Contribute
Register

El Capitan - good power without spending too much money, how will this do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC Mate
CPU
Intel i5-4690k
Graphics
GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi! :wave:

Sadly my mobo decided to die on me two days ago. I had a build running Yosemite, but with an old CPU (i5 750) and kinda unstable.

I decided to keep the working bits and discard the rest. I will keep my GPU (Zotac Nvidia GTX 660 2gb), my Tp-Link wifi card and my PSU (Gigabyte 570, 470w output with peaks up to 570w). I will also keep my monitor and keyboard/mouse.

So, this is the configuration I came up with, looking at the suggestion on this site for building a CustoMac Pro. I would like to have all the power I need for some (basic) video and music editing, and basic Photoshop. I would also like to dual boot and game on this setup. Plus, I'd love for this pc to last for quite some time.

Case: Corsair 500R White (Plenty of space and cooling, plus it's just so beautiful :D)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (considered to go for the GA-Z97X-UD5H but it's quite a bit pricey)
CPU: Intel i5-4690K (thinking about OC in the future)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 OC 1866 1x8Gb (would it be better to go for the Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb?)
CPU Fan: Arctic Freezer 7Pro Rev 2, 92mm fan (Not sure if I should go for the i30 extreme...)
SSD 128gb for system files (maybe I should buy two of them and install different OS on each. Would prefer to save money)
HDD (got a 500gb, maybe will upgrade to 2 or 3 tb in the future)

In the future I would also like to upgrade the PSU to a Corsair RM 650 watts, and go for 16 gb of RAM. for now, my PSU should be enough to make this setup work, maybe I will refrain from OC or stressing it too much till the new PSU is installed. Doing it now will definitely exceed my budget and I don't really want to cut on the rest...).

And that's all. So, what do you think about it? My main concern is that I want my CustoMac to run as smooth as possible, and to be reliable. I would love to have the same user experience of My MacBook Pro, as it just works without me having to think about it). Then I want to have enough power when I need it, and also to be able to game at good settings.

Thank you very much!

Hi! :wave:

Sadly my mobo decided to die on me two days ago. I had a build running Yosemite, but with an old CPU (i5 750) and kinda unstable.

I decided to keep the working bits and discard the rest. I will keep my GPU (Zotac Nvidia GTX 660 2gb), my Tp-Link wifi card and my PSU (Gigabyte 570, 470w output with peaks up to 570w). I will also keep my monitor and keyboard/mouse.

So, this is the configuration I came up with, looking at the suggestion on this site for building a CustoMac Pro. I would like to have all the power I need for some (basic) video and music editing, and basic Photoshop. I would also like to dual boot and game on this setup. Plus, I'd love for this pc to last for quite some time.

Case: Corsair 500R White (Plenty of space and cooling, plus it's just so beautiful :D)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (considered to go for the GA-Z97X-UD5H but it's quite a bit pricey)
CPU: Intel i5-4690K (thinking about OC in the future)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 OC 1866 1x8Gb (would it be better to go for the Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb?)
CPU Fan: Arctic Freezer 7Pro Rev 2, 92mm fan (Not sure if I should go for the i30 extreme...)
SSD 128gb for system files (maybe I should buy two of them and install different OS on each. Would prefer to save money)
HDD (got a 500gb, maybe will upgrade to 2 or 3 tb in the future)

In the future I would also like to upgrade the PSU to a Corsair RM 650 watts, and go for 16 gb of RAM. for now, my PSU should be enough to make this setup work, maybe I will refrain from OC or stressing it too much till the new PSU is installed. Doing it now will definitely exceed my budget and I don't really want to cut on the rest...).

And that's all. So, what do you think about it? My main concern is that I want my CustoMac to run as smooth as possible, and to be reliable. I would love to have the same user experience of My MacBook Pro, as it just works without me having to think about it). Then I want to have enough power when I need it, and also to be able to game at good settings.

Thank you very much!

You will probablt wind up replacing the PSU. Old as it is, it probably is not Haswell "ready" or "rated". Check with the OEM vendor and find out if it will work with Haswell hardware.
Would definitely try to go with 2x8 RAM modules. Better to get a match set now than try to match a single module later.
Use new SSD for OS X and old drive for Windows or Linux if dual booting.

Thanks for your reply!

You will probablt wind up replacing the PSU. Old as it is, it probably is not Haswell "ready" or "rated". Check with the OEM vendor and find out if it will work with Haswell hardware.

Yeah, I didn't think about that, but does it really need to be Haswell ready? I mean, the power should be enough...
Despite that I'll try to check if it will work. If not, then I guess I'll replace it with some Corsair with 650w.

Would definitely try to go with 2x8 RAM modules. Better to get a match set now than try to match a single module later.

Well I didn't really want to use 16gb now... they are a bit out of budget, even more so if I'll have to replace the PSU :problem: guess I'll go for the 2x4gb. If I use some "famous" modules I don't think I'll have problem to buy the same kind of RAM in like 6 months...

Use new SSD for OS X and old drive for Windows or Linux if dual booting

Yeah, you're right. I think that it will be the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back