Contribute
Register

Do you own a real Mac?

Do You Own a Real Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned many Macs since my first 512 purchased in 1985 and I've used even more at work. I have two iMacs and a 13" MacBook in trickle down use at home. I've been a Mac Evangelist since 1985, but that's wearing off with some of Apple's recent decisions about user upgrades and slow model updates, especially on the iMac and Mac Pro. My current front-line "Mac" is my first Hackintosh.

A 21.5" iMac (I bought it around 2007) and a 2012 Macbook Pro.

I've owned 3 iMacs (currently, I have two) an MacMini, plus magic mice, trackpads, etc. I started using a hack due to a need for a super over-clocked machine that does a lot of video work in both osx and windows. I also have a need for a machine that runs linux as well and there is no mac that can do all that with the processing power I needed.

I've pared down, somewhat. I used to have three iMacs, but sold two of them. The last, an old dual core 20", is my wife's computer, and she refuses to part with it, even though I gave her my old 17" dual core MacBook Pro. Have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" with a solid state that I *used* to think was ridiculously fast, until I built my hack. The prize though, is an old Lisa, which my inlaws found lurking in their closet and gave to me with the words "You like macs right, here have this!"

I think regardless ill always have a "real" mac in the house. Currently have 2011 17inch macbook pro, 2010 mac mini and a 2009 white macbook. I think though ill go to a macbook air next the 17 inch is a monster to carry around.

I have a Macbook Pro Retina (16GB, 512 GB SSD). Before that I had the 2010 17" dual core i7 8GB. The bottlenecks have always come from external storage drive transfer rates (thunderbolt is too expensive for a large but portable drive) and mainly the graphics card.

I almost threw the MBPr out the window when I realized to run an editing suite effectively with my dell U2711, I needed to turn down the resolution on both the monitor and retina in order to editing HD in real time...professional computer my a**

I've always admired Mac's but have never owned one. Then a friend turned me on to the whole Hackintosh thing. I'm in the process of collecting components now, hope to be in build phase next week.

What do you guys think the future of Mac desktops is?

Did a mac pro 3.1 8core.....but I wanted to upgrade so i sold it...and built (building) this hack.....or Apple PC if you will....

Yes, I have owned a goodly number of Macs. Mostly laptops. I currently have the 15" Retina MacBook Pro that is nearly maxed out. I did not go for the 768GB SSD, I went with the 512GB version. This laptop goes everywhere with me (along with my iPhone 5, iPad2, Nexus 7, and Kindle Fire). You can never have too many CPUs is one of my frequent utterances.

I survived 10 days a year ago April in the hospital and became so disenchanted with two of my PC laptops that I had hacked to OS X, that I made a vow to purchase the best Apple solution and keep it this time around. And along came the Retina MacBook Pro; this is the best laptop that I have ever seen. And it is quick! With 16GB of memory and the i7 CPU, I am able to run VMWare Fusion 5 and have several virtual machines up concurrently and switch between them with CTRL + arrow key quickly.

And again, I love OS X.

neil

Our house is kind of like Apple central, so no, I don't feel like I owe Apple anything.

2 - iMac 2006
2 - MacBook Pro 1- 2007 1 -2008
Mac Mini 2011
2 - iPhones
2 - iPads
2 - iPods
Apple TV
Time Capsule 2TB
And 2 Hac's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back