1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SOLVED] El Capitan install - no Utilities menu or Disk Utility

[SOLVED]

Hi all,

Brand new to building pc's, much less hackintoshes, have someone with me who's built one before. I haven't been able to find a problem/solution like mine anywhere on the forums so I hope I can gain some assistance here. I am unable to access a Utilities menu, much less Disk Utility, during OSX installation of 10.11.1.

Upon reaching the osx installer, there is no top menu, center menu, or anything. I select my language, come to a page that says:
"OSX
To set up the installation of OS X, click Continue.
To repair your disk using Disk Utility... choose an option from the Utilities menu"

However, there are zero menus, just the buttons Back and Continue. Clicking Continue takes me to the user agreement, then a page that says to select the disk on which to install where only a USB is listed. I hover my mouse around the top hoping something will appear, but there's nothing. (Selecting the USB says there's not enough space on it)

My steps:
Created a bootable USB for 10.11.1 following tonymacx86's directions, using UniBeast, all the way. Selected UEFI boot mode. Easy.

Started up my brand new custom pc (which was exciting!) and set the setting to AHCI. My SSD (Samsung EVO 250gb) shows in the BIOS, as well as the boot usb, and another usb which is probably either my mouse or keyboard. The SSD is boot priority 1, the boot USB priority 2, and the third usb disabled.
VT-d is disabled. Secure Boot mode is disabled. Could not locate CFG-lock or OS Type options.

Saved and exited BIOS, entered Clover boot launcher. Entered the nv_disable=1 bootflag.

The Apple logo appears and the loading bar beneath it - the bar will fill once, the screen will go light gray, and then the Apple logo appears with an empty loading bar that will then load, taking me to the installation menu.

I have remade the boot USB into legacy mode and then again into UEFI mode - in legacy mode, I could not go further than the Clover menu. In my second try of UEFI mode boot usb, I received the same results as before.

Upon attempting to enter the installation in verbose mode - I watched lines of info appear, scroll, appear, etc, then suddenly the screen went light gray, then returned to the black Apple loading screen with the loading bar. Once loaded, this took me to the Select Language part of installation.

Would really appreciate any advice you can offer - thank you!

Specs:
Samsung SSD 850 EVO
ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard
Intel Core i5-4690k @ 3.5gHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Sc
2x4 Crucial Ballistix Sport Series ram 1600

Last edited:
What EXACTLY is your problem? Please describe in two (2!) sentences! After all.... You are supposed to INSTALL - not to access disk utility in the first place, aye? So what happens when you press the install button?

The installation guide on this very site does say to format the destination drive using Disk Utility during installation. If it's a fresh disk then you will have to partition and erase it before you can install to it.

May be a good idea to watch a 'fresh install of El Capitan' kind of video off Youtube, to see what it should all look like.

You may be able to bring up Spotlight by pressing CMD-Space and launch Disk Utility from there.

Hi Hamsterdam

Could you please explain how you solved it? I have tried using both <cmd>-<R> and the option key, but without result. I also don't here the chime when starting up, so I have no idea when to start pushhing the key.

Thx for your help!

Please put your specific motherboard model, CPU model, and GPU model into the system configuration area on the left, and/or your signature. (Just the brand is not enough information.) It's hard to give you good advice without having that information on hand on every post.

Normally, just after you select a language, you get a screen that has a menu at the top with a Utilities option under which you can find Terminal and Disk Utility and etc.

If you're not seeing this, please post a photo of the screen just after selecting a language.

Thx Ammulder. I have updated my profile so you have a better insight in my setup.

I think the problem is that the menu bar is displayed outside the boundaries of my screen. I have no idea how to access it in a visible way, so that makes it hard to get into the menu and select the right options.

I solved the problem anyhow. I inserted the disk I wanted to use in an external cabinet, and formatted it using my Macbook Pro.

Luckily for me, there are Nvidia drivers available for the card I bought. I did not pay attention upon bying the card, but now, it's working fine (except too much overscan). I'm only using a portion of the screen right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back