Contribute
Register

DSDT & BIOS settings: is there a relation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming 2.0
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all !

I've been using EasyBeast on all my systems, but I bought a Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 recently and I would like to start using DSDT's.

So there is a DSDT.aml for my mobo in different flavors (F7, F8, F9 and F10) and my mobo is using right now the F9 version. I would like to update to F10 and then apply the DSDT, but by the way I have a doubt: after updating the BIOS to F10 should I load optimized defaults and change AHCI/SATA and 64 bit or should I choose any other setting in the BIOS ?

In other computers I have tried to use DSDT but I've never done it correctly (I believe), and I don't know if this is due to a incorrect installation or to incorrect BIOS settings.

Could someone please point me in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance !

My understanding is that the DSDT needs to match the BIOS version. In many cases a DSDT will work even with a BIOS version mismatch, but not always. It depends on what changed in the BIOS.

BIOS settings need to be set to hackintosh friendly values, but beyond that, different settings are unlikely to make a DSDT not work.

Thanks for your answer !

So can we say as a rule of thumb that it's a good practice to update BIOS to the matching DSDT, then load optimized defaults and then adjusting SATA/ACHI and HPET ?

Thanks again !

ultrazone said:
Thanks for your answer !

So can we say as a rule of thumb that it's a good practice to update BIOS to the matching DSDT, then load optimized defaults and then adjusting SATA/ACHI and HPET ?

Thanks again !

Yes you must return the BIOS sets for Mac OS again.

the DSDT is part of the Bios ( and loaded at startup) and a description table of the hardware to be found on your computer.

with our special bootloaders ( chameleon, chimera, revoboot, etc) we override the dsdt of the bios with another modified one ( describes our hardware more osx-friendly).

some bios updates are just according to newer cpus ( mostly) to be recognized.
i use the F10 DSDT from here on a F9 Bios ( cause nothing gravely has changed in my bios).
but better is to have BIOS and DSDT in sync.

Most of the latter Gigabyte DSDT versions are the same when extracted from the ROM, so in the newer versions the changes are in the actual BIOS code and not the DSDT.

Do you know, what these Code changes in Bios affect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back