Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 15Z (L511Z) OS X Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
z_n154 said:
No, I used an older method to make the install from the Lion App. It got it up and working to be used with NullCPU, but stopped when I installed again and tried to boot from DSDT. I haven't tried Unibeast yet.

For mine, I used UniBeast and then used then once i had it installed I used Mulibeast for VoodooHDA 2.7.2 for audio, I copied my extras folder from the USB to my my main HD and then made sure the DSDT was working. I also did a Combo update to 10.7.2 (my Lion App was for 10.7.0) this should get you up and going if you use Unibeast then we should both be at the same point.

Anyone care to help me out? It'd be much appreciated. I'm on an XPS 15z like the rest of you.

I successfully used Unibeast to create a USB boot. Set BIOS to ACHI (sp?) and selected USB to be first in the boot order. The bootloader (Chimera/Chameleon?) loaded and I initially tried running it without any edits. Nothing but a black screen. Tried it with GraphicsEnabler=No and got to the apple logo with the spinning wheel. Eventually a little no symbol appeared and nothing else. I used the -v option (with the GraphicsEnabler=No) and it hung up while waiting for root. I then tried with combinations of -x, -f, -v, GraphicsEnabler=No, and still sat waiting for root.

I then added the DSDT posted earlier in the thread to the Extra file AND the main directory of the USB drive. Still, hung up while waiting for root. It did seem to identify the custom DSDT though.

I also tried Sinikai's trick involving the PXCHD.kext and moving the USB drive around while waiting for root. The computer recognized the removal and insertion of the drive, but still sat waiting for the root.

Any ideas? I feel like I'm missing something obvious...

saxopwn said:
Anyone care to help me out? It'd be much appreciated. I'm on an XPS 15z like the rest of you.

I successfully used Unibeast to create a USB boot. Set BIOS to ACHI (sp?) and selected USB to be first in the boot order. The bootloader (Chimera/Chameleon?) loaded and I initially tried running it without any edits. Nothing but a black screen. Tried it with GraphicsEnabler=No and got to the apple logo with the spinning wheel. Eventually a little no symbol appeared and nothing else. I used the -v option (with the GraphicsEnabler=No) and it hung up while waiting for root. I then tried with combinations of -x, -f, -v, GraphicsEnabler=No, and still sat waiting for root.

I then added the DSDT posted earlier in the thread to the Extra file AND the main directory of the USB drive. Still, hung up while waiting for root. It did seem to identify the custom DSDT though.

I also tried Sinikai's trick involving the PXCHD.kext and moving the USB drive around while waiting for root. The computer recognized the removal and insertion of the drive, but still sat waiting for the root.

Any ideas? I feel like I'm missing something obvious...

Unzip this file and place it in the root of your Mac HD. Keep your "Themes" folder mine for od reason was wayyyy oversized (About 600MB) need to investigate that. boot with one of these that usually work for me

PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No -v
PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No -v -x
GraphicsEnabler=No -v
GraphicsEnabler=No -v -x

note, you may need an external mouse on first boot.

Attachments

• PLACE_IN_ROOT.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 126
Now upon loading the Unibeast USB key I'm met with a message saying "Operating System not found." I've tried reformatting the USB stick and reusing Unibeast. Same result. What's going on?

saxopwn said:
Now upon loading the Unibeast USB key I'm met with a message saying "Operating System not found." I've tried reformatting the USB stick and reusing Unibeast. Same result. What's going on?

Erase your FlashDrive and use Disk Utility to Format your FlashDrive with a MBR.

USe the files on this page to make your Lion Installer MBR Compatable.

The XPS 15z BIOS CANNOT boot GUID Partition table.

http://www.ig33kstas.com/2011/07/how-to ... op-easily/

Let me know if you need anymore help.

I'm confused. I don't see how those files tie in with the Unibeast installer. Would you be willing to give me a more detailed walkthrough of what you did from square one? It'd be much appreciated.

thx all, ive been following this thread for some time now and it was time to create an account and post.

my installation:

Sleep/Wake/Restart: yes
Webcam: yes
Battery: yes
Keyboard & Mouse: trackpad all over the place...
Audio: VoodooHDA 2.7.2 not working (multibeast)
HDMI: Not Tested
Full Resolution: Working
Optimus: no
Wireless: not working
Ethernet: not working

Problems:
apon installing voodoohda 2.7.2 having problems with freezing and artifacts

System:
i7-2640M
nvidia GT 525M
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 & Bluetooth 3.0
BIOS: A07

For those of you waiting on the guide for this please note that a I am working on it. Also not that I go to school and go to work full time. I will have the guide out sometime in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back