Contribute
Register

eelmod: G4 Cube w/ Videos worklog

Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
2,431
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Re: My Next eel Customod !

jpa said:
wooow, is a mini hack? :lol:
:lol: Ha! That's where I took my user name from......
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2011
Messages
10
Motherboard
MacBook Pro 13" 2010
CPU
C2D 2.4GHz
Graphics
Nvidia 320m
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
Re: My Next eel Customod !

I will be following this thread closely as I've been collecting parts for just this kind of mod!

I have been thinking on reusing the original 28 volt 200 watt Cube PSU to keep the original look, but not sure which of the Pico-PSU DC-converters to use; there is a wide-input 84 watt model, but it doesn't seem like it is enough. As an alternative, there are the more powerful models used in cars, but those models are larger and will take up more space.

I've also thought of reusing the original aluminium heatsink connected to the motherboard via some surplus mCubed heatpibes.

Currently I have several candidates for the motherboard: I already own the Gigabyte itx H55-USB3 and the Zotac itx H55ITX-A-E, but am thinking the Sandy Bridge H67/Z68 series may be a better choice...
 

eelhead

Super Moderator
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
3,522
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i5 7600k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Re: My Next eel Customod !

colombodk said:
I will be following this thread closely as I've been collecting parts for just this kind of mod!

I have been thinking on reusing the original 28 volt 200 watt Cube PSU to keep the original look, but not sure which of the Pico-PSU DC-converters to use; there is a wide-input 84 watt model, but it doesn't seem like it is enough. As an alternative, there are the more powerful models used in cars, but those models are larger and will take up more space.

I've also thought of reusing the original aluminium heatsink connected to the motherboard via some surplus mCubed heatpibes.

Currently I have several candidates for the motherboard: I already own the Gigabyte itx H55-USB3 and the Zotac itx H55ITX-A-E, but am thinking the Sandy Bridge H67/Z68 series may be a better choice...
Yeah I am wanting to go Sandybridge route as it will run cooler with that set up.



@ Minihack,
Thanks for the link, I am going to check that out right now!
 

neilhart

Moderator
Joined
May 25, 2010
Messages
2,737
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
Intel i7-7700T (TDP: 35W)
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX960 2GB, ITX
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Re: My Next eel Customod !

The selection of the mini-ITX motherboard is key for joy here. I choose the Zotac H67ITX-C-E for my cube mainly because of the on board PICI-E slot with Wi Fi.

The problem with most mini-ITX motherboards is the location of the 24 pin power connector. most designs has this connector near the edge of the board next to the two DIMM slots. Using a Pico PSU module directly into the 24 pin connector cause interference with the confines of the case.

neil
 

eelhead

Super Moderator
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
3,522
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i5 7600k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Re: My Next eel Customod !

neilhart said:
The selection of the mini-ITX motherboard is key for joy here. I choose the Zotac H67ITX-C-E for my cube mainly because of the on board PICI-E slot with Wi Fi.

The problem with most mini-ITX motherboards is the location of the 24 pin power connector. most designs has this connector near the edge of the board next to the two DIMM slots. Using a Pico PSU module directly into the 24 pin connector cause interference with the confines of the case.

neil
Yeah it is some tight in there lol
I was also eyeing the Zotac board as well because of the Wifi set up.

I shale see what I can manage with the power hook up.
I'm really excited and can't wait for some funds to get this project going.

dddirtman said:
nice can't wait to see your solution to this build.....
pix please... :D
Oh yeah there will be pics!!
I did not take any of the tare down but it is now stripped down and me sitting over it pondering an awesome solution to fitting stuff in it lol
 

neilhart

Moderator
Joined
May 25, 2010
Messages
2,737
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
Intel i7-7700T (TDP: 35W)
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX960 2GB, ITX
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Re: My Next eel Customod !

eelhead,

I looked at the Intel mini-ITX motherboard with interest. It is DH61AD, a low profile card that accepts 2nd gen Intel iCore CPUs and has two onboard mini-PCI-E slots, accepts DDR3 SO DIMMs AND has onboard DC to DC PSU where the input is 19VDC.

My knee jerk reaction was to go price out a system and check the CPU table. It appears that the ideal CPU for this card would be an i3-2125 (street price US $ 130), The MB is available from Amazon for about US $100. 8GB SO DIMM 1333 MHz for $ 30.

This thing should be able to run OS X Lion and HD3000 (with the CPU identified). However I have not found anyone actually admitting to have this combination running.

With my experience trying to get a PICO PSU to fit into a G4 Cube and space for the Proximity Switch board and harness, this card would be a breeze.

I have my mind set to try again with the Zotac H67IXT-C-E before giving up. If I were stating fresh, the Intel DH61AG motherboard would be my current choice. I did see that some expect Gigabyte to produce a version of the Intel design (just no date).



neil
 

eelhead

Super Moderator
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
3,522
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i5 7600k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Re: My Next eel Customod !

neilhart said:
eelhead,

I looked at the Intel mini-ITX motherboard with interest. It is DH61AD, a low profile card that accepts 2nd gen Intel iCore CPUs and has two onboard mini-PCI-E slots, accepts DDR3 SO DIMMs AND has onboard DC to DC PSU where the input is 19VDC.

My knee jerk reaction was to go price out a system and check the CPU table. It appears that the ideal CPU for this card would be an i3-2125 (street price US $ 130), The MB is available from Amazon for about US $100. 8GB SO DIMM 1333 MHz for $ 30.

This thing should be able to run OS X Lion and HD3000 (with the CPU identified). However I have not found anyone actually admitting to have this combination running.

With my experience trying to get a PICO PSU to fit into a G4 Cube and space for the Proximity Switch board and harness, this card would be a breeze.

I have my mind set to try again with the Zotac H67IXT-C-E before giving up. If I were stating fresh, the Intel DH61AG motherboard would be my current choice. I did see that some expect Gigabyte to produce a version of the Intel design (just no date).



neil
Oh wow thanks a lot, will def look at this set up.
I might know a couple of people who might be able to help me out with getting OS X on it :D

Maybe if it's all compatible would be a nice cheap set up for other mini builds as well.

Thanks a lot neil!
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
3,593
Motherboard
ASUS P5Q
CPU
Q8200
Graphics
HD 5750
Mobile Phone
Android
Re: My Next eel Customod !

Go with the Core i3 2125, if you don't want artifacts or less than the 2105. :thumbup:
 
Top