Contribute
Register

[Easy Guide] ML: HDMI Audio/HD4000/7 Series MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phew,

Ok, after much struggling i have finally gotten it working. I was thinking too hard about generating my DSDT file i think... It's all Native and i was looking for a patch that didnt exist...

Anyways... I am running HD4000 on a GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, Going straight from the MB HDMI cable to my Samsung TV HDMI port.

I thought that selecting different audio outs under System Prefs/Sound would allow me to control which output the audio is routed to, but all it does is turn off the audio from my HDMI (samsung) out. Then when i reselect my HDMI (samsung) it re enables the HDMI audio again.

It seems that since i have gotten HDMI working the use of my rear (green) audio out jack has been lost. Is this normal? Is there anything i can do to get it back? I would also like my front panel audio working as well...

If anyone knows... Thank you :)

Phew,

Ok, after much struggling i have finally gotten it working. I was thinking too hard about generating my DSDT file i think... It's all Native and i was looking for a patch that didnt exist...

Anyways... I am running HD4000 on a GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, Going straight from the MB HDMI cable to my Samsung TV HDMI port.

I thought that selecting different audio outs under System Prefs/Sound would allow me to control which output the audio is routed to, but all it does is turn off the audio from my HDMI (samsung) out. Then when i reselect my HDMI (samsung) it re enables the HDMI audio again.

It seems that since i have gotten HDMI working the use of my rear (green) audio out jack has been lost. Is this normal? Is there anything i can do to get it back? I would also like my front panel audio working as well...

If anyone knows... Thank you :)

Spookynick - How did you get this to work? I am lost on how to use this guide. Thanks for the help.

Spookynick - How did you get this to work? I am lost on how to use this guide. Thanks for the help.

As far as i know any of these instructions are only learned through my experience with a GA-Z77X-UP5-TH Motherboard which uses a NATIVE DSDT, all of my hardware is working OOB.

Using Multibeast i followed the settings in the post by DBP
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-photography-beast.html

Sorry I'm not at my build right now, but i can try to remember the proper steps and names of programs...
Also i am still n00b, because this mac is for my wife, i am a windows user ;)

if you don't have a DSDT.aml in /Extra, then you need to make one, and you do this by extracting the DSDT that your system is using right now
(all mac systems use a DSDT, it just isn't in /Extra).

Follow the steps here http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/31716-guide-creating-your-own-dsdt-most-boards.html
(basically sign up on the website and download the dsdt editor, and ignore everything at this point about a PATCH for your motherboard. you don't need it right now)

Open, extract, compile
(i believe i have 2 ERRORS, i clicked FIX and then had 1 error. To fix the error i had to change the string of HEX text from ABCDEFGH to ABCDEFAB - Because G and H are not HEX... easy fix),

EDIT Per toleda:

Regarding your dsdt, "2. Changing ABCDEFGH to ABCDEFAB - this was key!" is wrong. Replace ABCDEFAB with PNP0C15. ami_clean_compile.txt fixes that error however, the patch can only be used once in a dsdt.

and then click compile again, save that compiled output to /Desktop/DSDT.aml

Now you have a dsdt on your desktop.

Download the attachment from the OP (HD4000-3_7_series_hdmi_audio_dsdt_editing_kit.zip), then extract and save on your desktop.

I'malso going to assume you have IORegistryExplorer and MaciASL...

Download and save your IOReg
(i had a problem with v3 (from Apple) only saving corrupt files, it tripped me up a bit, so i had to get the file that was attached from the OP of that thread.... not the one from apple.... wasted about awhile trying to figure out what the heck was going on with that...)

This is the link to the working IOReg program
(http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...py-ioreg-ioregistryexplorer-slrid_v10.6.3.zip)

ok...
Its still early and i only have 1 coffee in me so this post might not be laid out in the best way ;)

So now you have you DSDT, you have your IOReg, and you have the HDMI Editing kit all extracted on your desktop
(or wherever you like to extract such things)

So, now you load up MaciASL and follow the steps from the OP from
II. dsdt edits - clean up

Load up ami_clean_compile.txt (from the HDMI kit) and compile it...
now, load your DSDT.aml from your /Desktop... then click on patch... then click on open...
select and open hdmi_audio_ami_efi_hd4000-3.txt... then click apply... then click close... then click compile. Hopefully now you have no errors.

