HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So iTunes is a subject of debate for a lot of people- if you have an iPod or iPhone, you use it. If not, you may like other software that will allow you to directly side-load songs from your file manager.

I always uncheck "Copy files to my iTunes Library" because I keep my digital music on a separate partition from my system. Then it just links the songs and organizes them- you can still organize your actual song files where and how you want.

I am an iTunes fan, not because I'm an Apple fanboy, but I like it's ease of use, and It is much nicer on Mac than it is on Windows. Admittedly it's slow at times and bogs down even on my system, but I attribute this to it being made up of a bunch of old code- and not being a 64bit app yet.

Here's a cool article from Daring Fireball about iTunes and Cocoa.
http://daringfireball.net/2009/09/itunes_and_cocoa

I use iTunes with your same basis of usage. The best thing for me is that I have the mac upstairs and one Denon A/V receiver in the basement connected with an Airport Express. Using the Iphone I control the music streaming. Awesome!

As Tony said, iTunes is simple/clean. I like it for that. Though, I prefer power features (such as Winamp on Windows). When I get my hackintosh working properly, I will come back to edit this post to give my fav on Mac. :headbang:

I use it because I can't really find anything else for mac. Songbird seems a bit clunky. I don't really like iTunes though, I think the fact that it doesn't write proper ID3 tags is crap, and I just don't like the asset management of it all.

Lol, apparently I'm the only one that doesn't use iTunes.

I'm more of a classical music person, and I compose my own songs. My music library never gets really big anyways, so I just keep everything tidy in a "Music" folder on my desktop.

@jimx86 or anyone else.
What are some good alternatives to iTunes that you recommend from personal experience?

<3 Column browser. <3 Music Library. <3 Keeping my music library organized. I haven't found another music player that just works as well as iTunes does for these things.

I use iTunes because I don't cluttering my system with many 3rd party utilities. I store my library on my Ubuntu file server in my basement. This allows any of my Macs to use the same library. Also, I have a iPod Touch so it's really the only way that I can get music on it easily and sync my notes and apps.

I dislike how iTunes is so resource heavy. They should make a "LITE" version with just essential components. iTunes on Windows is hell (Windows is my main). Apple complains about bloatware on Windows while their music player IS bloatware. :\ Sucks I have an iPhone for that reason. :beachball:

Tony or anybody...

I'm trying to use the OSX partition and itunes to keep a running backup of my music collection. Can I use an application like ''sync two folders'' to add files from a music drive I have formatted FAT or is it best to just find the new files in finder and drop them onto the itunes icon?

I use that FAT formatted drive to backup my windows 7 music, and Im hoping a utility like that could help me create a redundancy with backup in SL. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back