to install. OS X also does not like the EFI partition not being the first partition on the drive.
So, given the above, I would format and partition the drive in OS X for both OS X and Windows with all planned partitions for OS X accounted for and a single HFS+J partition on the last part of the drive for Windows. Then either install OS X then Windows or Windows then OS X. I would definitely wait until both are installed before installing Clover as the boot loader.

Separate SSDs.

Separate SSDs.

1. Install OS X First
  2. Perform OS X Post Install
  3. Ensure OS X boots from SSD in Clover without the USB
  4. In UEFI BIOS (Sata Ports section) disable the OSX SSD then Save & Exit
  5. Insert Windows 10 USB media or CD/DVD media
  6. In the UEFI BIOS Boot Override section, make sure to select your boot media as e.g, UEFI: flash drive name
  7. Install Windows 10 (this will install in UEFI mode)
  8. Ensure Windows 10 boots from SSD without the install media
  9. Boot back into UEFI BIOS and enable the OSX SSD
  10. In UEFI BIOS, Set OSX SSD as First in the Boot Priority Order
  11. Set the Windows 10 SSD as 2nd in the Boot Order then Save & Exit
  12. Boot into Clover
You should now have OSX and Windows in the Clover Menu, both installed in GPT (GUID Partition Table) and both should boot from Clover as each OS has an EFI partition :thumbup:

That's how I did it and luckily, I never had the issues that others have experienced and I did this from scratch with both Windows 10 and Windows 7 before that.

Additional Note: UEFI BIOS:- please ensure both OSX and Win SSDs in your boot order are set as UEFI: SSD name. Do not use the Legacy versions e.g, P1: , P2:, P3; etc, as they do not support UEFI booting !

Last edited:
  1. Install OS X First
  6. In the UEFI BIOS Boot Override section, make sure to select your boot media as e.g, UEFI: flash drive name
  12. Boot into Clover
You should now have OSX and Windows in the Clover Menu, both installed in GPT (GUID Partition Table) and both should boot from Clover as each OS has an EFI partition :thumbup:

That's how I did it and luckily, I never had the issues that others have experienced and I did this from scratch with both Windows 10 and Windows 7 before that.

Additional Note: UEFI BIOS:- please ensure both OSX and Win SSDs in your boot order are set as UEFI: SSD name. Do not use the Legacy versions e.g, P1: , P2:, P3; etc, as they do not support UEFI booting !

First timer - when I'm doing OS X install, post install with multibeast or clover? Assuming clover...

First timer - when I'm doing OS X install, post install with multibeast or clover? Assuming clover...

Post install with MultiBeast will install Clover if you use the right selections.

1. Install OS X First
  12. Boot into Clover

Thank you! This worked like a charm. I have both el capitan and windows 10 installed. UEFI boot times are blazing fast.

1. Install OS X First
  12. Boot into Clover

Thank you for this. I followed, but installed Windows 7, and everything appears to be booting well. There's just one issue...

So in my boot order I have Clover set to first, and Windows Boot Manager second (or disabled, I've tried both ways). Initially this works fine and boots into Clover and from there I can boot into OS X and Windows fine. However after booting into Windows my boot order is changed so that Windows Boot Manager is first and Clover is pushed below to second.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening? It's not the end of the world because I can always just F11 on start-up and manually select Clover, but that's not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back