Contribute
Register

Dual Booting W8 and OS X with UEFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im fallowing the title :(, i cannot install with UEFI dissabled, the error is "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

That could mean:
- you're not choosing custom install, selecting an existing partition (created with OS X Disk Utility, MS-DOS format), and formatting it as NTFS before proceeding.
- or, your hybrid MBR is not setup anymore (damaged due to editing in Linux... forgot to run gptsync??)

Bottom line: If you have a properly setup hybrid MBR/GPT partition table(s), and you're booting the Windows installer in legacy mode, and you're choosing custom install, Windows will see the disk as MBR not GPT.

To install Windows in UEFI mode properly, extract all files from Windows Installation ISO to a FAT32 flashdrive, turn on the Computer and choose "Boot From EFI File", point to EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi on flashdrive and you can install Windows normally.

After completing Windows installation, you can only boot to Windows instead of Clover, here is the solution:
- Choose "Boot From EFI File", point to EFI\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi to start Clover.
- Boot to Mountain Lion.
- Use terminal to mount EFI Partition:
Code:
mkdir /Volumes/efi
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
- go to EFI\EFI\Microsoft\Boot and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
- go to EFI\EFI\CLOVER\ and copy CLOVERX64.efi file to EFI\EFI\Microsoft\Boot, rename it to bootmgfw.efi

For those who used to have a FAT partition, the disk will be converted to GPT/HybridMBR and Windows UEFI can't be installed on the drive, you can use gdisk to convert GTP/HybridMBR to GPT/ProtectiveMBR and you're good to go.

To install Windows in UEFI mode properly, extract all files from Windows Installation ISO to a FAT32 flashdrive, turn on the Computer and choose "Boot From EFI File", point to EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi on flashdrive and you can install Windows normally.

After completing Windows installation, you can only boot to Windows instead of Clover, here is the solution:
- Choose "Boot From EFI File", point to EFI\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi to start Clover.
- Boot to Mountain Lion.
- Use terminal to mount EFI Partition:
Code:
mkdir /Volumes/efi
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
- go to EFI\EFI\Microsoft\Boot and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
- go to EFI\EFI\CLOVER\ and copy CLOVERX64.efi file to EFI\EFI\Microsoft\Boot, rename it to bootmgfw.efi

For those who used to have a FAT partition, the disk will be converted to GPT/HybridMBR and Windows UEFI can't be installed on the drive, you can use gdisk to convert GTP/HybridMBR to GPT/ProtectiveMBR and you're good to go.

I also have problems on dual booting on clover when i choose windows 8.1 on clover gui it would boot then black screen but when i reset windows 8.1 it would boot just fine on clover but of course I need to install drivers and windows update that is the problem persists .can someone help me?FYI, all os including linux are on separate drives

I also have problems on dual booting on clover when i choose windows 8.1 on clover gui it would boot then black screen but when i reset windows 8.1 it would boot just fine on clover but of course I need to install drivers and windows update that is the problem persists .can someone help me?FYI, all os including linux are on separate drives

Make sure you install all appropriate drivers for Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back