Editing AGPM to prevent GTX4XX Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is what I got:

System:
MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
CPU: Intel Q6600 @2.4GHz
Mem: 2GB DDR2 @800MHz
GPU: MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @810 MHz (using single DVI out @1920x1080)

What I did:
Installed MultiBeast with Chimera, tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update 2.0 and Retail_256.01.00f03v7 from Nvidia. Everything is working nice.
After all this I read your thread and downloaded your AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, apply it with KextUtility, change my SMBios.plist to iMac12,1 and reboot.
Just like user darkstargtk, I can't see anything in Console about AGPM. I tested the YoutubeHD video and resized to full-screen and reverse and open dashboard/spaces got no errors in all tests.
Cinebench Score is ~18fps (witch is very low for this card).

I'm now testing to get the first KP or Freeze in this fresh install (its a virgin :D ).
Can you help me to find a way to see if AGPM.kext is loading so I can see the GPU current state?

Thanks

change for 3.1 not 12.1

DoubleV said:
So this is what I got:

System:
MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
CPU: Intel Q6600 @2.4GHz
Mem: 2GB DDR2 @800MHz
GPU: MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @810 MHz (using single DVI out @1920x1080)

What I did:
Installed MultiBeast with Chimera, tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update 2.0 and Retail_256.01.00f03v7 from Nvidia. Everything is working nice.
After all this I read your thread and downloaded your AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, apply it with KextUtility, change my SMBios.plist to iMac12,1 and reboot.
Just like user darkstargtk, I can't see anything in Console about AGPM. I tested the YoutubeHD video and resized to full-screen and reverse and open dashboard/spaces got no errors in all tests.
Cinebench Score is ~18fps (witch is very low for this card).

I'm now testing to get the first KP or Freeze in this fresh install (its a virgin :D ).
Can you help me to find a way to see if AGPM.kext is loading so I can see the GPU current state?

Thanks
can you send me your original copy of AGPM.kext? Kext Utility should've made a backup to the root of your drive. with your system specs, perhaps it'd be better if you try MacPro4,1. i'll post up an edited version tailored for that as soon as possible.

i'm not sure why the kext isn't loading for some systems. o_O

actually, can you also send me a copy of your console log while you're in All Messages (go to File > Save a Copy As...)?

I think my console messages backup doesn't have all messages you need because I booted "ignore caches" after a few boots.

Attached the original AGPM.kext.

After the fresh install, in the MultiBeast install I selected "MacPro3,1".

Thanks

PS: I am willing to do a new fresh install if you want me to. I got my first freeze today :crazy:

Attachments

• AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip
    76.9 KB · Views: 96
  • AllMessages.log
    369.5 KB · Views: 115
DoubleV said:
I think my console messages backup doesn't have all messages you need because I booted "ignore caches" after a few boots.

Attached the original AGPM.kext.

After the fresh install, in the MultiBeast install I selected "MacPro3,1".

Thanks

PS: I am willing to do a new fresh install if you want me to. I got my first freeze today :crazy:

The AGPM only loads on MacPros 4,1 and onwards. Also on newer (and not that newer) iMacs, Mac minis, Xserve and MacBooks.

You have to check the kext's Info.plist for the supported systems.

If you use MacPro4,1 make sure to delete/disable AppleTyMCE kext or you'll get a KP on boot. Besides that, there's no differences between MacPro3,1 and 4,1. I had 3,1 before.

Cheers!

just as i thought - the AGPM you provided is an earlier version than the one i have. perhaps that's because of the Sandy Bridge iMac/Macbook Pro updates i installed?

regardless, I've attached an edited version for your testing. i created a key for MacPro3,1 (have no idea if that'll work), added the keys to MacPro4,1 MacPro5,1 iMac11,1 and iMac12,1. i'll test it on my system right now to make sure there are no formatting errors in the kext.

if AGPM doesnt load for you on MacPro3,1 you should use Multibeast to swap out to a MacPro4,1 SMBOIS.plist

i should also point out - left the hackintosh on overnight and used it all day yesterday without a single crash. still working :D

Attachments

• AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip
    76.7 KB · Views: 132
It seams to be working now :D

I attached a print screen from console.

I installed the AGPM.kext in your previous post and changed SMBios.plist to MacPro4,1 and removed AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

Now AGPM appears to be enable. I can't say if my GPU Fans are running faster than they should because I can't know what speed but they sound accelerating randomly.

Cinebench is still on ~18fps.

Thanks

Attachments

• AGPMConsole.png
    AGPMConsole.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 283
Just a quick question, which I asked in other similar tread aswell,
does this fix means the card will significantly have more power usage? how this effects heating/power consumption?

Thanks

zurih said:
does this fix means the card will significantly have more power usage? how this effects heating/power consumption?

Thanks

From what I conclude, yes. Instead of having 4 power states on your GPU (State 0 , 1 , 2 and 3), we have only States 0 to 2 where 0 is the highest and 3 the lowest power consumption state. The Freeze issue starts when state 3 comes up (when GPU idles).

Although I can see only states 2 and 1 in console log. Never state 0! And state 3 only shows up right after boot.

That might be why my GPU Fans are ramdomly speeding and slowing in normal computer usage.

Perhaps it only appens with me. But is strange why can't I get better scores on Cinebench than before the fix! Do I need to install Cuda drivers?

PS: My System is stable, fast and smooth like never before. I think theres a good change of beating my last attempt of Freeze/KP Fix. Going to 3 hours :headbang:

DoubleV said:
zurih said:

Thanks

From what I conclude, yes. Instead of having 4 power states on your GPU (State 0 , 1 , 2 and 3), we have only States 0 to 2 where 0 is the highest and 3 the lowest power consumption state. The Freeze issue starts when state 3 comes up (when GPU idles).

Although I can see only states 2 and 1 in console log. Never state 0! And state 3 only shows up right after boot.

That might be why my GPU Fans are ramdomly speeding and slowing in normal computer usage.

Perhaps it only appens with me. But is strange why can't I get better scores on Cinebench than before the fix! Do I need to install Cuda drivers?

PS: My System is stable, fast and smooth like never before. I think theres a good change of beating my last attempt of Freeze/KP Fix. Going to 3 hours :headbang:

If it operates at maximum speed all the time, can't it break at some point? or cause an over-heat in the case to other computer components over time? I mean, how viable is a card that operates at maximum power ALL the time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back