Contribute
Register

Does Intel's New X79 Support Lion? [SOCKET 2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If intel new X79 support lion?

kurtface said:
just copy them from your unibeast drive. to do this you must have show all files on. I've had the same problem also. It works after that.

thanks... i did it...now im again running multibeast with the settings u sent.....then i sent u pictures....

kurtface said:
please send me a screenshot like the one below. and also one of your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

It could be a problem there.

i sent you image with chameleon plist,mac info and nvhal100 info....

Attachments

• IMG_0090[1].JPG
    IMG_0090[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 206

Should be working. Just install the Gtx enabler without deleting anything like it says to do and without the aty_int. Then the cuda enabler. Reboot.

@kurtface

LOVE IT!

yeah, i realize water is the step up, but i was really hoping for a quiet system.. so i'm hoping that the noctua d14 is enough for mild overclocking for now... i hear the h100 is really noisy, is your system the 'davoz' system that was mentioned in the thread?

re: GFX - after looking at upclose details from GPU vs CPU renders ( don't have the page right now) i felt like i would rather go for higher quality renders + faster performance during production, & since i also have a quad core laptop i can always work on music while the beast renders :) .. & down the road i will probably pick up a 580 a well..

so i'm just waiting for my chip to arrive.. tomorrow... in terms of an install on a separate drive, do you think its safe to install on an external hard drive using my mac laptop, via the settings you had? or should i wait until my CPU gets here? would love to have it ready to go when it gets here..

thanks everyone!

kurtface said:
@freestylemvt

Your 850 Watt Power supply should be fine. Spend some more money and liquid cool your system if you want to overclock. Air coolers cant do the same job. A good liquid cooling system can cost quite a bit. There are some ready to use systems you can get but building one is more fun. If you want to make it simple get a Corsair H100.

GTX vs Quadro
You will notice a smoother workflow using a Quadro with Z Brush and C4D. But if you do GPU renders then a GTX is faster. with windows you can use a Quadro and a GTX card. I don't know if that will work on OSX on a PC. That is something you will have to try out. But could be worth it if you want to save time doing GPU renders.

I see you are getting the same board, CPU and memory as I have. Well Snow Leopard works fine and was also easy to install. And don't worry about Lion. It was easy to install and works perfectly. I had my system setup with Snow Leopard and Lion installed in about one hour.

Give me a shout if you need help.

P.S. How do you like my system?

i'm still a little confused at the process of woroking with an external backup.

you can use a mac laptop (for example ) to install multibeat & OSX on a partition.

then yoy use Carbon copy to port it onto the machine?

what about applications? should i make a separate partition with my applications just so i have a copy with and without?

thanks...

You could wait for the GTX680. It should be coming out soon. It will be even faster.

Make a unibeast usb drive and make a fresh install when it arrives. It took about 10 minutes to install onto a SSD. I only needed about 1 hour to install the system and all my apps.

Yes a H100 can be loud if you overclock your system. Mine is very quite. I can hardly hear it even when i've done the extrem overclock. I'm not sure how far you can go with an air cooler. That you will have to try. If you want to overclock and want good temps then build yourself a liquid cooled system as I did. It does take time and a lot of cash but it sure is worth it.

Thanx for all those that have contributed to this thread - great to see lion installed on the x79 platform!

Just wondering if anyone has tried a Gigabyte x79 mobo? (the dsdt database seems to have more support for Gigabyte mobo's than any other brand!)

I wanted Bluetooth & Firewire and none of the Asus boards have both!

Also I have had less problems with installing and stability on a GB mobo than on Asus
but I am willing to learn or be persuaded to go with the Asus if the case for Asus is compelling (or any other mobo)

Thanx in advance :)

@kurtface / anyone

so i'm in the middle of my install process.

updated ASUS x79 PRO BIOS to latest (v906) version
4GB RAM

1SSD plugged in grey Intel 6G port

ran iboot with PCRootUID=1 and successfully installed installed 10.6 DVD (i think at least, i got to the restart screen and it restarted)

used iboot to select the new disk image.

when i get to apple logo, thinking GIF happens & then crash. everytime.

any clues?? is it my graphics card? seems weird...

also my CPU fan reads errors.. hardware seems to work .... any ideas how to troubleshoot appreciated..

thanks!

UPDATE:

so here are the disk utility errors when i reboot using the DVD.

incorrect block count for file pcscd.pub
should be 16 instead of 17

hope this helps. trying to reinstall again.
GUID partition Journaled...

though this will be the 4th time.

Did you use multibeast or didn't you get that far? If yes which version? Which version of osx are you using? Change you fan setup in your bios. I don't believe the problem is caused by your gfx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back