Contribute
Register

Editing AGPM to prevent GTX4XX Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Download the CUDA drivers I linked to above. The preference pane will say it's outdated, but they still seem to work fine. Once installed, go to HD -> Library -> LaunchAgents and delete the CUDA/Nvidia file so that you're not bugged by the preference pane on every reboot.

I forget - does MacPro3,1 not work with AGPM? If so you'll have to switch to another system.

scorcho said:
Download the CUDA drivers I linked to above. The preference pane will say it's outdated, but they still seem to work fine. Once installed, go to HD -> Library -> LaunchAgents and delete the CUDA/Nvidia file so that you're not bugged by the preference pane on every reboot.

I forget - does MacPro3,1 not work with AGPM? If so you'll have to switch to another system.

I'm loving Lion. Its stable and smooth. Some graphical transitions as going to dashboard, going to FullScreen app or quitting from it are laggy.

My Cinebench score with MacPro3,1 and my MSI GTX460 HAWK is 22.61fps. Im looking forward to see if it can be improved. :)

I forgot how to change to MacPro4,1. After changing in SMBios.plist do I need to do anything else?

maxence5211 said:
Scorcho, do you think that your tutorial will work with a GTS 450 ? ID : 0x0dc4

For the moment, the only solution that I have is... Run VLC. Any other solutions ? My PC still freeze. Will this be fixed in lion ? (Available this month ?)

i have the same device-id card (an evga) and it works great now, no edits to the kext requierd, i just had to make sure i was using a chameleon build over 1000. i even got rotation back on the second screen!

no lockups but only been running for a day.

DoubleV said:
scorcho said:

I'm loving Lion. Its stable and smooth. Some graphical transitions as going to dashboard, going to FullScreen app or quitting from it are laggy.

My Cinebench score with MacPro3,1 and my MSI GTX460 HAWK is 22.61fps. Im looking forward to see if it can be improved. :)

I forgot how to change to MacPro4,1. After changing in SMBios.plist do I need to do anything else?

Yes you need to get rid of AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from S/L/E and then load AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. You can also add your device id(see beginning of thread or viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13524) to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext under the MacPro4,1 section. BTW with the release of the newest Nvidia drivers for 10.6.8 I am not sure if there is any advantage to doing this anymore as opengl/cuda all run fine with MacPro3,1 profile.

Trom said:
DoubleV said:
scorcho said:

Yes you need to get rid of AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from S/L/E and then load AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. You can also add your device id(see beginning of thread or viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13524) to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext under the MacPro4,1 section. BTW with the release of the newest Nvidia drivers for 10.6.8 I am not sure if there is any advantage to doing this anymore as opengl/cuda all run fine with MacPro3,1 profile.

So what I've done was:

1-Backup AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from S/L/E then erased it.
2-Change SMBios.plist to MacPro4,1
3-Open Console and filter text to 'AGPM'

Nothing showed on the searched for AGPM so I think its not loading. I already repaired permissions and booted ignoring caches..

PS: I'm using Lion now. In SL I think that by doing the steps above everything went well.

Just post my experience.

460gtx 786m
Mac Pro 3.1
No agpm edited nor loaded.
Nvidia latest drivers.
Latest Cuda
Chimera Bootloader (upgraded from latest multibeast)
Opengl app

Working order, dunno with apps yet. Always get random freezes and kp
before upgrading to 10.6.8, and im testing right now if Im still getting them.

Just run cinebench 11.5

41.25 open gl
8.49 cpu
1.69 single cpu.

I had 3 kp in a row with aperture 3 this evening. I should mention I've never been
able to run cinebench before updating the nvidia drivers (always kp)

You guys think editing and loading the agpm will make the difference?

All I can think of is wait for lion I guess.

Cheers guys!!

EDIT 1: Just kp while i was testing a call with facetime from my iphone. This havent changed, always got a KP with it. Dunno whether or not is the camera.

DoubleV said:
So what I've done was:

1-Backup AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from S/L/E then erased it.
2-Change SMBios.plist to MacPro4,1
3-Open Console and filter text to 'AGPM'

Nothing showed on the searched for AGPM so I think its not loading. I already repaired permissions and booted ignoring caches..

PS: I'm using Lion now. In SL I think that by doing the steps above everything went well.
If you're already on MacPro3,1 on Lion, there shouldn't be a reason to edit AGPM at all. I'm only doing so since I'm using Sandy Bridge hardware and like the idea that iMac12,1 matches the hardware specs more closely ;)

We should all rejoice now that our Fermi cards work with stability under OSX.

scorcho said:
Currently on the Lion GM and can report the following with regards to support for the GTX460 -

[*]Uses drivers 7.2.9 270.05.05f01
[*]Latest CUDA drivers install, but the preference pane states that an update is required
[*]Finder performance stutters a bit, though that can be fixed by editing AGPM
[*]Most importantly, zero crashes with general use

Granted, my test load is only a day old, but I also didn't see any KPs with DP4. Dual DVI works natively on my card with the latest Chameleon and GraphicsEnabler=Y in the boot.plist.

With edited AGPM and slightly overclocked BIOS, I'm getting 45.37fps in Cinebench.

With original AGPM and slightly overclocked BIOS, I'm getting 24.29fps.

hi scorcho, i got a question i have a GTX 460 SC 1024MB with Lion GM installed, but the finder is not performing well, it still has that laggy crap, i changed in the AGPM the "vendor id" on my video card Device 0e22, there was an increase of 25 FPS on the cinebench, but the finder's low performance it's still happening. what else should i do?

Model ID: MacPro4,1
Motherboard: DX58so
CPU: Core i7 920
Video Card: GTX 460 SC 1024MB
Memory: 6gb 1600 ddr3

Turbo - Disable , 3.4 GHz without overclocking , very fast lion :lol: :headbang:

7980.png

Hi all,

I have a GTX470 and a ga-ep45t-usb3p. Sadly in both 10.6.8 and 10.7 I'm still experiencing less than great performance. AGPM is not loaded. For some reason whenever I set MacPro5,1 or 4,1 I can't boot! I've tried various things to work around this and nothing seems to work. Will loading it help? If so, how can I get around this problem with it not booting when I change my profile?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back