Contribute
Register

eelmod: G4 Cube w/ Videos worklog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: My Next eel Customod !

jpa said:
wooow, is a mini hack? :lol:

:lol: Ha! That's where I took my user name from......

I will be following this thread closely as I've been collecting parts for just this kind of mod!

I have been thinking on reusing the original 28 volt 200 watt Cube PSU to keep the original look, but not sure which of the Pico-PSU DC-converters to use; there is a wide-input 84 watt model, but it doesn't seem like it is enough. As an alternative, there are the more powerful models used in cars, but those models are larger and will take up more space.

I've also thought of reusing the original aluminium heatsink connected to the motherboard via some surplus mCubed heatpibes.

Currently I have several candidates for the motherboard: I already own the Gigabyte itx H55-USB3 and the Zotac itx H55ITX-A-E, but am thinking the Sandy Bridge H67/Z68 series may be a better choice...

colombodk said:
I will be following this thread closely as I've been collecting parts for just this kind of mod!

I have been thinking on reusing the original 28 volt 200 watt Cube PSU to keep the original look, but not sure which of the Pico-PSU DC-converters to use; there is a wide-input 84 watt model, but it doesn't seem like it is enough. As an alternative, there are the more powerful models used in cars, but those models are larger and will take up more space.

I've also thought of reusing the original aluminium heatsink connected to the motherboard via some surplus mCubed heatpibes.

Currently I have several candidates for the motherboard: I already own the Gigabyte itx H55-USB3 and the Zotac itx H55ITX-A-E, but am thinking the Sandy Bridge H67/Z68 series may be a better choice...

Yeah I am wanting to go Sandybridge route as it will run cooler with that set up.

@ Minihack,
Thanks for the link, I am going to check that out right now!

The selection of the mini-ITX motherboard is key for joy here. I choose the Zotac H67ITX-C-E for my cube mainly because of the on board PICI-E slot with Wi Fi.

The problem with most mini-ITX motherboards is the location of the 24 pin power connector. most designs has this connector near the edge of the board next to the two DIMM slots. Using a Pico PSU module directly into the 24 pin connector cause interference with the confines of the case.

neil

neilhart said:
The selection of the mini-ITX motherboard is key for joy here. I choose the Zotac H67ITX-C-E for my cube mainly because of the on board PICI-E slot with Wi Fi.

The problem with most mini-ITX motherboards is the location of the 24 pin power connector. most designs has this connector near the edge of the board next to the two DIMM slots. Using a Pico PSU module directly into the 24 pin connector cause interference with the confines of the case.

neil

Yeah it is some tight in there lol
I was also eyeing the Zotac board as well because of the Wifi set up.

I shale see what I can manage with the power hook up.
I'm really excited and can't wait for some funds to get this project going.

dddirtman said:
nice can't wait to see your solution to this build.....
pix please... :D

Oh yeah there will be pics!!
I did not take any of the tare down but it is now stripped down and me sitting over it pondering an awesome solution to fitting stuff in it lol

eelhead,

I looked at the Intel mini-ITX motherboard with interest. It is DH61AD, a low profile card that accepts 2nd gen Intel iCore CPUs and has two onboard mini-PCI-E slots, accepts DDR3 SO DIMMs AND has onboard DC to DC PSU where the input is 19VDC.

My knee jerk reaction was to go price out a system and check the CPU table. It appears that the ideal CPU for this card would be an i3-2125 (street price US $ 130), The MB is available from Amazon for about US $100. 8GB SO DIMM 1333 MHz for $ 30.

This thing should be able to run OS X Lion and HD3000 (with the CPU identified). However I have not found anyone actually admitting to have this combination running.

With my experience trying to get a PICO PSU to fit into a G4 Cube and space for the Proximity Switch board and harness, this card would be a breeze.

I have my mind set to try again with the Zotac H67IXT-C-E before giving up. If I were stating fresh, the Intel DH61AG motherboard would be my current choice. I did see that some expect Gigabyte to produce a version of the Intel design (just no date).

neil

neilhart said:
eelhead,

I looked at the Intel mini-ITX motherboard with interest. It is DH61AD, a low profile card that accepts 2nd gen Intel iCore CPUs and has two onboard mini-PCI-E slots, accepts DDR3 SO DIMMs AND has onboard DC to DC PSU where the input is 19VDC.

My knee jerk reaction was to go price out a system and check the CPU table. It appears that the ideal CPU for this card would be an i3-2125 (street price US $ 130), The MB is available from Amazon for about US $100. 8GB SO DIMM 1333 MHz for $ 30.

This thing should be able to run OS X Lion and HD3000 (with the CPU identified). However I have not found anyone actually admitting to have this combination running.

With my experience trying to get a PICO PSU to fit into a G4 Cube and space for the Proximity Switch board and harness, this card would be a breeze.

I have my mind set to try again with the Zotac H67IXT-C-E before giving up. If I were stating fresh, the Intel DH61AG motherboard would be my current choice. I did see that some expect Gigabyte to produce a version of the Intel design (just no date).

neil
Oh wow thanks a lot, will def look at this set up.
I might know a couple of people who might be able to help me out with getting OS X on it :D

Maybe if it's all compatible would be a nice cheap set up for other mini builds as well.

Thanks a lot neil!

kool ....a little off subject but is there an advantage to updating your bios..all the way.
reason is I'm using the same motherboard as u with no issues...

Go with the Core i3 2125, if you don't want artifacts or less than the 2105. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back