Contribute
Register

Drives not being ejected properly on SLEEP. (Mavericks 10.9 upgrade)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I just upgraded my Hackintosh to 10.9. I have a weird issue. When I wake the computer up from sleep, I get a message saying that the disk was not ejected properly. This message is refering to the USB2 HDD that I use as a clone drive.

This problem never happened before. Should I bother trying to tinker with OSX, or should I just get a 3rd party app (Jettison for example) to do the ejecting for me?

This problem never happened when I was running OSX 10.8.

So I just upgraded my Hackintosh to 10.9. I have a weird issue. When I wake the computer up from sleep, I get a message saying that the disk was not ejected properly. This message is refering to the USB2 HDD that I use as a clone drive.

This problem never happened before. Should I bother trying to tinker with OSX, or should I just get a 3rd party app (Jettison for example) to do the ejecting for me?

I have come across a couple of things that can cause this one of which is having a second device connected to the same hub which is drawing more power than the hub can provide. Sometimes I got a random unsafe eject and sometime the drive would not mount after sleep properly.

Another issue that caused this was an overclock that just needed a little bit more voltage.

rather than going through all the different issues that I have experienced which appear related to this I will go into my Bios and save screenshots of my setup for you. Give me a little while and I will post them here.

Please ignore the overclock settings as they are specific to my machine and my cooling setup.

The other settings should give you a stable system with USB 3.0 working and wake from Sleep working.

Give me a few minutes to reboot and save the screenshots

OK here are the screenshots of my working Bios setup

A few points to note -
It is not clear in the bios shots but all boot options are set to Legacy only
XHCI Mode is deliberately set to Smart Auto contrary to the advice you may see here (with the bios settings here and Mavericks XHCI implementation that works better).
Legacy USB is enabled and will cause no issue with these settings.
If you have external USB devices set them to Auto initially - when the Bios detects USB SES devices you may need to designate them as CDROM in the way the Bios should treat them. e.g. I have a USB 3.0 WD My Book and the bios sees the EFi Partition and the Storage partition - I have set SES Device that the Bios detects for it to CDROM, and the actual storage device to Auto. That way it will not give you any issues at boot time.

Attachments

• Z77X-UD5H Bios settings OSX10.9.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 453

The other issue I should have mentioned is - use the F_USB30_3 and F_USB30_2 headers in the bottom corner of the board as opposed to the F_USB30_1 header which is located near the memory slots for connecting any front or rear panel plates with USB 3.0 connectors. They work better. The F_USB30_1 can have some issues which are reported on this board and elsewhere.

Thanks for the screens.

I matched most of your BIOS settings. (but I was running version 15 not, 14). I have another wield issue. Boot time is slow, and going to/waking from sleep is painfully slow as well. I imagine its BIOS related. Any idea?

I suspect you are right regarding it being Bios related, however bear in mind that if you several External devices connected that may also contribute to slowness of boot. Try to boot with only your mouse and keyboard connected - if you have the same slowness it rules out external devices.

I tried a couple of the version 15 Bios but they were problematic (can't remember exactly what the issues were).

The version 15 bios' on the Gigabyte site are still in Beta and have been for a long time.

I chose not to use them but to stick with version 14 as it was much more stable when I tested them.

Welll I just left my computer overnight. Came back this morning, and lots of issues came back. Even with Jettison running the computer didn't eject and remount all the disks properly when waking up.

Its also taking forever to go to sleep, and to wake. Not to mention that booting probably takes twice as long as it should.

I might try rolling back to F14. If that fails, then I will probably (regrettably) end up installing Windows and saying screw it to Hackintosh. Its been fun for the year I've been tinkering, and my built was 100% working on OSX 10.8, but this time around.... man, it's killing me. :banghead: :p

I suspect you are right regarding it being Bios related, however bear in mind that if you several External devices connected that may also contribute to slowness of boot. Try to boot with only your mouse and keyboard connected - if you have the same slowness it rules out external devices.

I tried a couple of the version 15 Bios but they were problematic (can't remember exactly what the issues were).

The version 15 bios' on the Gigabyte site are still in Beta and have been for a long time.

I chose not to use them but to stick with version 14 as it was much more stable when I tested them.

Give it a try - F14 - clean install and set the bios up the way it is in the screenshots I sent and it should work.

This has been the cleanest, easiest Hackintosh install I have ever done as is the closest to a real mac I have had in terms of operation.

Don't install Jettison as it should not be needed. Hope it works for you - I bought Windows but have found it horrible to use.

edited to add
Incidentally I don't use UseKernelCache on my machine.

You know what? I think you are right. I just put F14 back on, and used your settings. I even used the overclock settings you had since my cooling system is quite good and our systems seem to be similar.

I ran a few simple tests.

My system goes to sleep quite quickly, and wakes up fast. No messages about drives not being ejected properly :) I did a few shut downs, and it powers down quickly. Start-up time seems normal too.

My USB3 device is recognized and works just fine.

Things look a LOT more stable now. I might not have to put windows after all. It seems to be working about as well as it was when I was running OSX 10.8, but I imagine that my BIOS settings are better now.

So chalk it up to an unstable BIOS version. F14 is the way to go. Thanks! :clap:

Give it a try - F14 - clean install and set the bios up the way it is in the screenshots I sent and it should work.

This has been the cleanest, easiest Hackintosh install I have ever done as is the closest to a real mac I have had in terms of operation.

Don't install Jettison as it should not be needed. Hope it works for you - I bought Windows but have found it horrible to use.

edited to add
Incidentally I don't use UseKernelCache on my machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back