Contribute
Register

El Capitan on a GA-Z170N-Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you boot in verbose (not safe) mode and wait a while (maybe a minute or two) do you get the prohibited sign and/or the "Still waiting for root device" message?

In general, you may be able to just use the H170N-WIFI guide -- the boards are probably close enough.

That worked for me.

Hi
I have tried and tried the last 14days, read pages and pages for both the GA-Z170N-wifi and the GA-H170N-wifi, BIOS look over and over again, clean unibeast boot, adjusted settings in clover configurator, started with only on-board graphic, started with Gigabyte nvidia 7500ti, tested all the usb ports, made new usb stick and tried it all over again.

Still only get the stop sign - and the verbose text (se pictures):

What are I missing here?
Tell me its a minor detail or 1000 steps to fix this as I am close to dream about a new iMac. No, not yet:)

Config:
GA-Z170N-WIFI (Bios F7)
I5-6600k
Kingston ValueRam DDR4 2133mhz 32gb
Intel onboard 530 or Gigabyte GTX 750TI PhysX
old Seagate 1tb 7200rpm disk (test disk)
Corsair VS550 power supply
Cooler Master Elite 344 mini tower
I have an i7 not an i5, and (right now) only 16GB of RAM, but otherwise a very similar configuration (internal video only). By very carefully following the H170N-WIFI guide (on my Z170-WIFI) I got it to work first time. I didn't see any of the display corruption you are seeing. Do you see display corruption booting (e.g.) an Ubuntu live CD (USB stick)? Slightly non-obvious bits: use a USB2 port (you will need an adaptor), and ensure you are booting UEFI, and select UEFI (not legacy) everywhere.

Hi
I have tried and tried the last 14days, read pages and pages for both the GA-Z170N-wifi and the GA-H170N-wifi, BIOS look over and over again, clean unibeast boot, adjusted settings in clover configurator, started with only on-board graphic, started with Gigabyte nvidia 7500ti, tested all the usb ports, made new usb stick and tried it all over again.

Still only get the stop sign - and the verbose text (se pictures):

What are I missing here?
Tell me its a minor detail or 1000 steps to fix this as I am close to dream about a new iMac. No, not yet:)

Config:
GA-Z170N-WIFI (Bios F7)
I5-6600k
Kingston ValueRam DDR4 2133mhz 32gb
Intel onboard 530 or Gigabyte GTX 750TI PhysX
old Seagate 1tb 7200rpm disk (test disk)
Corsair VS550 power supply
Cooler Master Elite 344 mini tower

Hi JTK1966, I have seen this stop sign on my Z170n-gaming 5, I solved it by using a usb2.0 port(board don't have usb2.0 port, need use 4 pin to usb 2.0 converter)

Hello,
I am planning on switching to the z170n board for my upcoming build.
Were you guys able to follow the h170n guide completely (even using the h170 ssdt) on the z170n board? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Yousef

Hello,
I am planning on switching to the z170n board for my upcoming build.
Were you guys able to follow the h170n guide completely (even using the h170 ssdt) on the z170n board? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Yousef

I have this board (as long as you mean the z170n-wifi) and was able to follow the guide completely in the last two weeks. Internal graphics and 6700k. This is my first Hackintosh build, and I ran into no major problems. I had a shutdown/reboot problem that a check box in clover fixed and an optical drive polling issue. SSDT seems ok, but I have not had the chance to test everything out completely. I did the broadcom chip that is recommended for wifi, and all seems to work alright. I don't have any other apple devices new enough to deal with handoff or continuity, so I'll have to wait to test those

I had hackintoshed a netbook a few years back, and things have change quite a bit since then. The guide was easy to follow and required fewer steps than the netbook.

For me this ended with the stop sign so I decided to use the main installation guid on this website. It worked for me (z170n-wifi) but I still need to enable sound and icloud.

I was able to install El Cap on this board with i5 6600k and GTX950. I have to boot in verbose mode or no go.

I replaced the intel wifi card with a broadcom BCM94352Z and got wifi, bluetooth, and handoff working but it was PITA. El Cap is very finicky when it comes to USB.

Also took days to get iMessage working but found out that it was due to SMBIOS settings. They have to be very exact otherwise your system won't register with iMessage server.

Only thing not working yet is sound... Luckily I have a few USB audio devices.

When i boot using verbose i get stuck on the following screen.

EFsCRNh.jpg

N0LMdrj.jpg

What is the next thing i can try to do?
I Also tried safemode but i doesn't get me any further.

Hey Mrkwkns,

i had the same screen that you post here on the GA-z170n-wifi and a i5-6600. The problem was overcome by changing some bios settings:
  • Storage Boot Option Contro: UEFI Only
  • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled

Now, i get past this screen - but the result is only that the progress bar gets 1/3 of the way to complete before the machine restarts with black screen. I have tried the nv_display=1 with no success. Cannot get any further.

How is this progressing for you?

Hey Mrkwkns,

i had the same screen that you post here on the GA-z170n-wifi and a i5-6600. The problem was overcome by changing some bios settings:
  • Storage Boot Option Contro: UEFI Only
  • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled

Now, i get past this screen - but the result is only that the progress bar gets 1/3 of the way to complete before the machine restarts with black screen. I have tried the nv_display=1 with no success. Cannot get any further.

How is this progressing for you?

Do you mean "nv_disable=1"? Are you using integrated graphics or discrete nvidia board?

I did this build with the z170n-wifi board, 32 gb ram, i7 6700k cpu and the broadcom chip. I still can't get multiple monitor outputs. Anyone had luck? I'm using the intel 530 driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back