Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX950 2GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,

Long story short: one morning the DisplayPort stopped working on my machine.

After a long period of shitty displays your guy finally got himself some love - ASUS PA279CV. Superior Color Accuracy 3840x 2160 and all of that.
Everything was beautiful - I had 4k resolution, 60Hz, it was amazing. One evening I chose to put my machine on Sleep instead of shutting it down.
(Yes, that was a mistake. I'm not proud of it, although I have been doing it in the past and everything seemed to be fine. The only annoying thing was that the computer kept waking up at random times and then going back to sleep after anywhere from 30s to 5 minutes.)
So when I woke up the next day and woke the machine back on, it wouldn't give any signal (black screen). After restarting the system several times I plugged the HDMI cable and got the display to work.
Now for a few weeks my monitor has been running at 30Hz and it's really annoying.

Now I don't know if it's my display or the computer and I don't have the ability to check it. I don't have a second display with a DP nor I have a machine that has DP output. The display is less than 3 months old.

I wish you guys could help me find a solution. Maybe there is an easy workaround?
I'm scared of reinstalling the OS because I need this computer for work and when I was setting up this machine, it took me 2-4 weeks to actually have it running. But I'm also tempted to update because living in el cap land is a bit like going to visit your grandma in a retirement home and staying there. Everything becomes obsolete over time.

i7 4790-k
GeForce GTX 950
16GB Ram
256GB M.2 Storage
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

Yours truly

If you want to upgrade to Catalina you'll have to remove the GTX 950 and install with the iGPU instead.
The other option is to buy a supported Nvidia Kepler or AMD graphics card. That way you can use DP and get 4K/60Hz. Note that the GT 710 only has HDMI 1.4 and will only give you 30Hz at a 4K resolution.

If you want to upgrade to Catalina you'll have to remove the GTX 950 and install with the iGPU instead.
The other option is to buy a supported Nvidia Kepler or AMD graphics card. That way you can use DP and get 4K/60Hz. Note that the GT 710 only has HDMI 1.4 and will only give you 30Hz at a 4K resolution.
Ok what if Mojave is enough for me? Would that make it easier?

Ok what if Mojave is enough for me? Would that make it easier?
The 950 has no Mojave drivers. You could install 10.13.6 High Sierra but that's the newest OS version possible.

The 950 has no Mojave drivers. You could install 10.13.6 High Sierra but that's the newest OS version possible.
So updating right now wouldn't do much. Also I'm not planning on investing in a new graphics card in the near future.
How would my machine with a GTX 950 and a 4790k compare to something like an M1 Mac Mini? Would I see the benefit in upgrading to Apple's new lineup?
Working mostly with audio and video

Would I see the benefit in upgrading to Apple's new lineup?
Working mostly with audio and video
For working with audio the M1 is a lot better. For video you are limited to their integrated gfx which is OK but not great. For running audio programs an M1 mini with 16GB is the best choice.

For working with audio the M1 is a lot better. For video you are limited to their integrated gfx which is OK but not great. For running audio programs an M1 mini with 16GB is the best choice.
Thank you for all the help. Do you have any idea why DisplayPort output could've stopped working? Where could I check such things? Clover Configurator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back