Contribute
Register

Doing RX 580 to RX 6600 XT swap today on Monterey

If you are using an iMac19,x SMBIOS then the system would have a Retina 5K screen. But maybe not provide the ability to change the refresh rate for the internal display.

Disabling the IGPU and using iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 with the new dGPU providing all graphics processing, might give you that option in macOS.

If you are using an iMac19,x SMBIOS then the system would have a Retina 5K screen. But maybe not provide the ability to change the refresh rate for the internal display.

Disabling the IGPU and using iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 with the new dGPU providing all graphics processing, might give you that option in macOS.

Hi there!
I'm already using the iMacPro1,1 and iGPU disabled

All the attempts to try things that worked for some in SwitchResX failed for me so I'm going to test out Ventura and maybe Sonoma today on an extra NVMe stick I have.

In the past I had a Gigabyte M32U monitor that I successfully got 98hz running on Monterey, but that was with DisplayPort. I wonder if that's the difference here and why I can't get anything going this time on Monterey (HDMI 2.1 on both ends)

From what I read the LG C3 55" OLED TV supports 4K@100Hz (Native). Does your LG TV have a higher refresh rate?

From what I read the LG C3 55" OLED TV supports 4K@100Hz (Native). Does your LG TV have a higher refresh rate?

Oh yeah!
On the Windows 11 side I'm at 120hz with HDR and VRR, no issues, with HDMI 2.1

All the issues here are on the macOS support side

Installed Ventura on my test drive and I’m getting 4K 120hz through HDM1 2.1 (both ends) with my LG C3 OLED

I’m just trying to decide between a direct upgrade of my Monterey install .. or a clean Ventura install and then a Time Machine restore

Keep the Clean installation, as that way you are not importing any mistakes from your previous installs.

Be very careful about what you import to the Ventura installation from Time Machine. Data is fine, some settings may not work correctly in Ventura.

Use iCloud for importing bookmarks, email, messages etc.

@Edhawk

Your suggestion mirrors my intuition here
I’d rather go totally clean for a Ventura upgrade from Monterey

I gotta dig into why I can’t get the Sonoma installer to boot. I really want to test that first before I decide.

It’s interesting that betterdisplay is telling me I am getting 10 bit, but my TV itself is not.

Which version of macOS Sonoma have you tried booting/installing?
As long as you have a recent version of OpenCore, that boots Ventura you should be able to boot Sonoma with the same EFI.

Things to note about Sonoma:
  1. Intel WiFi & BT kexts might need to be disabled in the config so you can install Sonoma 14.4 or newer.
  2. OCLP might need to be removed before you install Sonoma 14.4 or 14.4.1.
  3. You may need to set SecureBootModel as 'Disabled' to get the installer to work.
I have had to do the above for a couple of different Hack's, before I could update to Sonoma 14.4 and then 14.4.1.

Back