Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Is there a way to dualboot using two separate drives? I installed easybeast and am running OSx only now. The tutorial is for both OSs to be on the same drive, how do I do it on separate dives?

I don't want to have to press any key when booting if possible to get to the boot menu, I just want to be right in the boot menu.

What do I need to prepare in order to do this? Is there a guide?

Also will I be able to share a 2TB internal between both Windows 7 and OSx? How about a 500GB external?

HOTDOGS said:
Is there a way to dualboot using two separate drives? I installed easybeast and am running OSx only now. The tutorial is for both OSs to be on the same drive, how do I do it on separate dives?

I don't want to have to press any key when booting if possible to get to the boot menu, I just want to be right in the boot menu.

What do I need to prepare in order to do this? Is there a guide?

Okay, I'm also a newbie, but this is what I've understood (similar scenario here !)
First, make sure your BIOS is in SATA mode, and HPET set to 64-bit. We need to keep these 2 values same for Windows and OS X. Next, install OS X on one of the drives (disconnect the other). Guess you've done his far. Good !

Next, unplug the OS X HDD, and install Windows/any other OS on the other HDD. Complete the process on that one, leaving the OS X HDD unplugged.

Finally, attach both drives, but make sure your boot priority is to boot from the OS X HDD first. You'll boot into chameleon bootloader, which will recognize Windows HDD right away, and simply select the 'Windows' option (or Windows NTFS, whichever is displayed) to boot into windows.

Good Luck, please post back the results

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong !

Also will I be able to share a 2TB internal between both Windows 7 and OSx? How about a 500GB external?
Dunno :)

There are two ways to do this, I will give you the Multibeast way.

Open multibeast check off System Utilities and go all the way towards the bottom at Customization and Boot options and check Instant menu.

Install and restart, now there isn't a count down and your computer will sit at the Chameleon screen until you choose what OS you want.

I am not 100% sure without googling it with being able to share one hole drive with two different OS'. You can though share the HDD between the two by partitioning it to do so. Half to Windows and half to OSX or how ever you want it.

eelhead said:

Open multibeast check off System Utilities and go all the way towards the bottom at Customization and Boot options and check Instant menu.

Install and restart, now there isn't a count down and your computer will sit at the Chameleon screen until you choose what OS you want.

I am not 100% sure without googling it with being able to share one hole drive with two different OS'. You can though share the HDD between the two by partitioning it to do so. Half to Windows and half to OSX or how ever you want it.

Thanks! It would make sense though if they were only common files right? Like files that both operating systems could use like footage and pictures, maybe music?

HOTDOGS said:
eelhead said:

Thanks! It would make sense though if they were only common files right? Like files that both operating systems could use like footage and pictures, maybe music?
Yeah if both could read the files, You could run it in a virtual environment like Parallels and be able to use at the same time.

I'd like to do the same thing when my build is finished, and have some questions that go with the original post.

I will have (similar to first post):
1. SSD boot drive OSX
2. 1TB HDD Windows 7
3. 1 TB HDD Media (shared would be great, but OSX only is OK)

My question, if using time machine, or general daily syncing of devices, how do you get your computer to know where your media is if its on a separate drive? Is there a lot of user file tinkering and folder moving?

For example I could see something happening to my drives and wanting to back up to time machine and it not working properly because all of my apps and media are divided between two drives (1ssd and 1 hdd).

Or syncing my iphone and itunes is on my SSD but the music is on the 1TB drive, does this cause issues?

btw not trying to hijack a thread I think this kind of goes with what your original post is. I think for sharing files between OSes it may have to be a virtualization because if you partition the media drive they won't work together I think.

I have Windows7 on one drive and OS X on another, both bootable. On top of that I have several internal and external drives, USB2, Firewire and eSATA for data. By running a program called MacDrive8 on the Windows machine and Tuxera on the OSX machine I can access all the data drives which are variously formatted HFS+ and NTFS from both OS-s, read and write.

OK If you check out my Build list in my sig I mention lnx2mac's blog on how to move your user folder to another HDD;
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/search/label/Partitioning

I have my OSX on a 60GB SSD, I moved my user folder to a Partitioned 1TB HDD. On this HDD I have it in three sections, Media, OSXU and Time Machine. The media is all my music, pictures and movies. The OSXU is where my user folder is set up and the programs assigned to that account, like my games.

On my other 1TB HDD is all Windows 7. I have it set up as a bootcamp via OSX and run it through Parallels when needed to use Paint Shop Pro X2 and when I want to game I log directly into my Win 7 HDD.

lnx2mac's guide is very very simple, trust me if I did it most people can as well.

I'm going to install it tonight. I will boot into OsX and format it in the Fat32 formats o I can read it from both operating systems.

hey @eelhead...I will definitley be setting up my drives like you. quesiton though, isn't the point of having an SSD so you can put your applications and the OSX on there so it goes faster? Is it ok that you just have OSX on there and your games are on the 1TB drive? I was planning on trying to put ALL apps and games on the OSX SSD and media only on the TB. Thanks! You and everyone here are damn life savers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back