Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm trying to prepare for this today and I'm still confused

I'm on Monterey 12.7.4 and using iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS

Do I need WhateverGreen and the agdpmod=pikera boot argument ?

or should I remove WEG and that boot argument?

Some posts online seem to say it's natively supported and that WE and the boot argument aren't need and/or screw things up and cause a black screen?

And yet some other posts say native support is only there if you're using a MacPro SMBIOS.
I'd rather not switch SMBIOS if I don't have to though.

Thank you for any knowledge on this so I'm prepared and can properly create my "OC USB Stick tester" here

Last edited:
UPDATE

My card arrived and I've confirmed that with:

• PowerColor RX 6600 XT 8GB
  • Monterey 12.7.4
  • SMBIOS for iMacPro 1,1

I don't need WhateverGreen nor the agdpmod=pikera boot argument.

My only boot argument is for my Audio configuration and I'm booting right in, no black screens, no issues.

Hope this helps someone else!

I'm surprised also based upon all the reports out there
But I've rebooted a few times and all continues great!

No luck on 120hz at 4k, however, with my LG C3 and a couple different HDMI 2.1 cables that are all rated for 4k/120hz+

Going to try a couple custom things w/ SwitchResX, but my plan tomorrow is to install Ventura on a backup NVMe and see how it goes...I'd really like to get 120hz, but I'm not sure I want it enough to go to Sonoma and no longer have native WiFi and Bluetooth (I'm on one of the Broadcom cards)

How about getting Chroma 4:4:4 on the LG OLED TV ?

How about getting Chroma 4:4:4 on the LG OLED TV ?

Here's what I'm showing

Also, just now I was able to turn on "Deep Color" on the LG side, which on the RX 580 causes No Signal issues and was a big pain when going back and forth to Windows for gaming and HDR, which would always turn on Deep Color
Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 12.58.22.png

To enable Chroma 4:4:4

Go to your LG TV's settings and select enable "HDMI ULTRA HD deep color." Then, press the input button, then select "All inputs." Pick the input you would like to enable the feature on then edit the icon. Select the PC icon.

Then take a close up look at some text to see how sharp it is. There are some images you can use to determine if 4:4:4 sub-sampling is working. Very hard to tell with just your eyes.

To enable Chroma 4:4:4

Go to your LG TV's settings and select enable "HDMI ULTRA HD deep color." Then, press the input button, then select "All inputs." Pick the input you would like to enable the feature on then edit the icon. Select the PC icon.

Then take a close up look at some text to see how sharp it is. There are some Windows programs you can use to determine if 4:4:4 sub-sampling is working. Very hard to tell with just your eyes.

4:4:4 pass through and Ultra Deep Color are both on, and I'm using the PC icon, yes

Still nothing re: HDR or 120hz though

I wonder if this is a Monterey issue

If you look at Display Settings do you see a Pro Motion option ?

Screen Shot 1.jpg

It may only work for MBPs that are connected to a 120Hz 4 or 5K display. Not sure if it works when using a Desktop SMBIOS on a Mac or Hackintosh desktop PC.

If you look at Display Settings do you see a Pro Motion option ?

View attachment 580423

It may only work for MBPs that are connected to a 120Hz 4 or 5K display. Not sure if it works when using a Desktop SMBIOS on a Mac or Hackintosh desktop PC.

Oh gosh no - I'm on Monterey

you bring up a great point though… I wonder if I need to switch SMBIOS to maybe the Mac Pro, which could theoretically be hooked up to a high refresh rate display unlike the iMacPro SMBIOS I’m using.

Interesting

Maybe in my testing tomorrow, I will install a fresh copy of Monterey with a Mac Pro SMBIOS FIRST TO SEE IF I COULD STAY ON MONTEREY AND GET HIGH REFRESH RATE SUPPORT

Sorry about the caps. I’m using Siri so naturally it’s screwed up.

Last edited:
Back