Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Custom with C216 Chipset
CPU
E3-1270 V2
Graphics
RX 460
Hello all.

Bought a used Dell Precision T1650 xeon e3-1270 v2 for use in music production. THought I would just use windows for now, but after fiddling with drivers and several virus attacs, I am going back to OSX.

The GPU is a Nvidia GT620 1gb ddr3.

Anyone tried this build?

I am also wondering what version of OSX to use. My current MaxBook Pro is running High Sierra. To new OsX might bring compability issues with software and hardware (I think).

e3-1270 v2
This is an Ivy Bridge Xeon from 2012 so you can certainly run Sierra or High Sierra on this hardware. You don't need Mojave or Catalina even though those would probably work. Try installing HS and see how it goes.

BTW. The computer has 32 gigs of RAM. No WiFi or Bluetooth (using a small ASUS usb wifi dongle now). Also using a Startech Firewire Card

What about the GPU?

On a very limited budget. Just found a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 5850 1GB. Would that work fine?

Thanks. I am planning to write for film. Would I be better off with a little more powerful card? Any second hand suggestions?

Thanks. I am planning to write for film. Would I be better off with a little more powerful card? Any second hand suggestions?
There are used GTX 760s 770s and 780s for sale on Ebay. If you want AMD there are great prices on new RX 570s. Try Newegg for the best deal currently. Cost is only around $125 shipped plus local sales tax added on.

https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-570-100412p4gocl/p/N82E16814202283

These will need supplemental 8 pin power from your PSU. If it doesn't have that there are other ways to make it work with a sata power adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back