Contribute
Register

Do you use iPhoto?

Do you use iPhoto?

• Total voters
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I just tried iPhoto...that miserable experience lasted all of 60 seconds.

I am still sold on Picasa.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68
CPU
i7-2660k
Graphics
GTX 560Ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
celltech said:
I just tried iPhoto...that miserable experience lasted all of 60 seconds.

I am still sold on Picasa.
Wow, you gave it a whole 60 seconds? :crazy:

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
animeghost said:
I prefer using Aperture, it is much better in photo management and light editing works. For detail editing work, I would go for photoshop.
Agreed, I use Aperture as well, its very versatal, but I hate exporting and then opening in Photoshop to do major tweaks. Plus Photoshop can't read Aperture library's, i need a better way to manage my pictures..

I'm trying to pull away from Aperture and do everything in either Cam Raw or photoshop, but Aperture makes it so easy

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Rev 1.0 Bios F8
CPU
i7-4790k OC 4.9ghz
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
tofuconfetti said:
I've been a photography buff since I was 16 (now mid fifties). I started digital photography at the back end of a telescope with a camera that looked like a metal brick with a fan in it. In other words, at a very basic level. Still having the restriction of using film in my mind, when I converted my land photography to digital, I now take hundreds of images when I used to take "two rolls" (36x2). Then end result is about 80 Gb worth (or more) of images accumulated over years, many scanned from old 35mm and 2.25x2.25" Kodachrome slides.

There is one tool which I prefer OVER Photoshop and that is Aperture. It is iPhoto on steroids and controls the printing process better than Photoshop in my opinion. Aperture's organizing abilities are uncanny and if you are a database guy it makes perfect sense. Since I got it two years ago, I haven't looked back.

If you get a chance to try it, do. It's an excellent tool. Apple did that one very right.
You could have been writing about me there as well. iPhoto is a nice program but Aperture is just so much better.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Been photographing for about 1.5 years and since I started using Lightroom I'm stuck. I can't recommend it enough ;)

Have just switched to a customac so it's gonna be intresting to see how easy/hard it is to transfer the database from a windows lightroom to the os-x-lightroom...

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
R9 290
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I'm a professional photographer-- and I use Aperture for 99% of everything I do photographically. My work is mostly photojournalism these days, so I don't do wild local edits-- meaning I hardly need to go to PS except when stitching panoramas.

I don't use iPhoto, because it would just duplicate my workflow. I import RAW files into Aperture. I use Aperture's database to organize and backup my images (I have a separate drive in my Hackintosh devoted to my Aperture library; I have an external drive for backing up that library; and I have half a dozen backup drives on another continent in a "frozen" data state in case of catastrophic events in my apartment); I edit in Aperture, process the files, and output as JPG when I need to submit work on a photo by photo basis.

R

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
R9 290
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Oh, and before I shot professionally, I used early versions of iPhoto to store and play with point and shoot images.

I used to use ACR and Photoshop to edit, organize, and output my photos (pre-Aperture); but Aperture cut my workflow time down by 80% easily. When I was shooting weddings and switched from ACD to Aperture, my image quality went up significantly (I think Aperture has the best RAW processor out there; not a fan of ACR), and my total time in front of the screen dropped, literally, by 80% or more.

Motherboard
z68ap-d3 (2.x FB)
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
Geforce GT 740
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
I built this hackintosh specifically for photos. I have thousands of crap I've shot/downloaded from the net and needed to organize/edit them and wanted to have a snappy system to do it on. So far so good.

iphoto sucked for what I needed.
Picasa rules!