2. iMac
  3. Performa
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all hoping someone can help here.

Got an Ati Sapphire 5770 with 3 screens attached, the card has 2xdvi sockets and one display port and one hdmi.

2 monitors on the dvi are fine, the other is plugged into an active display port to dvi adaptor.

Now the stupid thing is it works on boot and loading screen but when the logon screen comes up the monitor looses signal and goes to standby.

Running OSX 10.6.8. The mac still tells me that it has 3 screens plugged in, and the resolution etc. Even in system information it gives all the correct info including the display serial number and all the adaptor info too.

It works just fine in windows. Just cant get the monitor to come back on in osx even if i change res etc

any help or advise ??????

I think this'll answer:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... isplayport

You basically need a connection on the DisplayPort that conforms to what EyeFinicky needs. Otherwise, it'll switch down to 2 connections.

What's the difference between active DisplayPort dongles and passive DisplayPort dongles?

Passive dongles use the DisplayPort connection to receive non-DP signaling from the connector and they 'passively' adjust the signals to be compliant with the connected monitor. Passive dongles are considered legacy connections, not DisplayPort connections, therefore they do not fulfill the DisplayPort connection requirement mentioned previously and cannot be used to enable 3 or more displays. They do, however, offer an affordable solution to adapt legacy displays to DisplayPort connections.

Active dongles use true DisplayPort signaling to 'actively' translate and re-transmit the signals as the required outputs. Because they use the true DisplayPort signaling, they are considered a DisplayPort connection and meet the requirements to enable 3 or more displays.

DisplayPort to DL-DVI dongles require an external power supply which is usually through a separate USB connection (the USB connection must meet the USB 'high power' specification).

Crap, just realized you said it works in Windows. Oh well.

Indeed, it is an active adaptor, and it works ont the post screen, boot selector screen, the booting screen with the apple logo, right up to where you login which is where it shuts off!!

confused.com

yep same problem here with my Batmobile 5770.

Try the key press solution of Shift + Control + eject. This will put the monitor to sleep and then mouse click or keyboard to wake. My 30" Apple Cinema display goes black after boot, but works fine after this technique. I have the batmobile 5770. Worth a try. :thumbup:

JohnnyMac2001 said:
Try the key press solution of Shift + Control + eject. This will put the monitor to sleep and then mouse click or keyboard to wake. My 30" Apple Cinema display goes black after boot, but works fine after this technique. I have the batmobile 5770. Worth a try. :thumbup:

Err...what if you don't have a mac keyboard? :lol:

Solved the display port issue :)

With the thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23939&start=50

Page 6, Did backup, updated to 10.6.8, then moved out the exisitng Ati files (just in case) ati5000controller, atiframebuffer and atisupport, then deleted them.

The downloaded the kexts in the post at the top.

Downloaded kext wizard, went to install and dropped in the 3 replacement kexts.
When it had done, went back to the maintenance tab, selected all and run the repair tasks.

Rebooted and the both DVI ports and Display port are working.
Have rebooted a number of times and its all still going.

The only thing I have noticed is before the login screen comes up I just get blue screens for 30 secs+ then some garbled graphics then the login window appears.

Also on rearranging screens in display prefs its slow, you make a change and it goes back to the blue screens for 10-15 secs.

Also as others have said the app store doesn't want to work but haven't worked through a fix for that.

Mines a Sapphire 5770, well in fact I got two of them, in crossfire (not that that works in osx). But if it does break then i can always use dvi-vga on the other card, but then the mac thinks its got 4 monitors!

So far unable to restore app store, itune store works ok :confused:
the offending command is this:

Application Specific Information:
Assertion failed: (kern_hw_info_values.vramSize), function glrCompOpenDevice, file /SourceCache/GraphicsDrivers/GraphicsDrivers-6.36.10/Common/GLRenderer/ATI/R800/atir800_compute_device.c, line 108.

4pack said:
Running OSX 10.6.8. The mac still tells me that it has 3 screens plugged in, and the resolution etc. Even in system information it gives all the correct info including the display serial number and all the adaptor info too.

It works just fine in windows. Just cant get the monitor to come back on in osx even if i change res etc

any help or advise ??????
There is a much simpler solution. As of 10.6.8, Apple modified ATI5000Controller.kext so it enabled DP with only Hoolock and Langur framebuffers. Edit the info.plist with your working framebuffer (i.e., Vervet on 5770) for Langur and DP on your 5770 works. I used the fix successfully on 5870 (Uakari for Hoolock) since 10.6.8. Credit: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,864.msg6153.html#msg6153, redratto, reply 29.

user314159 said:
JohnnyMac2001 said:

Err...what if you don't have a mac keyboard? :lol:
hmm.. never thought of that. :lol:
If you can get to a screen to be able to set a hot corner to sleep in screen saver. You can move the mouse arrow to that corner and then click to wake. I also installed the Dockables and set SleepDisplay app in my boot list in User and that works. Just have to remember to click the mouse or keyboard when I get the black screen. :D

toleda said:
There is a much simpler solution. As of 10.6.8, Apple modified ATI5000Controller.kext so it enabled DP with only Hoolock and Langur framebuffers. Edit the info.plist with your working framebuffer (i.e., Vervet on 5770) for Langur and DP on your 5770 works. I used the fix successfully on 5870 (Uakari for Hoolock) since 10.6.8. Credit: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,864.msg6153.html#msg6153, redratto, reply 29.

hmm thx, I'll have a dig into that later, atm it all reads like double dutch as have no idea what vervet is ? If I look in the info.plist file in the ati5000 controller kext I can see ref to hoolock and langur...

Are you saying I simply replace the text where is says "Aty,Langur" with "Aty,Vervet"??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back