Contribute
Register

Editing AGPM to prevent GTX4XX Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
james_is_15_88 said:
jvangorkum said:
Just did this for my GTX560ti on MacPro5,1 and it's running faster en crash less! :)

Yea but it's still not a solution

how so? My card hasn't card since..

More freezes :rolleyes: Just picked up a 6870 off newegg for $120 after rebate / google offers code. Should be able to sell my GTX 460 for 100 or so... I figure it's probably easier (and quicker) to make the $20 than to mess around with a fix for this card.

well, my crashes are back, even after i have disabled flash hw acceleration and set everything up as described in the beginning of this thread/topic/whatever. but i still think it's flash related

Hi guys
I have GTX 470, 10.7.2, MacPro4,1. AGPM is loading and I can even see in Console that it switches to the state 0 when I run CineBench. But the result is still 23fps... What prevents from my card using it's whole power?
And btw what do the numbers that I change in AGPM mean? Do they have an impact on performance, clock speed and so on?
My AGPM looks like
Code:
<key>MacPro4,1</key>
			<dict>
				<key>Vendor10deDevice06cd</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Heuristic</key>
					<dict>
						<key>ID</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<key>IdleInterval</key>
						<integer>2000</integer>
						<key>SensorOption</key>
						<integer>1</integer>
						<key>TargetCount</key>
						<integer>5</integer>
						<key>Threshold_High</key>
						<array>
							<integer>85</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
							<integer>198</integer>
							<integer>199</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Threshold_Low</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>70</integer>
							<integer>198</integer>
							<integer>199</integer>
						</array>
					</dict>
					<key>LogControl</key>
					<integer>1</integer>
					<key>control-id</key>
					<integer>17</integer>
Thanks

RastaFeri said:
well, my crashes are back, even after i have disabled flash hw acceleration and set everything up as described in the beginning of this thread/topic/whatever. but i still think it's flash related

I thought that too, since most of the time the freezes were w/ flash video. However a couple times I got freezes just listening to turntable.fm which is HTML5 based, and even once computer froze just sitting idle (i left it on all day). Hopefully they come up with some kind of fix soon... some people claim editing the graphics kext to prevent the card from rapidly switching power states resolves the issue. Never tried it so I can't say...

now i made another observation - when i start boinc with Einstein@home project (CUDA enabled, CUDA drivers installed) right after boot or after wake, i run it for a couple of minutes (5-10) and then stop and quit boinc, i think my computer won't freeze until it's turned off or until going to sleep mode.... the only issue about this is that i have to not forget to start boinc, even after computer wake.

i have to observe this a bit further, but as silly as it sounds, i think it works. i also noticed
some graphics enhancements - the animations in lion are more 'fluent' than before

piggy backing off what RastaFeri wrote above, here's what I'm doing to prevent the freeze. The oddest thing about all this is that in 10.7 and 10.7.1 the Fermi Freeze was completely gone on my setup (with a GTX460). I tried rolling back drivers, but that didn't work. Anyhow, onto the 'fix' -

Download the attached program and install the latest CUDA drivers to your computer. Once launched, move the application's slider so you're generating ~150 triangles. You can now either minimize the program, move it to a different space, or, even better, hide it by using Command H. Since there's no dock icon it's almost completely transparent once this is done. This also takes up scant resources - on my GTX460 (which i overclocked with a modded BIOS) this raises the card's temperature roughly 2C. by comparison, watching a GPU-accelerated video will push it up by ~15C.

As an added bonus, since this is pulling your card out of the lowest clock settings, you should notice a much faster UI if you hadn't already edited your AGPM.

I've yet to crash my system using this, meanwhile I'll usually have a couple of hours before a freeze without it. This works on both Lion and Snow Leopard.

Attachments

• CUDA-Test.app.zip
    19.4 KB · Views: 207
I'll give that a try since I'm running Lio0n 10.7.2 Have MacPro5,1 smbios and have edited AGPM kext.
My system is running fine but still freezes from time to time. I think flash is the trouble somehow?

Ed

Does this fix make sense for me if I only have the HD3000 graphics? Or is this for discrete graphics cards only? Starting the CUDA app doesn't work for me like that. So should I go ahead and download the drivers or is that pointless?

kryz said:
Does this fix make sense for me if I only have the HD3000 graphics? Or is this for discrete graphics cards only? Starting the CUDA app doesn't work for me like that. So should I go ahead and download the drivers or is that pointless?
Cuda is for Nvidia Cards! so no sense for HD3000!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back