Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In my /Library/Extensions folder is a copy of "FakePCIID.kext," and also "Fake PCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext" which seem to be necessary for audio to be working on my Hackintosh. And audio works fine, but I do not understand the purposes of these kexts. I have read the text on GitHub at "https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id" but it is entirely Greek to me, and seems to apply only to Intel integrated graphics, which I am not using. However, without these two kexts, I have no audio. I do not use HDMI, but that seems to make no difference. My audio port is the rear-panel audio output of my Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI motherboard. I'm running Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra (Build 17G4015).

I get that I need these, but can anyone explain in plain English why they are needed?

Thanks for reading!

OK, to wrap this since no one is interested anyway, I switched from RehabMan's "FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext" method of providing audio, to The "AppleALC.kext + Lilu" method, which works fine also.

OK, to wrap this since no one is interested anyway, I switched from RehabMan's "FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext" method of providing audio, to The "AppleALC.kext + Lilu" method, which works fine also.

Well I'm certainly interested!

I run the same Fake* kexts. The advantage seems to be that using these I also get audio from HDMI to the speakers in my monitor for completeness sake. I don't usually use it but I like having it available. I have also had no success with AppleALC - but in all honesty haven't tried too hard - so went back to this old method. Why mend what isn't broken etc?

As for an explanation of why the Fake* kexts are needed. As I understand it the Fake* kexts allow a device to be attached to the PCI sub-system that doesn't have a specific deviceID - the hardware code macOS is looking for to match it's own hardware. This way other hardware can be attached and driven.

Unless I have misunderstood! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back