Contribute
Register

Do you use iPhoto?

Do you use iPhoto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
tofuconfetti said:
I've been a photography buff since I was 16 (now mid fifties). I started digital photography at the back end of a telescope with a camera that looked like a metal brick with a fan in it. In other words, at a very basic level. Still having the restriction of using film in my mind, when I converted my land photography to digital, I now take hundreds of images when I used to take "two rolls" (36x2). Then end result is about 80 Gb worth (or more) of images accumulated over years, many scanned from old 35mm and 2.25x2.25" Kodachrome slides.

There is one tool which I prefer OVER Photoshop and that is Aperture. It is iPhoto on steroids and controls the printing process better than Photoshop in my opinion. Aperture's organizing abilities are uncanny and if you are a database guy it makes perfect sense. Since I got it two years ago, I haven't looked back.

If you get a chance to try it, do. It's an excellent tool. Apple did that one very right.

You could have been writing about me there as well. iPhoto is a nice program but Aperture is just so much better.

I'm a professional photographer-- and I use Aperture for 99% of everything I do photographically. My work is mostly photojournalism these days, so I don't do wild local edits-- meaning I hardly need to go to PS except when stitching panoramas.

I don't use iPhoto, because it would just duplicate my workflow. I import RAW files into Aperture. I use Aperture's database to organize and backup my images (I have a separate drive in my Hackintosh devoted to my Aperture library; I have an external drive for backing up that library; and I have half a dozen backup drives on another continent in a "frozen" data state in case of catastrophic events in my apartment); I edit in Aperture, process the files, and output as JPG when I need to submit work on a photo by photo basis.

R

Oh, and before I shot professionally, I used early versions of iPhoto to store and play with point and shoot images.

I used to use ACR and Photoshop to edit, organize, and output my photos (pre-Aperture); but Aperture cut my workflow time down by 80% easily. When I was shooting weddings and switched from ACD to Aperture, my image quality went up significantly (I think Aperture has the best RAW processor out there; not a fan of ACR), and my total time in front of the screen dropped, literally, by 80% or more.

I built this hackintosh specifically for photos. I have thousands of crap I've shot/downloaded from the net and needed to organize/edit them and wanted to have a snappy system to do it on. So far so good.

iphoto sucked for what I needed.
Picasa rules!

I like iPhoto for general organization of files. I keep a small graphic (under 2MB)in it for quick look and find. My iPhoto library is on a different drive than my boot drive.
I use Photoshop for scanning film, slide and prints. I keep my photo files on more than one drive for backups. Like Photoshop Elements for general cleanup of scanned photos.

iPhoto is the reason that made me defiantly choose an iMac as my next computer.
I've been hackintoshing both for fun, self improvement and testing the possibilities of a SO over another; I had my fun and I think the moment to pay back Apple for his efforts will come soon.

My wife and I do tons of pictures and movies of our daughter, and iPhoto is the easiest and best software I've used till now for importing pictures and movies from devices and keep it organized for date. It also recognizes faces which is important for adding search tags.
I'm using both iPhoto and iMovie at home and I'm very happy.

I've been using Adobe Creative Suite for ten years now; I'm working as a web designer / illustrator. My last version is CS3, I'm planning to switch to CS6 when it comes out hopefully at the beginning of the next year. It should include a fantastic anti blur plug in for Photoshop.
Photoshop is the definitive photographer / artist tool, but you need to know how to use it.
The various things that software like Lightroom allows you to do to fix colours and lights can be done with 2/3 tools in Photoshop, but it is far more difficult. That's the reason behind the creation of software like Lightroom or others.
I wouldn't suggest to buy Photoshop for pictures simple tweaks. It is far too expensive for the task. If you are a pro, or you have a serious learning interest, than get it and you won't be disappointed.

I use aperture to organize my photos and for minor repairs such as contrast and white balance, etc. I love the smart folders in aperture.
For certain photos and montages I use Photoshop (http://levi-thano.deviantart.com/ :) )

I use ACDSee...better than iPhoto. ;)

I have worked with a lot of apps the last 10 years, always at a Mac and the every app have pros and cons. ACDSee I do not like it at all. Aperture is nice but is keeping all of the files (pictures) at one folder. And if you have 10-15 thousands of them it is a little problem. New I photo is nice and it has some good tools for home usage but not for Pro. Photoshop is my editing software and I do not think it can de replace.
If any of the Apple apps have an add-on to chose to edit the picture at Photoshop and then back to it it will be perfect.

This Picasa it looks like a cheap copy of the iPhoto to me and with worst interface.
I would like someone who like it and support it, to explain to me some of the pros compare to iPhoto.
And at the iPhoto or Aperture you can share your library over your home network which makes it very friendly to the home user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back