Contribute
Register

Do SSDs reduce latency in Music Production...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
blazer55555 said:
Thank you BoomR & heddhunter :thumbup:
But what about the option "Wake for network access" ...?? Should i check or Uncheck it..? :think:

I don't think that will have any effect, since your system will not enter sleep mode with the slider settings set as shown. BUT the HDD would still go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity, so you also want to remove/uncheck that option. You don't want any issues with things locking up because system stayed awake but HDD went to sleep :banghead:

:headbang:

BoomR said:
BUT the HDD would still go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity, so you also want to remove/uncheck that option. You don't want any issues with things locking up because system stayed awake but HDD went to sleep :banghead:

:headbang:

(This question might be silly... :oops: But i want to clear my doubt..)
If i am using the computer like(Browsing, Downloading...etc)..Will it go to sleep..?
And if i know that i am not going to use the computer, simply i shut it OFF... Then there wont be any issues with HDD right..?

blazer55555 said:
Thank you BoomR & heddhunter :thumbup:
But what about the option "Wake for network access" ...?? Should i check or Uncheck it..? :think:
Sure i will do that when i complete building my Hackintosh with Gigabyte Z77 Motherboard. I am just waiting for ML, Native Ivy bridge kernel, Kepler graphic cards support, HD 4000, Z77 mobo recomendation by Tony.. :headbang:

Wake for network access is probably irrelevant, since your Mac will likely not go to sleep. It just means that if you run, say, a media server on your Mac, you can access it if your computer sleeps.

blazer55555 said:
If i am using the computer like(Browsing, Downloading...etc)..Will it go to sleep..?
And if i know that i am not going to use the computer, simply i shut it OFF... Then there wont be any issues with HDD right..?

:banghead: You don't understand the meaning of the word "inactivity" that I used, when compared to your statement, "If I am using the computer...." ?? :banghead: :lol:

Inactivity = leaving computer on, but getting called away because someone is at your door & they drug you out of the house for a beer. You were in the middle of a Logic editing session & left your computer on (and hadn't saved your most recent edits). After a certain amount of time, your HDD would 'spin down' aka "go to sleep." Depending on your other hardware components, when you came back & realized your goof, your computer may "freeze up" as your HDD spins back up (or tries to spin back up) - either temporarily, or possibly for a more extended period of time, causing you to lose your work & have to "force quit" or even worse, do a hard reset.

THAT is one of many examples of why, IF you chose the "no-sleep" energy settings, you should also un-check the box about HDD sleeping... :wave:

BoomR said:
blazer55555 said:

:banghead: You don't understand the meaning of the word "inactivity" that I used, when compared to your statement, "If I am using the computer...." ?? :banghead: :lol:

Inactivity = leaving computer on, but getting called away because someone is at your door & they drug you out of the house for a beer. You were in the middle of a Logic editing session & left your computer on (and hadn't saved your most recent edits). After a certain amount of time, your HDD would 'spin down' aka "go to sleep." Depending on your other hardware components, when you came back & realized your goof, your computer may "freeze up" as your HDD spins back up (or tries to spin back up) - either temporarily, or possibly for a more extended period of time, causing you to lose your work & have to "force quit" or even worse, do a hard reset.

THAT is one of many examples of why, IF you chose the "no-sleep" energy settings, you should also un-check the box about HDD sleeping... :wave:

I have my hard disks set to sleep and I haven't had any problems. Yet. Knock on wood :)

The other kind of sleep (ie: whole computer turns mostly-but-not-entirely off) is a whole different kettle of fish. I have that disabled. My computer won't wake up properly once it goes to sleep.

shibirian said:
My advice would be get yourself a real sound card, like the soundblaster
:lol: :lol:

I'm using both FW400 ports from my mother board and my PCI-controller with two FW800 ports. No glitches/pops/trouble at all when using my Apogee and MOTU interfaces with the internal FW400 ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back