Contribute
Register

El Capitan Beta with Dell XPS 13 9343 (Early 2015 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are on the same page. With the BIOS as is, the stick did boot to the Yosemite installer, tried just before erasing it. Thanks for the thought though.

USB stack is all new in 10.11. Port filters apply to each Mac model. They may or may not match with your own laptop. Custom port injectors can be built, provided appropriate DSDT patches.

You can build a custom port injector or do various renames in DSDT to avoid existing port filters [EHCx->EH0x, XHC1 (if existing name)-> XHC]. Without a matching port filter, system uses DSDT _UPC/_PLD. Not all computers implement _UPC/_PLD per ACPI spec, which Apple relies on heavily. It is likely the port injector capability was put there to correct mistakes in Apple's own DSDTs (or could be an optimization).

More info here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/. Read the entire thread.

Note: I do not recommend using a "dummy" kext (injector with symlink). I think it is better to rename the ACPI objects, and implement a normal injector. You can see examples at all my projects (u430, y50, envy, brix, Probook)... see link in signature.

Most of the time, you have at least one port that works, but it may depend on the BIOS settings you have and what your DSDT is doing with regard to USB2 routing on the XHCI controller.

USB stack is all new in 10.11. Port filters apply to each Mac model. They may or may not match with your own laptop. Custom port injectors can be built, provided appropriate DSDT patches.

Hi, Rehabman, I described in post #1 that

"With BIOS A04 and Clover 3241, the Bluetooth and WebCam were connected to HS03 and HS05 ports of XHC. With BIOS A05 and Clover 3253, they are not connected to any USB ports. If USB 3 is disabled in BIOS, the Bluetooth and WebCam are connected to PR01 of EHC1 (or EH01 after DSDT patch). In cases Bluetooth and WebCam are detected, they do not work. Bluetooth could not pair with Magic Mouse and WebCam simply shows blank. Bluetooth works fine in 10.10.4 with BrcmRAMPatch".

It's totally over me to figure out what is the problem. Do you want to take a look of ioreg's for these situations or you have already seen them before?

You can build a custom port injector or do various renames in DSDT to avoid existing port filters [EHCx->EH0x, XHC1 (if existing name)-> XHC]. Without a matching port filter, system uses DSDT _UPC/_PLD. Not all computers implement _UPC/_PLD per ACPI spec, which Apple relies on heavily. It is likely the port injector capability was put there to correct mistakes in Apple's own DSDTs (or could be an optimization).

More info here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/. Read the entire thread.

Note: I do not recommend using a "dummy" kext (injector with symlink). I think it is better to rename the ACPI objects, and implement a normal injector. You can see examples at all my projects (u430, y50, envy, brix, Probook)... see link in signature.

Most of the time, you have at least one port that works, but it may depend on the BIOS settings you have and what your DSDT is doing with regard to USB2 routing on the XHCI controller.

Okay, sadly and positively we have made progress! Sadly in that it appears our previous work today was for naught as it seems it was a (several) USB stick incompatibility issue. With this known to work stick, the boot process still hangs with the "Still waiting for root device", but with this stick I was able to get past that by pulling the stick at that point and reinserting it into the other (only remaining) USB port. The install proceeded as shown in the pictures below. Eventually, the boot did hang and not proceed beyond the "DSMOS has arrived" post. I tried again with the boot flags of -V and -S with the same result.

I have attached my clover folder as well which has your config with the only modification of the removal of the VboxHFS DisableDrivers, as this machine apparently doesn't like the HFSPlus.efi.

Where to go from here? And thanks as always!

IMG_0843.jpgIMG_0847.jpgIMG_0849.jpgIMG_0852.jpgView attachment CLOVER.zip

Where to go from here? And thanks as always!

View attachment 146816

With UHD, you need to boot the installer with config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=false.

At this stage, you do not have all the requirements met to enable the internal UHD screen (patched IOKit).

Hi, Rehabman, I described in post #1 that

"With BIOS A04 and Clover 3241, the Bluetooth and WebCam were connected to HS03 and HS05 ports of XHC. With BIOS A05 and Clover 3253, they are not connected to any USB ports. If USB 3 is disabled in BIOS, the Bluetooth and WebCam are connected to PR01 of EHC1 (or EH01 after DSDT patch). In cases Bluetooth and WebCam are detected, they do not work. Bluetooth could not pair with Magic Mouse and WebCam simply shows blank. Bluetooth works fine in 10.10.4 with BrcmRAMPatch".

It's totally over me to figure out what is the problem. Do you want to take a look of ioreg's for these situations or you have already seen them before?

You can probably fix it with DSDT patches and a port injector.

Arrange your DSDT objects as such:
EHC1->EH01
EHC2->EH02
XHC (stays the same) [do not rename to XHC1]

This makes certain the USB controllers don't match against any existing port injector (in AppleUSB[XE]HCIPCI.kext)

Then you can create a port injector to enable individual ports on EH01/EH02/XHC and any hubs you might have. See example in my u430 repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch

With UHD, you need to boot the installer with config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=false.

At this stage, you do not have all the requirements met to enable the internal UHD screen (patched IOKit).

Excellent! The boot verbose reporting remained the same, but shortly after the "DSMOS has arrived" post, it did proceed into the installer. Installing now, will report back. Thanks!

Will I need to do the patch IOKit as I have done the DVMT Pre-allocated set to 128MB for UHD?

Will I need to do the patch IOKit as I have done the DVMT Pre-allocated set to 128MB for UHD?

That's a start. Not sure if 128mb is needed with Broadwell, but generally is for Haswell.

You may also need to experiment with various (valid) Broadwell ig-platform-id values.

Excellent! The boot verbose reporting remained the same, but shortly after the "DSMOS has arrived" post, it did proceed into the installer. Installing now, will report back. Thanks!

The install has successfully completed!

Hopefully all of this will help others who may be having trouble. If what was described above occurs, keep trying other USB sticks until you get past the boot hang I was experiencing. AND, boot from the USB with verbose. When the "Still waiting for root device" appears, just pull the USB and insert it into the other USB port. The boot should continue.

And as RehabMan stated, set Intel graphics to false.

Then you can create a port injector to enable individual ports on EH01/EH02/XHC and any hubs you might have. See example in my u430 repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch

I did have EH01/EH02/XHC. As my message said, when Bluetooth was detected it was on XHC/HS03 while WebCam on HS05. If USB is disabled they are both on EH01/PR01, though still not working. With A05/Clover3253 and USB enabled, Bluetooth and WebCam are not attached to any port. See the ioreg attached. I also attached the USB port injector here, the model identifier is now reported as "MacBookPro1", think still not rejected by the system and therefore not a chance to load USB port injector.

Attachments

• xps13_20150809.ioreg.zip
    461.8 KB · Views: 101
  • USBXHC_xps13.kext.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back