Contribute
Register

didii's Claire9 Haswell build: Asus Maximus VI Impact | i5-4670k | GTX 650 TI Boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of doing a build with this motherboard and GTX 780. I'm a hackintosh newb so I'm trying to be cautious before ordering anything lol. Do you recommend this board? Is everything running perfectly in Mavericks like ethernet, HDMI, etc.? The reason why I'm considering this board is explained in this thread. Thanks for any help and for all the hard work you've already shared in this thread! :headbang:

I'm thinking of doing a build with this motherboard and GTX 780. I'm a hackintosh newb so I'm trying to be cautious before ordering anything lol. Do you recommend this board? Is everything running perfectly in Mavericks like ethernet, HDMI, etc.? The reason why I'm considering this board is explained in this thread. Thanks for any help and for all the hard work you've already shared in this thread! :headbang:

Hey there. Yeah, im thinking to upgrade mine into a GTX 780 too, but need to save up a bit more :D.
Well, it's yes and no, actually. I can say yes because it can run OSX with no problem, ethernet, audio, wifi, and bluetooth works (I didn't try the integrated HDMI and Displayport, tho; since im using the GTX 650). Besides that, as i stated in my first post, the installation process was easier than my previous Z77 gigabyte build. The only problem I have with this board is that i have to boot the system using a USB flashdisk.

What r u going to use this build for, btw? Because if u're only going to use this board for OSX, i reckon go for mITX gigabyte boards. They're recommended, and considered to be very compatible boards for hackintoshes. However, if u're into OC-ing, gaming, etc. on Windows, it might be a good one, since this ROG board has plenty of softwares included.

Hope that helps, man. Thanks, and keep shredding :thumbup: :headbang:

Thanks bro! I'll run Windows 8.1 for Battlefield 4 and Mavericks for work/music/general. Don't really need to OC because of small case/heat. I only have two board choices as I'm getting it pre-built from Digital Storm: ASUS H87I-PLUS or MAXIMUS VI IMPACT.

Or I could just build my own, but I'd rather spend a little more for the convenience. I figure why not, it's got good components, comes in a custom case that is sick and has a good warranty. I was just gonna get an iMac w/780m, but really don't like the idea of AIO. Plus I can't see spending so much and only getting 660 Ti performance. Many screen issues, etc.

Would you recommend running each OS on a separate hdd? I could order two SSD's if that helps much.

Hopefully someone comes up with a better boot solution. It's not a deal breaker for me though. So I take it you just set the bios to always boot to flash drive. Then do you have to manually select the OS each time? Is the entire boot process that much slower than a regular mac?

I'm just amazed this is even possible. I was going around in circles trying to decide on a setup: Gaming PC & Mac Mini -- or an iMac. I thought if I got a gaming PC I'd still need a Mac Mini or something.

Thanks for all the help bro, you made my day/week/year! :D

Nice build :D

I have the Maximus VI Gene, VI Formula and VI Impact and love them all. To fix the boot issue follow this guide.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

It works perfectly with Chimera.

Thanks, PJALM :thumbup:.

Yeah, i tried that method, but it screwed up my windows partition. Idk why tho. Regardless of the installation order of the OSes, it gave me problems. It gave me either "No operating system found" text, or I just simply couldnt boot up to windows. So, i guess i'll just stick with booting through USB.

Are you multi booting your hack too, btw?

Thanks bro! I'll run Windows 8.1 for Battlefield 4 and Mavericks for work/music/general. Don't really need to OC because of small case/heat. I only have two board choices as I'm getting it pre-built from Digital Storm: ASUS H87I-PLUS or MAXIMUS VI IMPACT.

Ahhh, ic ic. Yeah pretty much the same as me then. Windows for gaming, and OSX for general/music use.

Or I could just build my own, but I'd rather spend a little more for the convenience. I figure why not, it's got good components, comes in a custom case that is sick and has a good warranty. I was just gonna get an iMac w/780m, but really don't like the idea of AIO. Plus I can't see spending so much and only getting 660 Ti performance. Many screen issues, etc.

