Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
After upgrading from Mac OS 13 to 14, the Apple DVD Player doesn't work properly. Is this a generic Mac OS problem or is it hack related? I have an RX570 GPU. VLC is ok. Sometimes DVD Player plays discs ok, other times I get just audio and a green screen. I suspect it is a sw issue with DVD Player in the initial Sonoma release.

I get just audio and a green screen. I suspect it is a sw issue with DVD Player in the initial Sonoma release.
Apple did remove all CD/DVD hardware from Macs over ten years ago. The 2012 MBP was still produced a few years after that then cancelled. So it's not surprising that it doesn't work properly in Sonoma. They have no reason to keep supporting it for Intel based Macs that are not Sonoma capable. Try using VLC player for Mac. That should work.

Last edited:
Apple did remove all CD/DVD hardware from Macs over ten years ago. The 2012 MBP was still produced a few years after that then cancelled. So it's not surprising that it doesn't work properly in Sonoma. They have no reason to keep supporting it for Intel based Macs that are not Sonoma capable. Try using VLC player for Mac. That should work.
yes I guess you are right. I'm surprised they just don't remove it completely. VLC is better overall anyway IMO except that it never remembers where you left off last time, there is a setting to enable that but it doesn't work, never has.

Back