Contribute
Register

Dual Xeon X5650 on a S5520SC Mobo - Will it run smooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming M
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys,
I'm from Brazil and I'm new here and at Hackintoshes.
It's been 10 years I only use Macs and right now I need an upgrade and I got a really good offer of this machine and I would like to know your thoughts before I take any step.
It's a Workstation Dual Xeon with X5650 CPUs and S5520SC Motherboard.
I intend to buy a 4gb video card and add 16gb RAM.

Would you guys think?

Hello, Braindriller.

I think I have a similar build that you've been offered. It took me sometime to get everything working, but now it is working flawlessly.

I have a 2015 Macbook Air and doing a comparison, my Air is a "Fusca" and my Hack is an Aston Martin v8.

I running High Sierra (had some problems with Catalina using my RX 570) and my build is:

Mobo: S5520SC
CPU: Dual X5670
RAM: Kingston DDR3 4GB x4
GPU: Gigabyte RX 570 4GB
SSD: WD Green 480GB

Just a advice for this motherboard, if you don't have silent fans for your CPU coolers, it's gonna get noisy...

Last edited:
I'm using two monitors, but only one was working with Catalina and the one that was working, was flickering and tearing pretty bad. Also, the screen brightness would randomly decrease to almost black, and the OS would eventually freeze.

I tried with a GTX 670 that I have from another build, and it was working well with one monitor, but I couldn't manage to get the second monitor to work. So I switched back to the RX 570 and installed High Sierra.

The main reason I'm using macOS is for GarageBand, but I also do web development. GarageBand works flawlessly and since I don't need the latest Xcode to use my stack, I settled for High Sierra.

That's interesting to know about because I plan to use two monitors as well.
Next month I'm going to get one of those refurb workstations and than make my mods.
Thanks for your input man, it was really helpful.

Hi Jeffloire .
Is it too much to ask you to share you EFI folder ?
I have the same board an want to try it out...
Thanks

Hi yaalla4123.

I don't have that computer anymore.
I found a backup of the EFI folder, but I'm not sure this is the right one.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.6 MB · Views: 83
Thanks again.
I will try it later. I know there should be a way to install Catalina on that board....
Good Health - everybody

Hi everyone with s5520sc -
just to share my EFI running Catalina.
hope it hels .
good health!

Attachments

• Efi Folder s5520sc Catalina.zip
    23.3 MB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back