Graphics
660 ti 3gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello! I am currently looking to be able to Dual-boot my computer between Mt.Lion and Windows 8. I am on Mt.Lion 10.8.5 and everything is good.

I have a separate HDD that i want to use to run Windows on. I do not want to run 2 different OS's on the same partition.

Motherboard- Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
4 Hardrives, all HDD. I just want 1 for Windows 8 and its 500GB. The rest are for Mt.lion stuff.

I honestly have no idea where to start on doing this dual boot. I have windows on a flash drive and on a DVD.

If someone could please help getting this dual-boot working properly, that would be AMAZING!!

Thank you
- Jesse

Hello! I am currently looking to be able to Dual-boot my computer between Mt.Lion and Windows 8. I am on Mt.Lion 10.8.5 and everything is good.

I have a separate HDD that i want to use to run Windows on. I do not want to run 2 different OS's on the same partition.

Motherboard- Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
4 Hardrives, all HDD. I just want 1 for Windows 8 and its 500GB. The rest are for Mt.lion stuff.

I honestly have no idea where to start on doing this dual boot. I have windows on a flash drive and on a DVD.

If someone could please help getting this dual-boot working properly, that would be AMAZING!!

Thank you
- Jesse

Is easy with separate HDD - just disconnect all drives except drive for Win8. Boot and insert Win8 DVD in ODD tray, hit F12 to select boot device and select the non EFI version of the Win8 install DVD

Let it format and install as you normally would with Windows. Update from MSUpdate site, add an AV and turn on the firewall.

When running to your satisfaction, shutdown, connect the other drives, boot to BIOS and set the OS X drive as first in HDD boot order.

Enjoy.

Thank you very much for the reply! I Just kind of sent it last night though:(. I didn't see anything that said boot with non efi. All I did was just click the one that didnt have the uefi in front of it and installed. So now I cant go to the chimera thing and it boots to windows first. I have tried putting the Mtn.Lion drive as first boot but it still boot windows. Is there a way around this without having to re install the OS?? Also Mtn.Lion runs fine, I just have to press f12 and choose the hard disk that boots it. I would like to use chimera or whatever so I can chose when it comes up.

Thanks
-Jesse

Thank you very much for the reply! I Just kind of sent it last night though:(. I didn't see anything that said that said boot with non efi. All I did was just click the one that didnt have the uefi in front on it and installed.
Clicking selection without EFI in front of it is booting with non EFI.

So now I cant go to the chimera thing and it boots to windows first. I have tried putting the Mtn.Lion drive as first boot but it still boot windows. Is there a way around this without having to re install the OS?? Also Mtn.Lion runs fine, I just have to press f12 and choose the hard disk that boots it. I would like to use chimera or whatever so I can chose when it comes up.

Thanks
-Jesse
You have to go into the BIOS and reset the HDD boot order so that the OS X drive is first. If it boots to Windows unless you hit F12 and select OS X drive, HDD boot order is not set properly.

I tried many different things for the boot options. Here are some pictures of what the bios looks like and my boot options. WD2500ks is my Mtn.Lion drive. it is underneath the drive P1: HD725050KL. that is what the Windows OS is on. I save these settings and it boots up windows. When I restart to see what was wrong in the boot options, The windows drive is selected for boot #1. I have no idea whats going on...

I hope this makes sense...

-Jesse

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 166
I tried many different things for the boot options. Here are some pictures of what the bios looks like and my boot options. WD2500ks is my Mtn.Lion drive. it is underneath the drive P1: HD725050KL. that is what the Windows OS is on. I save these settings and it boots up windows. When I restart to see what was wrong in the boot options, The windows drive is selected for boot #1. I have no idea whats going on...

I hope this makes sense...

-Jesse

You are setting the wrong options.
For instance - the PCI ROM is for setting the gfx card to use the Legacy or UEFI ROM on the card - only useful if you have a GPU that supports EUFI.

Your boot option lists a Lite0n ODD, a 500GB Hitachi deskstar, a 3Tb seagate and a WD blue drive. The boot option not for setting the HDD boot order.
You need to set your HDD/SSD boot order in the Hard Drive BBS Priorities list.

I set my boot priority's as seen in the image BIOS 6 (sorry for sideways picture :|) The WD2500KS (Mtn.Lion drive) is first in the boot priority list. At least that's what I see. Then comes the Windows drive. I click the "save and exit" icon and then the boot override options come up. I have clicked the WD2500KS To override the drives and Mtn.Lion comes up fine. I have also just clicked "save and exit" but when I restart without going into the BIOS, windows comes up. So I go back into my BIOS and see whats up.

Wouldn't ya know, my boot priority's have changed back again after I have saved them in the order I want them in. All the drives have UEFI above them I believe.

Sorry if I am being difficult, I'm still trying to learn

Attachments

• BIOS 5.jpg
    BIOS 5.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 142
  • BIOS 6.jpg
    BIOS 6.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 141
Hey, my friend don't be frustrated, the first time I try to set up bios also encounter some problems.
As your case, I am not certain what to do, however if I remember correctly for myself (also DUO BOOT win7 and Mavericks), when I install the 2 systems, I did the steps like this:

1 Use installer (Unibeast) install OS X. Now my mackintosh only have 2 drives: 1 USB, 1 SSD for OS X.
2 After installation I boot up from OS X, use Multibeast to install all the driver. At this moment I didn't
connect any drives.
3 Disconnect OS X SSD and USB, connect win7 SSD and win7 install USB, then install. So at this stage I
only have 1 system in my Hackintosh. (Which is win7)
4 Disconnect win7 installer , connect OS X SSD (without disconnect win7 SSD), connect OS X installer, then boot into OS X installer(USB) then select OSX SSD, then open Multibeast and select Boot Loader and install it.

Here is the vid I followed on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDBD7i3bG9M

For your boot order settings in BIOS, what I did for mine was every time I install something, I only open that SATA port, other SATA port I closed them all, just in case it boot from the wrong disk. And somehow it worked for me. This is all I can recall. Hope this can help you, this forum is very friendly, when I 1st build up my Hackintosh, I asked a lot of questions, just like you did, I think more than you. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back