Contribute
Register

Do SSDs reduce latency in Music Production...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with others. Since the early days of 10.x and PowerPC chips, TI chipsets is the recommended for firewire attached devices for Apple. Get one. It will save you a ton of grief. Back then, and even now.

Sorry, but SoundBlaster is NOT a pro level card. Doesn't matter if the SoundBlaster packaging says Platinum/Gold/Pro 64/128/whatever... it's crap.

I'm using an 828mk2 MOTU with the Syba FW card.

BoomR said:
blazer55555 said:
No problem BoomR ! Its okay :cool: .. I think if tony and macman builds a DSDT for UD5H mobo after the release of Mountain Lion then the firewire port would work even its a VIA or a TI chipset. If i use a PCIe Firewire card i may get into problems.. :? I just want to make it simple instead of making my hackintosh work and do my production. I would be very happy if experts like you guide me in selecting my mobo, which i can work with my Firewire interface Out of the Box... please correct me if i am wrong(I dont know much about Mac OS X)..

No...you don't understand. It doesn't matter if Tony builds a DSDT for the GA-Z77X-UD5H, it STILL has the WRONG chipset for trouble-free Firewire audio use on Mac. Sure, VIA chipset Firewire will work, but you risk getting pops & clicks (artifacts) in your recorded audio. Also, the VIA chipset has problems waking after sleep. This is well-documented in many places all over Tonymacx86. A new board with Z77 chipset will not change the fact that anything OTHER than TI firewire chipset will not work for audio on Mac.

Do a search of this board for all the people using firewire for audio. EVERYONE will tell you that Texas Instruments (TI) chipset is the magic formula with Apple for audio. TRUST me... I've been doing this for YEARS.

**IF** you decide to use the GA-Z77X-UD5H, there are several PCIe firewire cards that work right out of the box (no drivers, kext edits, etc needed). Read through this thread (and the links inside of it) VERY carefully... and you will have more information and a good recommendation on PCIe Firewire card: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45039

You are free to do whatever you want, but you posted questions & wanted help on the forum.

Sorry i couldn't get you :? .. hands down i'll buy that Syba PCIe card :thumbup: , BTW are you still experiencing shutdown problems with that card..? What Firewire card you suggest me now .. ? You already own a liquid saffire. Connected via Firewire am i right? did you get any problems with that..? Sure, I need guidence of an expert like you who can help me..building my first hckintosh rig(particularly for music production)

powerpcg5 said:
Sorry, but SoundBlaster is NOT a pro level card. Doesn't matter if the SoundBlaster packaging says Platinum/Gold/Pro 64/128/whatever... it's crap.

i agree with that!
and i'm using a RME Fireface 400 with onboard Firewire port with VIA chipset , that runs OOB and rock solid :headbang:

blazer55555 said:
I agree with you all.. I will go for a syba FW card with a TI chip...BTW will it work with my Saffire pro 40 OOB..? Does the Mac OS X Lion support that card..?

My guess is "yes" as Firewire has been a mainstay of Apple products since almost the beginning. And yes, it will work with your Saffire Pro 40 OOB. Well, the FIREWIRE will work OOB; you will need to download & install the Saffire MixControl before using it with your new Hackintosh :)

blazer55555 said:
Sorry i couldn't get you :? .. hands down i'll buy that Syba PCIe card :thumbup: , BTW are you still experiencing shutdown problems with that card..? What Firewire card you suggest me now .. ? You already own a liquid saffire. Connected via Firewire am i right? did you get any problems with that..? Sure, I need guidence of an expert like you who can help me..building my first hckintosh rig(particularly for music production)

My shutdown problems were a combination of my old Sonnet Tempo combo Firewire & USB card AND my Apogee Symphony 64 card AND my initial "budget" Gigabyte motherboard. No problems with my current Gigabyte motherboard & Syba FW card (which worked OOB) and now works perfectly with my Mackie 1220i Onyx Firewire Mixer/audio interface combo :headbang:

BoomR said:
No...you don't understand. It doesn't matter if Tony builds a DSDT for the GA-Z77X-UD5H, it STILL has the WRONG chipset for trouble-free Firewire audio use on Mac. Sure, VIA chipset Firewire will work, but you risk getting pops & clicks (artifacts) in your recorded audio. Also, the VIA chipset has problems waking after sleep. This is well-documented in many places all over Tonymacx86. A new board with Z77 chipset will not change the fact that anything OTHER than TI firewire chipset will not work for audio on Mac.

Check my build that I posted yesterday
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=64267

I am using onboard firewire, and it is trouble-free.

As for the original question: SSD does not affect audio plugin latency in any way. Latency is a function of your audio interface, its drivers, and your CPU speed.

your firewire still works? After sleep?

powerpcg5 said:
your firewire still works? After sleep?
i haven't been able to get sleep to work, so i don't actually know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back