Contribute
Register

Editing AGPM to prevent GTX4XX Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not have freezes, but lags. Is it similar? :confused:

-----

I just have noticed that smokeParticles is more effective when there's no Finder window around... How the hell is that possible?

With 7 Windows (2xFirefox, Mail, 3xFinder, Terminal) on the same view, smokePartiles drops to 30fps !!!

Without any Window around, I get 71fps...

EDIT: Ok, that's due to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. I've deleted this kext and booted no cache, there's no more lags ;) but we need a proper fix for it.

EDIT2: Deleting the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext do not solve the QE lags when idle.

Currently on the Lion GM and can report the following with regards to support for the GTX460 -

[*]Uses drivers 7.2.9 270.05.05f01
[*]Latest CUDA drivers install, but the preference pane states that an update is required
[*]Finder performance stutters a bit, though that can be fixed by editing AGPM
[*]Most importantly, zero crashes with general use

Granted, my test load is only a day old, but I also didn't see any KPs with DP4. Dual DVI works natively on my card with the latest Chameleon and GraphicsEnabler=Y in the boot.plist.

With edited AGPM and slightly overclocked BIOS, I'm getting 45.37fps in Cinebench.

With original AGPM and slightly overclocked BIOS, I'm getting 24.29fps.

thanks for info, test today

Scorcho, do you think that your tutorial will work with a GTS 450 ? ID : 0x0dc4

For the moment, the only solution that I have is... Run VLC. Any other solutions ? My PC still freeze. Will this be fixed in lion ? (Available this month ?)

Thireus said:
I do not have freezes, but lags. Is it similar? :confused:

-----

I just have noticed that smokeParticles is more effective when there's no Finder window around... How the hell is that possible?

With 7 Windows (2xFirefox, Mail, 3xFinder, Terminal) on the same view, smokePartiles drops to 30fps !!!

Without any Window around, I get 71fps...

EDIT: Ok, that's due to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. I've deleted this kext and booted no cache, there's no more lags ;) but we need a proper fix for it.

EDIT2: Deleting the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext do not solve the QE lags when idle.

Are you deleting AGPM but keeping your system definitions on either 4,1 or 5,1??

maxence5211 said:
Scorcho, do you think that your tutorial will work with a GTS 450 ? ID : 0x0dc4

For the moment, the only solution that I have is... Run VLC. Any other solutions ? My PC still freeze. Will this be fixed in lion ? (Available this month ?)
Are you positive that AGPM is activated in your system? Make sure your console shows the states switching (refer to the first post).

I discovered a better solution to having VLC running - install the latest CUDA drivers (4.0.19 - http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cud ... river.html), then run the file I'm attaching here. It's a CUDA test app that someone wrote on InsanelyMac. I edited the file to not show an icon in the dock. As such, run it, move the slider so that you're generating at least 200 triangles, then you can minimize it or move the window to a different space. You literally set it and forget it :)

Very resource efficient, and much better than running an iTunes visualization or VLC movie the entire time. Also, keep in mind that these problems should be completely gone with Lion. The only reason we'll need to edit AGPM is for performance reasons, not stability. Cheers!

Attachments

• CUDATest.zip
    19.7 KB · Views: 120
Thanks a lot. If it's working in lion, I'll use your CUDA test app while lion isn't out :)
If I do [Apple + H] your app will completely be hide. It's perfect :D

I don't know if it is the new Nvidia drivers or 10.6.8 update but I haven't have a single crash or freeze since installing them last weekend. And I'm using just the AGPM edits, no VLC or something else running in background.

Zack said:
Are you deleting AGPM but keeping your system definitions on either 4,1 or 5,1??

Code:
  Nom du modèle :	iMac
  Identifiant du modèle :	iMac8,1

scorcho said:
Currently on the Lion GM and can report the following with regards to support for the GTX460 -

[*]Uses drivers 7.2.9 270.05.05f01
[*]Latest CUDA drivers install, but the preference pane states that an update is required
[*]Finder performance stutters a bit, though that can be fixed by editing AGPM
[*]Most importantly, zero crashes with general use

Granted, my test load is only a day old, but I also didn't see any KPs with DP4. Dual DVI works natively on my card with the latest Chameleon and GraphicsEnabler=Y in the boot.plist.

With edited AGPM and slightly overclocked BIOS, I'm getting 45.37fps in Cinebench.

With original AGPM and slightly overclocked BIOS, I'm getting 24.29fps.

Hi scorcho,

I'm currently on Lion GM too. Did you installed any new driver from Nvidia website? Since my first Lion boot I got my card recognized and everything works nice.
I'm asking this because I want to install CUDA and I'm not sure if I need to install any other quadro4000 driver.

I got 32bit boot and GraphicsEnabler=Y in boot.plist.

Could you post your AGPM.kext or another based on my original so I can test Cinebench scores as well? (My original AGPM is attached)

I'm also running with MacPro3,1 system. Do I need to change it to 4,1 to enable AGPM?

Attachments

• AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip
    66.8 KB · Views: 94
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back