Contribute
Register

DRM is broken on Big Sur 11.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way I found to fix DRM was to disable integrated graphics and change smbios to iMacPro 1,1 after doing that Apple TV and whatnot works.
You could actually just disable IGPU without changing your SM and have DRM work. You only really need to change the SM to iMacPro 1,1 if you want HEVC hardware encode/decode. I mean it has been a long while since I messed with that stuff but if I remember correctly when I was first getting started I was tinkering with no IGPU and it seemed that DRM stuff worked only when IGPU was disabled.

The only way I found to fix DRM was to disable integrated graphics and change smbios to iMacPro 1,1 after doing that Apple TV and whatnot works.

Yes, this is a workaround to fix DRM without WEG and its patches, but to be honest i do prefer not to change to iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS. I have read in several forums that if you do not have the proper CPU and GPU for iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS (i mean the same o very close CPU and GPU like in a real iMacPro) your macOS build becomes unstable.

You could actually just disable IGPU without changing your SM and have DRM work. You only really need to change the SM to iMacPro 1,1 if you want HEVC hardware encode/decode. I mean it has been a long while since I messed with that stuff but if I remember correctly when I was first getting started I was tinkering with no IGPU and it seemed that DRM stuff worked only when IGPU was disabled.

It only works if you have a Vega GPU, if you have another GPU you have 2 options
1.- Change SMBIOS to iMacPro 1,1 or MacPro 7,1
2.- Use the WEG patches (Which are not working in Big Sur till a new version of WEG is released).

It only works if you have a Vega GPU, if you have another GPU you have 2 options
1.- Change SMBIOS to iMacPro 1,1 or MacPro 7,1
2.- Use the WEG patches (Which are not working in Big Sur till a new version of WEG is released).
I do mind being wrong but I really hate when I remember something incorrectly so I did some checks. Because when I first got into Hackintosh 19,1 was not out yet so obviously Mac Pro 7,1 was not out either so I did not test either of those system Defs. However, I tested 18.1 and DRM AppleTV did not work. I also tested Mac Pro 6,1 & 5,1 both of those system Defs also worked without IGPU enabled. My guess is that any system that does not have an IGPU will have working DRM with AppleTV app.

For DRM to work successfully on your Hack depends on a few things, it is more likely to work if you have a dedicated Graphics card installed coupled with the Mac Model your machine is emulating. The popular Mac Model is iMacPro1,1 although some with the iMac 19,1 SmUUID has found a work around which does not rely on the integrated graphics of the CPU but the dedicated fitted card to get VDA Fully Supported to enable DRM.

I am using iMac Pro 1,1 as my CPU does not support integrated graphics which enables DRM. As you can see from the attached, Netflix and Apple TV+ works perfectly on my machine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 12.27.41.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 12.27.41.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 202
Hello!
Is there any way to get DRM on my System..
I got an RX 580 XFX works very well but the DRM...
I changed from MacPro 6,1 to MacPro 7,1 to get hardware accelerated for any reason on MacPro 6,1 even if I have a Xeon processor do not can get hardware accelerated on my RX 580, my graphics card works fine with or without WEG
I'm now on Big Sur 11.1 and OpenCore 0.6.4 and lates drivers and Kext.
I can't get DRM enable at all.. no, Apple TV or Netflix or Prime... Any clue??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.51.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.51.54 AM.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.48.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.48.26 AM.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.50.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.50.25 AM.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.51.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.51.07 AM.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 120
Hello!
Is there any way to get DRM on my System..
I got an RX 580 XFX works very well but the DRM...
I changed from MacPro 6,1 to MacPro 7,1 to get hardware accelerated for any reason on MacPro 6,1 even if I have a Xeon processor do not can get hardware accelerated on my RX 580, my graphics card works fine with or without WEG
I'm now on Big Sur 11.1 and OpenCore 0.6.4 and lates drivers and Kext.
I can't get DRM enable at all.. no, Apple TV or Netflix or Prime... Any clue??
As far as my knowledge goes on the subject, if your CPU has integrated graphics you will have to disable it in the BIOS and let the system rely on just your dedicated (installed) Graphics Card as well as having the Mac Model iMac Pro 1,1 but you lose 'Sidecar' function with this setup. Please note if you do make any changes to the Mac Model of your system, you need to be disconnected from the internet before making the change as you will potentially be flagged by Apple Servers.

My CPU is a cheapo i5 without integrated Graphics so DRM is not a problem. I don't know about the other Mac Pro Models as I have always used iMac Pro 1,1 as I find it suits my setup and needs according to the specs.
If I am not mistaken I am sure I read an article describing a work around to have both Integrated and Dedicated Graphics enabled and still get DRM. I will have a dig around to see if I can find it.

As far as my knowledge goes on the subject, if your CPU has integrated graphics you will have to disable it in the BIOS and let the system rely on just your dedicated (installed) Graphics Card as well as having the Mac Model iMac Pro 1,1 but you lose 'Sidecar' function with this setup. Please note if you do make any changes to the Mac Model of your system, you need to be disconnected from the internet before making the change as you will potentially be flagged by Apple Servers.

My CPU is a cheapo i5 without integrated Graphics so DRM is not a problem. I don't know about the other Mac Pro Models as I have always used iMac Pro 1,1 as I find it suits my setup and needs according to the specs.
If I am not mistaken I am sure I read an article describing a work around to have both Integrated and Dedicated Graphics enabled and still get DRM. I will have a dig around to see if I can find it.
Hi.. thanks you for your time to reply me..
Well my CPU is a Xeon this processors do not have IGPU, because its primary intention is to work on servers or a very high end systems with dedicates graphics cards.
Are you on Big Sur 11.1 now or are you on Beta release?
Do you think that if I change to my system to iMac Pro 1,1 could I get DRM working?
BTW and sorry but what it's "Sidecar"

Thanks you!!

Hi.. thanks you for your time to reply me..
Well my CPU is a Xeon this processors do not have IGPU, because its primary intention is to work on servers or a very high end systems with dedicates graphics cards.
Are you on Big Sur 11.1 now or are you on Beta release?
Do you think that if I change to my system to iMac Pro 1,1 could I get DRM working?
BTW and sorry but what it's "Sidecar"

Thanks you!!
Hi - I can only draw references from my own setup so iMac Pro 1,1 works quite well for DRM ability, since your CPU does not have integrated graphics, this Mac Model is ideal. I was on BS 11.1 but now as part of the Beta Program, I am now running the very latest BS Beta.

Sidecar is an Apple feature which allows you to connect and continue open projects from one Device to another. The app is in System Preferences/Sidecar (see attached).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 15.35.05.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 15.35.05.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 15.35.32.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 15.35.32.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back