Contribute
Register

Do Apple Peripherals Enhance the Mac Experience?

Do you think Apple Peripherals Enhance the Hack experience?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Apple Peripherals Enhance the Mac Experience?

In my opinion, the answer is yes. I have all three:

9424C5CB-FBF6-4BA9-A6F4-440B096C1CC9-6038-000005575674C580.jpg

I used to use a mac keyboard with my hack but now i got a razer black widow ultimate mac edition and a razer mouse witch i like alot more then the apple keyboard and the magic mouse i had. but it is a mac layout on the keyboard witch in my opinion is a must!

I prefer my Logitech K750 for mac and Logitech Anywhere MX over the apple keyboard and mouse.

As others have said, it all comes down to personal tastes/needs/wants.. I started with the wired Apple keyboard, which is a thing of beauty. About a year or so later, I picked up a refurbished 27" LED Cinema Display and next came the Magic Trackpad.. all I need now is the case or perhaps a real Mac :)

I got to give it to some people on the board/ When I was venturing into Hp4530s-land, we had a chat and the general consensus of people with real macs was that the Touchpad was the best thing they invented especially on the MacBooks. I wasn't all that convinced really...
But yes, Apple is like a drug and even with a fully functional machine or 2, they still weren't macs. Well, that's changed. And really... ok, it is a matter of taste, but that Touchpad Apple makes.... oh dear... they really got this down to a science don't they.
I started loving the gestures and love the 'back' in Safari, it's so much faster than trying to get to that darn button up there. And so I bought a Touchpad for the Mhack as well, and linked it with a USB dongle (Belkin 2.1). It's just magic.
There are two things I discovered when looking at that Touchpad: it's actually got a really thin glass plate for surface, and the click sensors are inside the feet the whole Touchpad rests on. How cool is that....

I also own the full size Apple keyboard and am really grateful that all the mice and the Touchpad work on it. I got a (white :D ) Logitech mouse on the left, simply because it offers a quick way of getting the right mouse button to work, and it resembles the way and the hardware I use professionally.
On the right a wired Mighty Mouse with the ball... just for when i need to do some extra fine work where I need some more precision (I'm ambidextrous but the left in computing is still a little behind in coordination). Also on the right the Touchpad, man it is great to have that.

So wherever I grab: I never miss :D !!!

Also recently I got Airplay to work with the AV Receiver and the iPhones. You gotta give it to them, that's some slick ****. Quality ain't all that bad, as long as the volume ain't going all the way up. It still doesn't beat a good audiophile CD player but then I don't expect it to.

The fact that the keyboards and mice also work on hacks, is just icing on the cake but it certainly is a good (but probably unplanned?) strategy to sucker people into buying Apple products. But I don't mind, cause they really got this down to a science. In my daily life I use Logitech k/b and mouse though, I've gotten used to them since forever and have one that has to be like 11 years or older. But it still is going strong. It takes abuse well (so far) and isn't nearly as dangerous in flight compared to the old IBM tactile keyboards that weigh a ton :D
The MAC keyboard is good too, like the feel but the MBP keyboard lacks a decent size enter key. That's the only gripe I got.

Also recently I got Airplay to work with the AV Receiver and the iPhones. You gotta give it to them, that's some slick ****. Quality ain't all that bad, as long as the volume ain't going all the way up. It still doesn't beat a good audiophile CD player but then I don't expect it to.

AirPlay is indeed very slick ****. I also recently picked up an AirPort Express, plugged it in and OS X detected it on my network and automatically launched AirPort Utility to set it up. I haven't had any problems with sound quality at any volume, but I'm not expecting audiophile CD quality either. I mostly use it for streaming Spotify from the hackintosh to my A/V receiver, but streaming from the iPhone and iPad works great as well.

Apple certainly has perfected the entire user experience.. a result of tightly controlling the hardware to run their software, which ironically led us to the point of being able to run their software on PC hardware and still have pretty much the same user experience.

I think Apple displays are a waste of money, but there is no better peripheral for me than the Magic Trackpad. No one else makes a trackpad that good.

I'd sooner strangle myself with a mouse cord than use any Apple mouse. Even with the real Macs I use at work the first thing most people do is toss the P.O.S. Apple mouse and use a better third party mouse. (For me, my trusty Microsoft Wireless 5000)

I do like the standard Apple keyboards though, use them at work, but with my Hack, I prefer my Logitech DiNovo keyboard that's been going strong for years now.

I may eventually get a Magic Trackpad- that's probably the only Apple peripheral I want on my Hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back