That's true, Digital Storm bolt has a very sick look! So yeah, why not.

Would you recommend running each OS on a separate hdd? I could order two SSD's if that helps much.

Tbh, i've never run those 2 OSes on separate SSD :p. I don't really have the space and budget for another SSD. So what i always do is to use the SSD as the OS drive, and use a normal hdd for data storage. music, videos, docs, pr0ns, etc. Basically i use it as my home folder.

However, theoretically, separating the OSes into different drives would be better. So if u have the budget and space for another SSD, why not.

Hopefully someone comes up with a better boot solution. It's not a deal breaker for me though. So I take it you just set the bios to always boot to flash drive. Then do you have to manually select the OS each time? Is the entire boot process that much slower than a regular mac?

I'm just amazed this is even possible. I was going around in circles trying to decide on a setup: Gaming PC & Mac Mini -- or an iMac. I thought if I got a gaming PC I'd still need a Mac Mini or something.

Thanks for all the help bro, you made my day/week/year!

Yeah, i disabled all of the boot devices except my USB. Yeah, we manually select the OS from the bootloader, Chimera.
Hmmm, It's not much slower. To get into the login screen, my white macbook with samsung 840 pro (Sata II connection) takes around 26 sec. This maximus impact hack takes 30 sec. So only 4 sec difference.

I'll post something here when i found the solution for this boot issue.

You're welcome, man. We help each others here :thumbup:. In the meantime, you can consult with other forum members too.

Thanks man! Have you tried the bluetooth yet? I'm planning on using the Apple bluetooth keyboard & trackpad in OS X.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please test the integrated hdmi or displayport?

My hardware arrived \o/.

I've patched 1102 BIOS using PMPatch (under Windows, OSX version was throwing "Illegal operation" error).
Loaded it using USB trick: rename to M6I.CAP, put on FAT formatted USB drive, insert into bottom left port (assuming board is lying flat), turn off board, press ROG Connect for 5 seconds.

It survived 24h stress testing under Linux - http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/270704 - optimized defaults + XMP profile.

Now it's time to install OS X :)

Nice build :D

I have the Maximus VI Gene, VI Formula and VI Impact and love them all. To fix the boot issue follow this guide.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

It works perfectly with Chimera.

I can't seem to get this method to work...
I followed didii's guide have my USB drive using it to boot

not sure what i am doing wrong on that guide......

really want to eliminate the USB drive for booting

oh btw here is my system

Asus Maximus VI Impact
i7-4770k
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600
Radeon 5870 HD
120GB Patriot Pyro SE for OX X
2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP
1x 1TB Barracuda 7200

Fully water cooled using
1x 120mm Black Ice GTX gen 2 W/ 2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans
1 Black Ice GTX M160 dual 80mm rad, 2 80 mm Arctic F8 PWM fans
EK Supremacy Nickel Block
Primochill Revolver Fittings and Primochill Rigid acrylic pipe
EK 4.0 pump/res combo

All housed in the Silverstone FT03b Case

will eventually be adding a 5th drive using the m.2 SSD slot for my windows 8.1 drive...

Got it to boot without the USB, followed the EFI Partition boot seems to be working, BT/WiFi and iMessage...
NOW how to upgrade to 10.9.1 lol.... thought my install disk was up to date...guess not.

Thanks man! Have you tried the bluetooth yet? I'm planning on using the Apple bluetooth keyboard & trackpad in OS X.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please test the integrated hdmi or displayport?

Yup, i tried the bluetooth using my magic mouse. it works :D. Idk about the keyboard and trackpad, tho. but it supposed to work.

For HDMI from the integrated graphics card, it works, but no QE/CI. I tried different options listed from this link http://www.tonymacx86.com/378-new-intel-hd-graphics-boot-flags-chimera.html , but nothing works atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back