Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 15Z (L511Z) OS X Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

New to this thread, but have a few active posts on some other threads/forums. A couple of quick questions:

1) As our Intel-Centrino 6230 card doesn't work, which wifi mini pci-e card replacements have you guys used instead?

2) So far I've only managed to get voodoohda working - has someone successfully patched the AppleHDA kext instead?

3) ALPS trackpad driver - has anyone enabled multi-finger scrolling?

That's all for now!

Cheers
jkbuha

I've figured out my graphics problems thanks to jkbuha, check out his solution here if you're having problems with glitchy/freezing graphics:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54375

and to jkbuha, I just ordered the DW1510 as that's what most people have been using as a replacement since it works natively.

last thing: i'm coming across an issue where i can get the battery icon in my menu bar, but it says no battery is detected. anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

Hello.

Would anyone be so kind as to post a step by step guide on how to achieve the most latest progress with the Dell XPS15z?

What is the status with this machine anyway, is mostly everything useable?

Thanks.

I'm having trouble getting my retail Snow Leopard to load from iBoot Legacy. I have changed the bios settings that I can (which was nothing because it was already set to AHCI and I don't have an option for HPET) but wanted to avoid taking out my ram if possible. I also have not cleared my hard drive yet, hoping my computer would at least recognize Snow Leopard before I wiped everything. After I boot iBoot I put in the Snow Leopard disc and press f5, the iBoot disc disappears, but Snow Leopard does not take its place. I'm ashamed to say I can hardly get past step 1 of this process o_O

Processor: Core i5 2430M---2.4 Ghz
Ram: 6GB DDR3
HDD: 500 GB
Graphic card: 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 802.11 agn (2x2)

my screen will dim when switching to certain windows/applications, anyone else have this issue too? really annoying, and i doubt its a hardware problem. i've tried wen1's dsdt and starfire's dsdt from page 3 but still get the dimming.

*EDIT*
I've discovered that this happens because the new XPS monitors detect the colors on the screen and automatically dims for darker backgrounds and brightens for lighter ones (dumbest most annoying design ever). In windows if you go to battery options and uncheck "enable intelligent display," this actually turns a switch in the hardware that the screen will remember when you boot up into osx, and voila no more annoying dimming/flickering!

If you install Voodoobattery it should detect your battery correctly.

dodgeme said:
If you install Voodoobattery it should detect your battery correctly.

thanks dodgeme. I'm using a dsdt (starfire's i think) that breaks battery and tried the wen1 dsdt you linked to, but for some reason it breaks graphics now...i think maybe he might've updated it. could you post your dsdt?

also from the same thread you linked to, DoiX's guide includes a dsdt that turns off our NVIDIA card and thus saves power. with the boot.plist he includes it results in panics for us, so i'm uploading one that works with it. check out displays in system reports and you'll now see that only hd 3000 exists. enjoy!

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    566 bytes · Views: 317
Graphics work fine for me. Are you using SMBIOS for the Macbook Pro 8,1

dodgeme said:
Graphics work fine for me. Are you using SMBIOS for the Macbook Pro 8,1

ah using that one fixes the graphics. but unfortunately my battery icon still has the X through it, and i'm using the voodoobattery + acpi kexts for lion. maybe it has to do with the speedstepping, could you post a link to the instructions you used for that? thanks a lot, i'm almost there with a perfect hackbook.

I'm not entirely sure my speedstepping is working right but it seems to be and I actually forget where I went but for 10.7.3 if you look up a patch it runs in terminal and you can patch AICPU and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back