Contribute
Register

Dual boot on two seperate drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPerk15 said:
hey @eelhead...I will definitley be setting up my drives like you. quesiton though, isn't the point of having an SSD so you can put your applications and the OSX on there so it goes faster? Is it ok that you just have OSX on there and your games are on the 1TB drive? I was planning on trying to put ALL apps and games on the OSX SSD and media only on the TB. Thanks! You and everyone here are damn life savers!
It's my OSX and all apps. The only game I don't have on there is my WoW account because its 47GB all by it's self lol. Most other gaming is in Win 7.

Yay so it reads in Fat32 from both OSs and doesn't show up at the boot screen! I just need to figure out how to remove the windows NTFS from it and we're good to go until I get my ethernet cable!

I've two separate HD and followed instructions from above - HarryCJ and eelhead - and my boot menu shows - OSX - System Reserve - Windows NTFS. When Windows NTFS is selected, I get the error message "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Anyone has any ideas?

System Reserve is win 7 :thumbup:

AGG! It is the simple things in life - thanks!

wait i thought you could use Chameleon as a bridge between 2 hard drives that have different OS on them? or am i wrong?

Colossusbird said:
wait i thought you could use Chameleon as a bridge between 2 hard drives that have different OS on them? or am i wrong?

You can, you just need to configure your BIOS so that it is set to boot from the OS X HDD first (because it has chameleon, and it will automatically recognize the other HDD with Windows on it)

My boot.plist shows no instant menu but has timeout and string is 2. I don't have dual (or multiple) boot. At tonymac screen it boots right into hackintosh drive. When I ran MB I only installed chimera without chameleon. I believe the true dual boot would only have an apple icon and a windows icon, or it's not?

mond817 said:
My boot.plist shows no instant menu but has timeout and string is 2. I don't have dual (or multiple) boot. At tonymac screen it boots right into hackintosh drive. When I ran MB I only installed chimera without chameleon. I believe the true dual boot would only have an apple icon and a windows icon, or it's not?

the timeout makes it automatically boot into your default os after a certain amount of time (2secs in your case). if you had another os installed, youd need to press a keyboard key for the os selection to appear, otherwise itd continue booting into the default os.

chimera is chameleon, its just a modified version of it.

the 'true dual boot' you mention is just instant menu. you get the same result with timeout when you press a key.
seeing as you have no other os installed, you might as well use 'quiet boot' instead of timeout. it takes you directly to osx without seeing the chameleon stage.

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to figure out how is it possible to get a dual boot with OS X and Windows XP with the Chimera bootloader.
My Hardware is GA P55 UD3L, i5 2,8Ghz, 4GB Ram and GeForce 9500GT
I have two seperated harddisks (2x Samsung SATA 500GB), one is formattet with GUID an runs SL 10.6.8, the other one is MBR and runs Win XP Home 32bit.
BIOS mode is AHCPI, both systems working perfect by choosing them with disk priority via bios boot select.
At the OS X system I have the Chimera bootloader which works also well, both systems are shown, the Mac OSX boots up when selected, but when I choose the Windows XP the system hang on a black screen before even reach the Win-logo. I guess its a problem of the MBR?
Anyone has a solution?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back