Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 18 - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... I finally saw the "plugin-type" that you were referring to. Set to '0' or 'zero'?

Doesn't matter, both are the same. Or, like I said, you can remove the entire _DSM method section.

Ok... I finally saw the "plugin-type" that you were referring to. Set to '0' or 'zero'?

OMGOMGOMG!!! (excuse my girly excitement...) we have a change... lol... I changed the "plugin-type" from one to zero and it now shows "Current State: 19 P States: 8, 10, 13, 16, 19"

browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/223362

I still saw the I/O Errors. Current state went to 19 all through running geekbench, then it's down to 8 now that i'm not touching the computer.

OMGOMGOMG!!! (excuse my girly excitement...) we have a change... lol... I changed the "plugin-type" from one to zero and it now shows "Current State: 19 P States: 8, 10, 13, 16, 19"

browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/223362

I still saw the I/O Errors. Current state went to 19 all through running geekbench, then it's down to 8 now that i'm not touching the computer.

Nice! I'm not sure why Ivy PM (x86platformplugin) cannot be made to work on your computer, but Sandy Bridge PM is a good enough substitute. I'm sure the computer feels quite a bit quicker now...

Nice! I'm not sure why Ivy PM (x86platformplugin) cannot be made to work on your computer, but Sandy Bridge PM is a good enough substitute. I'm sure the computer feels quite a bit quicker now...

Actually, I did notice that Geekbench only took approximately 3 minutes to run, vs. the almost 10 it took before.

I'm going to go ahead and do the battery fix now, then I'm going to attempt to tackle the sound... wish me luck!

That is, unless you have another suggestion... I noticed that I cant log into icloud. Therefore, I cannot log into the appstore.

Actually, I did notice that Geekbench only took approximately 3 minutes to run, vs. the almost 10 it took before.

I'm going to go ahead and do the battery fix now, then I'm going to attempt to tackle the sound... wish me luck!

That is, unless you have another suggestion... I noticed that I cant log into icloud. Therefore, I cannot log into the appstore.

App Store access requires working Ethernet at 'en0'. Do you have Ethernet drivers installed yet?

I've not bothered with ethernet since my computer doesnt have a place for hard-wire connection. Which kext do you suggest I try to install?

I've not bothered with ethernet since my computer doesnt have a place for hard-wire connection. Which kext do you suggest I try to install?

So it has no Ethernet? In that case, you must get the onboard WiFi working to have access to the App Store, replacing the card if necessary.

I'm a little freaked about replacing something inside this unit. I'll need to keep the cost down. I'm attaching pictures of the inside of the back of this computer. I'm thinking it's going to be off to one side... it was the smaller, squarish shaped card I believe... of course I could be wrong. I've completely disassembled my Dell Inspiron 1545 and put it back together completely working. This unit, Im alittle more hesitant because it's so new and there arent really many videos, if any, of someone teaching you to disassemble it to change out parts.

20131119_175625.jpg20131119_175634.jpg20131119_175641.jpg20131119_175648_resized.jpg

So it has no Ethernet? In that case, you must get the onboard WiFi working to have access to the App Store, replacing the card if necessary.

I do have access to the internet via a USB wifi device. But the Wifi card inside, the Intel card, isnt working, only for bluetooth.

I'm a little freaked about replacing something inside this unit. I'll need to keep the cost down. I'm attaching pictures of the inside of the back of this computer. I'm thinking it's going to be off to one side... it was the smaller, squarish shaped card I believe... of course I could be wrong. I've completely disassembled my Dell Inspiron 1545 and put it back together completely working. This unit, Im alittle more hesitant because it's so new and there arent really many videos, if any, of someone teaching you to disassemble it to change out parts.

View attachment 74718View attachment 74719View attachment 74720View attachment 74721

I don't see the WiFi card from that side, so it might be on the other. It would be a good idea to download a service manual so you're aware of how to find/replace the WiFi card.

BTW, half-mini PCIe is roughly square in shape and usually has 2 or three antenna leads (very small coax) as well as a couple of screws securing it. It is usually installed much like a SODIMM ram stick.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have access to the internet via a USB wifi device. But the Wifi card inside, the Intel card, isnt working, only for bluetooth.

Problem with USB WiFi is there is no way to make it appear "built-in", so no App Store (as well as other services).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back