Now go to Save as, and save the compiled and patched DSDT.aml (remember to give it this file extension when you save it) to your /Desktop for safe keeping.

Now go to Save as, and save it to /Extra/DSDT.aml...

Now DSDT is installed, but you need to remove
(i copied it to my desktop for backup and then deleted the one in /System/Library/Extensions)

the audio kext files, the only one i had was HDAEnabler1.kext
(or something close to that),
i had AppleHDA.kext but was unclear if i had to delete that, so i didn't, i just left it.

So now you have your DSDT installed and you have your audio kexts removed...
Now all you should have to do is fix your permissions and cache using something like Google: kext wizard
(i think you get a kernel panic on reboot if you don't fix your permissions and cache)

Reboot

OK, now it should work.
I thought it hadn't worked because i didn't hear that (now) patented mac start up sound, but i went to play a movie through VLC (just to make sure it didn't work) and low and behold, at 1:00 in the morning my TV blared to life and i left a little stain on my underwear...

I will hit up my build later and i will upload and attach my DSDT.aml and my IOReg maybe that will help

This is only for the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH Motherboard with all OOB working hardware

Hopefully this all makes sense to you, sorry for the long post
Also sorry if it doesn't work
I make no guarantees
Use at your own risk
no refunds

:)

DSDT.aml and IOReg Attachments

View attachment GA-Z77X-UP5-TH-HDMI-PATCH-DSDT.zip
View attachment Z77XUP5Build.zip

Got it working - thanks a ton spookynick! Really appreciate you taking the time to do that thorough post. And of course thanks to Toleda for the great patch files and instructions. I'm a relative n00b also, especially in working with DSDTs since my system worked natively. I was also getting very confused not having an initial DSDT file to work with.

The only thing I did in a different order than you was to open my DSDT file, then patch with ami_clean_compile.txt, then patch with hdmi_audio_ami_efi_hd4000-3.txt (instead of loading ami_clean_compile.txt first).

The keys for me that made it work this time (that I missed with I tried it the first time before following your instructions and got a KP at boot) were:
1. Creating the initial DSDT using the DSDT Editor
2. Changing ABCDEFGH to ABCDEFAB - this was key!
3. Using kext wizard to repair permissions and cache (I had used disk utility before to repair permissions, but never saw an option to do anything with cache - maybe this was causing the KP).

Hope this helps others.

Thanks again!! Awesome to hear the audio working!

It looks like the other sound output options have disappeared since getting HDMI audio out to work (IOreg, DSDT, and screenshot attached). I tried loading the ALC887 audio drivers with DSDT from multibeast after getting HDMI audio to work, but it took away HDMI audio, so I reverted back. Any ideas?

If I have to choose one, I still want HDMI audio - but it would be nice to use my front panel jack for headphones as well.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• z77-ds3h build.zip
    433.2 KB · Views: 156
It looks like the other sound output options have disappeared since getting HDMI audio out to work (IOreg, DSDT, and screenshot attached). I tried loading the ALC887 audio drivers with DSDT from multibeast after getting HDMI audio to work, but it took away HDMI audio, so I reverted back. Any ideas?
Regarding your dsdt, "2. Changing ABCDEFGH to ABCDEFAB - this was key!" is wrong. Replace ABCDEFAB with PNP0C15. ami_clean_compile.txt fixes that error however, the patch can only be used once in a dsdt.

The problem with 887 onboard audio is the wrong AppleHDA.kext is installed. Try MultiBeast 5.2.1 or newer - Select/Drivers & Bootloaders/Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/With DSDT/ALC887 Current.

Hi, Thanks for the guide !
I still get these 24 errors when I compile.I didn't edit the hdmi_audio_ami_efi_hd4000-3.txt patch file.Can you help me?

Hi, Thanks for the guide !
I still get these 24 errors when I compile.I didn't edit the hdmi_audio_ami_efi_hd4000-3.txt patch file.Can you help me?
No need to quote the first post, I know what it says.
With the info provided, no help is available.
See Post #1, Troubleshooting, 4. Problem Reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back