Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI H97 Gaming 3
CPU
Intel i5-4460
Graphics
MSI R9 380 Gaming 4GB
Hello guys.
Recently I started university and the teacher told us that it's recommended that we buy Mac PCs since we will be using Mac for the next 4 years (all computers in school are Macs). Since I can't afford Mac, I decided to try Hackintosh. Now I've done some research but I would like some conformation before I proceed with setting up my machine.

First I want to ask if it's possible to run Hackintosh on those components:
CPU: Intel i5-4460
MB: MSI H97 Gaming 3
GPU: MSI R9 380 Gaming 4GB

So far from what I've got there is no problem with CPU and Motherboard, but the GPU needs a little tweaking every time I run the OS, which is fine since I won't be needing the GPU anyway, but the iGPU of the CPU. I'm planing on working on the Mac OS, not gaming.

My second question is, since I already have Windows 10 installed and setup-ed, can I install Mac OS without losing my data, since all dual-boot guides so far I read were requiring installing Mac OS first.

And third and last question is if I can download Mac OS and setup bootable USB flash drive without Mac PC, since the only Mac PCs I can think of are in my university and I don't think I will be able to do that there.

Thanks in advance!

Hello guys.
Recently I started university and the teacher told us that it's recommended that we buy Mac PCs since we will be using Mac for the next 4 years (all computers in school are Macs). Since I can't afford Mac, I decided to try Hackintosh. Now I've done some research but I would like some conformation before I proceed with setting up my machine.

First I want to ask if it's possible to run Hackintosh on those components:
CPU: Intel i5-4460
MB: MSI H97 Gaming 3
GPU: MSI R9 380 Gaming 4GB

So far from what I've got there is no problem with CPU and Motherboard, but the GPU needs a little tweaking every time I run the OS, which is fine since I won't be needing the GPU anyway, but the iGPU of the CPU. I'm planing on working on the Mac OS, not gaming.

My second question is, since I already have Windows 10 installed and setup-ed, can I install Mac OS without losing my data, since all dual-boot guides so far I read were requiring installing Mac OS first.

And third and last question is if I can download Mac OS and setup bootable USB flash drive without Mac PC, since the only Mac PCs I can think of are in my university and I don't think I will be able to do that there.

Thanks in advance!

That motherboard was on the March 2016 Buyer's Guide, so it should work. You may have to do a little tweaking to get the R9 380 GPU to work (see http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/).

The "reference" dual-boot guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-and-windows-8.96000/) says:
Installing on separate drives. (Recommended method)

When installing on separate drives, installation order does not matter. Start with either one.

To answer your last question, no - the only way to download Mac OS X is through the App Store, which can only be accessed by a computer running Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later. And UniBeast (the tool you use to create the installer USB) only runs on Mac OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back