Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
When I set up Clover, I eventually come to the part where I select the Mac profile I want to use. Is there any reason to choose one system vs another? Are there certain OS X features that are only available for a Mac Pro and others that are only for iMac or laptops?

What about choosing an older one vs a newer, say iMac 11,1 vs iMac 15,1?

For the record, I use an iMac 11,3 profile because I actually own one and used the same serial numbers and stuff.

So, what I really what to know is am I gimping my hardware by using am iMac 11,3 profile?

When I set up Clover, I eventually come to the part where I select the Mac profile I want to use. Is there any reason to choose one system vs another? Are there certain OS X features that are only available for a Mac Pro and others that are only for iMac or laptops?

What about choosing an older one vs a newer, say iMac 11,1 vs iMac 15,1?

For the record, I use an iMac 11,3 profile because I actually own one and used the same serial numbers and stuff.

So, what I really what to know is am I gimping my hardware by using am iMac 11,3 profile?

You're unlikely to be 'gimping' it a lot.

What you should look to do is pick a profile that is the closest hardware match to the hardware you are installing on. This will help keep things a little more original.

I always start with processor matching, followed closely by graphics, and I use www.everymac.com as a starting point.

A matching processor is always a good place to be, even though it is not technically necessary.

iMac profiles 15,1 and above all use AMD graphics, so if you have an nVidia card, you have some tweaking to do - a quick forum search will reveal the simple steps to do this.

If you can match as closely as possible those 2 areas, it will give you a good starting point.

Your CPU in your profile (i5-4690) was used in the iMac15,1 model, so I would start with that.

Thanks for the reply.

Aside from setting up iMessage where valid hardware is required, what purpose does the profile have. What other parts of the OS are privy to the system ID and serial number? Could I, theoretically, leave the profile blank and have a functional Hack?

Thanks for the reply.

Aside from setting up iMessage where valid hardware is required, what purpose does the profile have. What other parts of the OS are privy to the system ID and serial number? Could I, theoretically, leave the profile blank and have a functional Hack?

There are parts of the system definition incorporated in several configuration plist files under the hood in OSX. If you try to even install without a definition it is unlikely you would get far. And if that did work to the point of completing installation, don't expect your hack to be 100% functional as you expect.

The serial number is only one part of the system definition of course. But better to have a fake/made up serial than simply leaving it blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back