Contribute
Register

Did bootloader or macOS brick my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Hi,

I setup Catalina on my Thinkpad x230 and everything was working great until I closed the lid and left the laptop for 2 days unplugged and completely drained the main battery. I now cannot get the system post. It turns on but never gets to the post screen. Tried pulling the CMOS battery to reset BIOS but still nothing. Tried draining capacitors by pressing/holding power a bunch of times but still nothing.

Is it possible bootloader or macOS wrote to BIOS when going into hibernate mode?

yeah, pulled it too but no luck. laptop turns on, lights flash, power button green, but never gets to the post screen.

I think u should try unplug the main battery and the CMOS Battery in order to reset the Bios Setting

I think u should try unplug the main battery and the CMOS Battery in order to reset the Bios Setting
yes, tried that. I agree, I think resetting BIOS would do the trick but even unplugging the CMOS battery doesn't seem to work. I would think if it's bricked than all the lights and stuff wouldn't work.

mcdonnelltech to the rescue again. Removed both sticks and hdd, powered on, 1-3-3-1 beeps, powered off, inserted one stick in the left slot (left if the palm rest is closest to you, right slot doesn’t work), turned on and POSTed, powered off, inserted second stick and hdd, powered on and macOS loaded fine.

Also disabled hibernate using: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back