Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 X58 Sabertooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU ROCK BUDDY...........A True Inspiration for all of us OSx86 aspirees.

osxnewb said:
Beautiful build. Since you used the same motherboard, I'd like to see if you could help me out with my build.

I have an ASUS Sabertooth X58 as well on the 1201 BIOS (newest BIOS wouldn't boot past "PCI Config. Begin"), 12Gb RAM, EVGA GTX 570 HD 1250Mb, i7 950, 1.5Tb 7200rpm Hdd. I've been trying forever to get a stable config for Logic Studio recording.

I installed 10.7 using Un1Be4st, updated to 10.7.3 using combo updater downloaded from Apple (not auto update), used UserDSDT and the DSDT from T0nyM4c for Asus Sabertooth x58 1201, the AppleHDA ALC892 from Toleda for audio, Isntalled CUDA and used the 10.7.2/10.7.3 combo patch from Mul+IB3ast to enable the GTX570 OpenGL, and used Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6 for 10.7 from Mul+IB3ast to enable network. Then I installed Logic 9, updated it to 9.1.7, installed the kexts for my ProFire 610 interface, and turned everything on.

The audio plays ok if I run an iTunes song. Luxmark says my GTX570 scores an 876, it should be wayyyy higher. If I open a blank project in Logic and do nothing the CPU meter spikes constantly in one core (usually the last one). If I try to record voice through my ProFire 610 (works on other Mac's), it gives a gross techno noise, no voice, levels jump around. Overloads when I try to play back.

I don't know what's wrong, I've tried a hundred different installations, I just want to make music. I need your help T_T

Also, when I sleep it, it just goes black screen and the system stays on. Hit a key, the login screen shows up and I login

I am unsure what issues could be causing this.

I am using a 6870 and my Audio is running through my Cinema Display via USB.
I know my motherboard Audio works because I do have a set of Insignia computer speakers hooked up that I use every so often but they run through the motherboard and not the GPU.

I am at 1304 bios and DSDT.
I used this guide originally for my install http://jeffsprotberry.com/theblog/2011/ ... nd-i7-950/

Firstoff, great build. looks awesome.

I followed that guide as well and built my X58 Sabertooh x1304 setup a couple months back.

I'm running dual GTX46x cards, OSX10.6.8 and started experiencing the "fermi freeze." I read that OSX 10.7 will address this issue so i started prepping.

I tried using xMove to create a partition and boot from there, but no luck booting.
I then tried using Unibeast to boot from a thumb drive but again no luck booting.

When booting with -v through Unibeast, It kernel panics at ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5].

It'll still boot into Snow Leopard though... what bios settings are you using? I'm almost dead positive i'm overlooking something in my bios but cant seem to figure/remember what it is.

system resume is set to S3.

chinkst3r said:

I followed that guide as well and built my X58 Sabertooh x1304 setup a couple months back.

I'm running dual GTX46x cards, OSX10.6.8 and started experiencing the "fermi freeze." I read that OSX 10.7 will address this issue so i started prepping.

I tried using xMove to create a partition and boot from there, but no luck booting.
I then tried using Unibeast to boot from a thumb drive but again no luck booting.

When booting with -v through Unibeast, It kernel panics at ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5].

It'll still boot into Snow Leopard though... what bios settings are you using? I'm almost dead positive i'm overlooking something in my bios but cant seem to figure/remember what it is.

Have a looksy here http://jeffsprotberry.com/theblog/2011/ ... h-to-lion/

I have the list of Bios checkoffs but it is at home and I am at work :/
So hopefully Jeff there has it out lined for you.

eelhead said:
chinkst3r said:

Have a looksy here http://jeffsprotberry.com/theblog/2011/ ... h-to-lion/

I have the list of Bios checkoffs but it is at home and I am at work :/
So hopefully Jeff there has it out lined for you.

I'll have to try that when I get home. Thanks for the information! If you don't mind sharing your Bios checkoffs, I'd like to check it out and make sure I've got it set-up properly :D Thanks again!

I just got home and tried to follow that guide. Still getting the same kernel panic in the same area.

I tried doing a clean setup by starting over and manually mounting the installer. Deleted the files. Same KP... any other ideas?

Update: ok, so I was able to install Lion, but had to boot the installer using rBoot with the files deleted. Now I can only boot into Lion through rBoot, if i try to boot without it, it'll KP with the same error. i've also installed necessary files through Multibeast.

chinkst3r said:
I just got home and tried to follow that guide. Still getting the same kernel panic in the same area.

I tried doing a clean setup by starting over and manually mounting the installer. Deleted the files. Same KP... any other ideas?

Update: ok, so I was able to install Lion, but had to boot the installer using rBoot with the files deleted. Now I can only boot into Lion through rBoot, if i try to boot without it, it'll KP with the same error. i've also installed necessary files through Multibeast.

Update Bios to latest version and also have matching DSDT for it

On the first BIOS screen, arrow down to the entry labeled Storage Configuration, hit Enter, and change “Configure SATA as” to AHCI. Press Escape once.

Next, arrow over to the Advanced tab, then arrow down to the section labeled Onboard Devices Configuration. Hit Enter, find the SATA Controller entry, and set it to AHCI.

Press Escape.

Arrow over to the Power section and set Suspend Mode to S3 only.

Finally, arrow over to the Boot tab, hit Enter on Boot Device Priority, and set your first boot device to boot first from your DVD drive, then set your second boot device as your primary hard drive.

Hit F10 to exit the bios while saving settings.

Any issues disable USB3 and Ethernet, reactivate after install.
Only have DVD drive and HDD your going to do install on in SATA ports 0 and 1 (or 1 and 2, I cannot remember the numbering but its the first two)
Follow which ever guide (Snow Leo or Lion Unibeast) with Unibeast make sure USB drive is plugged into the rear IO 2.0 USB port.

eelhead said:
Update Bios to latest version and also have matching DSDT for it

On the first BIOS screen, arrow down to the entry labeled Storage Configuration, hit Enter, and change “Configure SATA as” to AHCI. Press Escape once.

Next, arrow over to the Advanced tab, then arrow down to the section labeled Onboard Devices Configuration. Hit Enter, find the SATA Controller entry, and set it to AHCI.

Press Escape.

Arrow over to the Power section and set Suspend Mode to S3 only.

Finally, arrow over to the Boot tab, hit Enter on Boot Device Priority, and set your first boot device to boot first from your DVD drive, then set your second boot device as your primary hard drive.

Hit F10 to exit the bios while saving settings.

Any issues disable USB3 and Ethernet, reactivate after install.
Only have DVD drive and HDD your going to do install on in SATA ports 0 and 1 (or 1 and 2, I cannot remember the numbering but its the first two)
Follow which ever guide (Snow Leo or Lion Unibeast) with Unibeast make sure USB drive is plugged into the rear IO 2.0 USB port.

hmmm... looks like i had everything set like you did with the 1304 Bios. It boots with rBoot but not on it's own. Still stuck at the same error with Kernel_task as the BSD.

I even installed the AICPUPM.kext patch from multibeast but problem still exists. Maybe it has something to do with my DSDT that I edited... i'll have to try and look into that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back