Contribute
Register

Easy Way to make a Bootable Clone of your macOS System Drive

What process have you been using?

Really dumb question here, but here goes:
For creation of a bootable clone of my internal boot drive (running Mojave), including its EFI component,
am I wanting Acronis True Image 2019 or 2020? I am not sure why, but this thread appears to state that 2019 can do the job easily but for some reason it becomes complicated again for the 2020 version?

UPDATE: How to make a bootable backup of your system drive with Acronis 2020

I wanting Acronis True Image 2019 or 2020? I am not sure why, but this thread appears to state that 2019 can do the job easily but for some reason it becomes complicated again for the 2020 version?
Either one will work. It's best to make the Windows rescue USB verison for cloning your macOS system drive. You simply boot from the USB on your hackintosh (the Mac version won't boot) run Acronis and use it's cloning feature. That's all. Has always worked for me using that approach.

I'm not sure why some people have problems with Acronis 2020. I've only heard of problems with it when they install the macOS version to their system drive and run it from there. I suggest the approach of booting from the Windows based USB because our Hacks are not "real" Macs that use Apple hardware and Apple EFI. They are really PCs that happen to be running macOS instead of Windows.

Last edited:
Either one will work. It's best to make the Windows rescue USB verison for cloning your macOS system drive. You simply boot from the USB on your hackintosh (the Mac version won't boot) run Acronis and use it's cloning feature.

Ah, thanks! Of course, the youtube vid presumes a "real" Mac is being used.... right, so obviously the software has a facility to create a bootable USB of the application which will do the job - I'll see if I can hunt down a bargain (I'm in Oz, but will likely find a US retailer, I imagine...)

@trs96 one more question - Acronis have separate products for PC and Mac. So... do I... buy the mac or PC version? I'm guessing PC...

@trs96 one more question - Acronis have separate products for PC and Mac. So... do I... buy the mac or PC version? I'm guessing PC...
You buy an Acronis license. You then create an account. You want to get the PC version iso and then create the USB from that. If you do actually want to install it on one of your Windows PCs then get the .exe file. Like this:

Screen Shot 16.jpg

After you get that installed to a PC you can create a rescue USB or do it like in this video:

does this procedure (cloning via Acronis) work for a hackintosh running catalina and APFS??

does this procedure (cloning via Acronis) work for a hackintosh running catalina and APFS??
Yes, APFS and Catalina are supported.

Hmm, for some reason it's not working for me. I'm trying to clone a working Sierra installation from a 160gb hdd to a 250gb ssd. I'm using the 64-bit Win10PE SE that has ATI 2017. Using the automatic method straight forward and the process goes suspiciously fast (it definitely does not copy the main partition) and it says operation succeeded but it's not bootable and in Sierra (on hdd) the main partition doesn't have a name and has some kind of Windows reserved partition on it as well.

Any idea what in the world is up?

(I did a successful clone with Clonezilla earlier, but then realized it can't scale it up to a larger drive so that's why i'm trying to find an alternative solution. Would need to find a new solution anyway since i'm moving to apfs now. )

in Sierra (on hdd) the main partition doesn't have a name and has some kind of Windows reserved partition on it as well.

Any idea what in the world is up?
Not really, I don't know anything about how you installed Sierra originally. Was Sierra installed, for legacy or UEFI booting ? Was it booting up and running properly ? There really shouldn't be any Windows partitions left on the Sierra drive and if the primary partition doesn't have any name something was not done right.

Back