Contribute
Register

Did bootloader or macOS brick my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Hi,

I setup Catalina on my Thinkpad x230 and everything was working great until I closed the lid and left the laptop for 2 days unplugged and completely drained the main battery. I now cannot get the system post. It turns on but never gets to the post screen. Tried pulling the CMOS battery to reset BIOS but still nothing. Tried draining capacitors by pressing/holding power a bunch of times but still nothing.

Is it possible bootloader or macOS wrote to BIOS when going into hibernate mode?

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2x E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
yeah, pulled it too but no luck. laptop turns on, lights flash, power button green, but never gets to the post screen.

Motherboard
Laptop
CPU
I7 8750H
Graphics
HD630/GTX1050ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I think u should try unplug the main battery and the CMOS Battery in order to reset the Bios Setting

Motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
I think u should try unplug the main battery and the CMOS Battery in order to reset the Bios Setting
yes, tried that. I agree, I think resetting BIOS would do the trick but even unplugging the CMOS battery doesn't seem to work. I would think if it's bricked than all the lights and stuff wouldn't work.

Motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
mcdonnelltech to the rescue again. Removed both sticks and hdd, powered on, 1-3-3-1 beeps, powered off, inserted one stick in the left slot (left if the palm rest is closest to you, right slot doesn’t work), turned on and POSTed, powered off, inserted second stick and hdd, powered on and macOS loaded fine.

Also disabled hibernate using: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.