Contribute
Register

Dual booting El Capitan and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can hide any unwanted boot entries from Clover Boot Menu to tidy things up. There are several ways to do this and my way might be a bit long winded but i'll post it anyway;

• Boot into the Clover boot menu but Do Not launch an OS
  • Arrow select the first drive boot entry from the Clover boot menu
  • Press the Space Bar on that drive and make a paper note of the UUID
Tip: because UUID strings are quite long, I made a note of the second part of the string e.g, -8E25- and labelled it accordingly e.g, 8E25 El Cap

• Repeat those steps for ALL boot entries in the Clover boot menu
  • When done, boot into OSX
  • Launch Clover Configurator and mount your OSX EFI partition
  • Go to Boot.log and select Generate log
  • Save boot log text file to your desktop as we'll use that shortly to copy and paste those long UUID strings.
Go to Gui > Custom Enteries and click the + sign, this will generate a New Custom Entry icon

• Double click New Custom Entry icon and fill out the following info;
  • Volume: paste your UUID string here
  • Title / Full name: name it accordingly e.g, El Capitan , Windows 7, OSX Recovery, etc,
  • Hidden: write No
  • Type: select OS type e.g, OSX, Windows or OSXRecovery,
  • VolumeType: select Internal
Repeat for all boot drive entries in the Clover boot menu then save to update your config.plist

Tip: if you want to hide the OSX Recovery from the Clover Boot Menu but reveal it at will with a hot key e.g F3 then do the following ;

• Hidden: Yes
  • Hot Key: F3
You can also move those icons around to list the drives in the order you wanted them.

Reboot into the Clover boot menu it try it out.

I tried just now to hide the two unwanted Windows boot entries with no luck. I did just like you described above but for starters there is no UUID with the two unwanted boot entries. There is just "Boot Windows". Well I still marked down the working boot entry for Windows 7, OSX, OSX Recovery. Did all as described in Clover Configurator, saved and rebooted but nothing changed. All are still there. When I went back to Clover Configurator to check what went wrong I realised the settings I made weren't there as if I didn't save the settings but I did. So I did anything again and same thing. What should I do?

save a copy of your config.plist but without your serial number and without any MLB boot rom values (that's for your eyes only) and post the copy here

I will have a look at it when i have the chance (can't view it now cause i'm away for a while)

Update: crorrected Hidden - No = Show , Yes = Hidden

I forgot to inform that I fixed the Clover boot problem. The problem was me :D I messed up with the config.plist files.

But sadly now I have a new problem with Windows. After updating every important update the Windows won't boot. It says like this:

File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I've searched a fix for this problem but they are all for BIOS installs and I'm don't sure could they be used for this.

I forgot to inform that I fixed the Clover boot problem. The problem was me :D I messed up with the config.plist files.

But sadly now I have a new problem with Windows. After updating every important update the Windows won't boot. It says like this:

File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I've searched a fix for this problem but they are all for BIOS installs and I'm don't sure could they be used for this.

Did you disconnect all other drives, especially those formatted in OS X disk utility that cintain an EFI partition? You need to be very careful with the Windows UEFI install updater as it gets confused if you have multiple drives with an EFI partition. Look at the EFI partition of every other drive that has one and delete the files Windows installed on one of them.
Try disconnecting all other drives and boot the Winsows installation DVD, select the repair option and try to repair the boot files on the Windows drive EFI partition.
Then reconnect your other drives and reset the UEFI drive BBS boot order.

The easiest way to prevent a reoccurence of this is to make sure the Windows drive is in the lowest numbered SATA slot so the PCH sees it first.

When I installed Windows I disconnected every other drive. Only the drive connected which is going to be the Windows drive. When install completed I connected the OS X drive and made the boot order so that OS X is first and Windows second. I found out that both systems boot nicely from Clover. Then I again disconnected every other drive only the Windows drive connected. In Windows I updated every important update. After that I tried few times it boots and it did. Then I again connected the OS X drive and made the boot order configuration. Now the OS X boots but the Windows doesn't.

I already tried to fix it that I disconnected OS X drive and used the Windows boot stick to repair the boot files but it couldn't. I'm guessing now that the only option is to install Windows again and not to update.

And yes Windows is connected to the lowest numbered SATA slot. OS X is on M.2. slot.

When I installed Windows I disconnected every other drive. Only the drive connected which is going to be the Windows drive. When install completed I connected the OS X drive and made the boot order so that OS X is first and Windows second. I found out that both systems boot nicely from Clover. Then I again disconnected every other drive only the Windows drive connected. In Windows I updated every important update. After that I tried few times it boots and it did. Then I again connected the OS X drive and made the boot order configuration. Now the OS X boots but the Windows doesn't.

I already tried to fix it that I disconnected OS X drive and used the Windows boot stick to repair the boot files but it couldn't. I'm guessing now that the only option is to install Windows again and not to update.

And yes Windows is connected to the lowest numbered SATA slot. OS X is on M.2. slot.
Double-check your UEFI settings - updates have been known to change them to better suit Windows.

Hello again. I've been using El Capitan and Windows 7 side by side to this point. Few days ago I wanted to play games with Steam in Win7. Well Steam didn't want to work if Windows wasn't up to date. I was forced to update Windows and now Steam works great but unfortunately the original booting problem came back. Win7 won't boot from Clover. When I start Win7 from Clover it gets to Windows starting screen and from that screen goes black and nothing happens. If I disconnect the El Cap drive and start machine Windows makes its fix and starts normally. Help is needed to figure out this problem. Thanks!

Hello again. I've been using El Capitan and Windows 7 side by side to this point. Few days ago I wanted to play games with Steam in Win7. Well Steam didn't want to work if Windows wasn't up to date. I was forced to update Windows and now Steam works great but unfortunately the original booting problem came back. Win7 won't boot from Clover. When I start Win7 from Clover it gets to Windows starting screen and from that screen goes black and nothing happens. If I disconnect the El Cap drive and start machine Windows makes its fix and starts normally. Help is needed to figure out this problem. Thanks!

Do the same thing you did before. Windows has replaced the boot64.efi you renamed with the original Windows boot file in EFI/Windows/boot/

Do the same thing you did before. Windows has replaced the boot64.efi you renamed with the original Windows boot file in EFI/Windows/boot/

So I have to copy and rename it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back