Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 13 9333 (Haswell) - Clover install/DSDT 'guide'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pushed the AppleHDA changes to the repo.
Also added some targets to the Makefile:
Code:
# DSDT patch: from compiled acpi tables to installed patched dsdt/ssdt-1
make distclean disassemble patch && make && make install

# AppleHDA patch: Create injector kext and install in SLE
make patch_hda && sudo make install_hda

Hey Rehabman - I used your NullEthernet.kext to get to the apple store tonight - worked great!
I wrote a short script to get a random MAC and inject it into the ssdt; posting it here in case it can be of use to you or anyone re-packaging your kext within an installer:
Code:
#! /bin/sh

# Patches the template ssdt-rmne.dsl with a random MAC address
NULLETHDIR=./null_eth

MAC=`od -An -N6 -tx1 /dev/urandom | \
sed -e 's/^  */0x/' -e 's/  */, 0x/g' -e 's/, 0x$//'`
sed -e "s/0x11, 0x22, 0x33, 0x44, 0x55, 0x66/$MAC/" \
$NULLETHDIR/ssdt-rmne.dsl > $NULLETHDIR/ssdt-rmne_rand_mac.dsl

Will push this and some other changes to github when I boot back into 10.9.

Quick update after a couple weeks, in case anyone is looking for info on this machine.
First off, it's perfectly stable - no KP, nothing weird in the system logs. Everything works as far as I can tell, except for:

Audio:

Audio through internal speakers is working great with AppleHDA. The headphone port has a serious amount of static which I haven't been able to fix yet (see this thread for more info)

Graphics: Update: Fixed see post #21

Some minor graphical glitches on boot every once in a while (i.e. garbled menu bar - workaround: open mission control - open a new desktop, close the first desktop, problem solved).
This is a commonly mentioned issue with HD4400 driving 1080p or above displays, so I tried the usual suggestions (assign a display profile etc). It worked most of the time but still would occur every once in a while.
Since I couldn't leave good enough alone, I'm experimenting with the 32MB framebuffers that darkvoid kindly listed here.
So far, 0x0a2e000a seems to clean everything up real nice.

Overall very pleased with how this laptop is turning out.

vbo,

I have noticed that when the framebuffer size is off compared to what your card expects I see the following:

• Menu bar apple logo is missing or garbled
  • Menu bar Search (magnifying glass) is missing on garbled
  • Menu text on the bar can get corrupted and appear purplish/pink
  • On the bottom right the background might corrupt and show as TV "snow", but in color (white/pinkish).

Having a matching framebuffer for your display, either a default apple one or custom patched one, resolves all these issues.

For my larger internal display I am using 0x0A2E0008 patched to 128MB stolen memory size (Framebuffer 64 MB), but I get good results (No glitches or on an external monitor at 1920x1080 with 0x0A260005 (The official MacBook Air ig-platform-id), so you could give that a try.

Audio:

Audio through internal speakers is working great with AppleHDA. The headphone port has a serious amount of static which I haven't been able to fix yet (see this thread for more info)

My audio is at the same state, as I also have the Realtek ALC668 codec.
I have used information from your github to get mine working, speakers are indeed fine, but the headphone seems to only give static.

I have no tested the microphone yet. Also when resuming from sleep I lose audio due to EAPD.
I did see you tried with CodecCommand.kext, but the Info.plist on your github is invalid XML.

Maybe we can work together on resolving the proper ALC668 audio-mapping, I believe we have exactly the same layout and connectors.

Dell XPS 9530 has:

• Stereo internal speakers (EAPD)
  • Headset + microphone plug (all-in-on) (EAPD)
  • Integrated microphone next to the webcam in the screen

I assume the XPS 9333 is not much different.

I will post my linux codec dumps and SVG when I get home.

I did see you tried with CodecCommand.kext, but the Info.plist on your github is invalid XML.

Not sure how I managed that one :) Fixed now:
Code:
[B]--- a/plists/CodecCommander_Info.plist[/B]
[B]+++ b/plists/CodecCommander_Info.plist[/B]
@@ -76,7 +76,7 @@
                                        <key>Update Alternate Node</key>
                                        <integer>0</integer>
                                        <key>Update Headphone Node</key>
-                                       <integer21</integer>
+                                       <integer>21</integer>
                                        <key>Update Speaker Node</key>
                                        <integer>20</integer>
                                </dict>

Maybe we can work together on resolving the proper ALC668 audio-mapping, I believe we have exactly the same layout and connectors.

Dell XPS 9530 has:

• Stereo internal speakers (EAPD)
  • Headset + microphone plug (all-in-on) (EAPD)
  • Integrated microphone next to the webcam in the screen

I assume the XPS 9333 is not much different.

I will post my linux codec dumps and SVG when I get home.
Sounds exactly the same - you can diff your dump against mine to confirm:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/v...master/linux_native/linux_sound/card1_codec#0

When I load CodecCommander with your plist though, sound stops working altogether.

Try again with the codec commander info.plist I just pushed: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/v...6b8c1e7a7c8e/plists/CodecCommander_Info.plist

I changed some settings in the plist at some point, then removed codec commander altogether from my system thinking it might interfere with my testing of different applehda patches. I think the plist I had uploaded on github was crap. The one I just pushed is clean - the kext loads fine and I have sound:
Code:
[B]victor@vbo-mba[/B]:[B]~[/B]$ kextstat | grep Codec
   80    0 0xffffff7f8157d000 0x5000     0x5000     org.tw.CodecCommander (2.1.2) <79 34 7 6 5 4 3 1>

Read your post only just now.

I downloaded the latest revision of CodecCommander and compiled it.

Also tweaked the .plist with our connection identifiers.
It turns out generate stream is not required, so that prevents the volume indicator from popping up when coming back from sleep.

Everything works fine when placed as an injected kext with Clover.
CodecCommander is configured to look for EAPD states indefinitely so it will attach to the audio codec as soon as it becomes available (which is after Clover injection)

Compiled release version with configured plist can be downloaded here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13972199/XPS-9530/CodecCommander.kext.zip

Just to confirm, when you say everything works fine, you mean it fixed the no sound issue that you got thanks to my mangled info.plist, but you still get static through the headphones port, right? I just tried your kext and I still get the same static through HP out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back