Graphics
GTX770 OC 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, please bear with me here — this is the first time I've looked in to the Hackintosh world, so I'm very new to this.

I currently have a PC that I've been using for gaming. It has Windows 8.1 installed already. Intel Core i5 4570, Asus Z87-Expert, GTX770 OC 2GB. It has a single SSD, which currently has Windows on it.

What I want to do is install Yosemite on a partition on the SSD so I can boot in to either OSX or Windows.

Firstly, is this possible, or do I need a separate SSD for OSX?

If it is possible, is there a guide I can follow for this particular setup?

Thanks!

You want a separate drive in your circumstance.
OSX and Windows can coexist on the same drive but OSX has to be installed in the first partition. It is essentially-but not totally-- impossible and not worth the effort in your situation to change the structure of your Windows drive. It has to do with how OSX creates partitions.
If you add a new drive and use the Chimera boot-loader it must be the drive your mobo sees as the first bootable hard drive.
With only one SSD you must not require very much storage for files.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 2TB mechanical drive for storage, and just use the SSD for the OS.

If I do buy another SSD for OSX, is there any advantage to using Clover instead of Chimera? I am a little confused about that part.

I ended up cloning an image of my Windows install, wiping the SSD and installing OSX on it. I'll get another SSD in a few days to restore the Windows image to.

Very pleased with how smooth everything went. The only things not working at wifi, Thunderbolt and iMessage. I don't need the first 2, but the latter would be nice (I understand there are issues with this though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back